Visions by Michio Kaku

Info:ANCHOR BOOKS (1997), Paperback, 403 pages
Collections:Waterloo
Tags:science

Visions: How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century by Michio Kaku

Moderately interesting pop-science book. I would have liked more detailed explanations instead of pleasant aphorisms about the future, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much Kaku got right. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
Interesting to read this book 13 years past the publication date. A lot of the predictions for 2010 were simply far too optimistic. He seemed to go with the best case scenario fro the advancement of technology. Better was at the end the discussion of Type 0 to Type 3 civilizations. ( )
  skraft001 | Feb 26, 2011 |
Forecasting/Forecasts/Genetics/Science/Science/Mathematics/Twenty-first century
  Budzul | Jun 1, 2008 |
Three centuries ago, Isaac Newton wrote: "... to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on a seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385484992, Paperback)

Take it easy: that's Michio Kaku's motto. Given the extraordinary advances science has thrown up in time for the millennium, the only way you could possibly fit them into a single volume is by a correspondingly massive simplification.

Subtitled How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century and Beyond, Visions assumes that, by and large, scientists get to do whatever they like, that all technologies are consumer technologies, and that consumers welcome anything and everything science throws at them. Kaku gets away with this frankly dodgy strategy by dint of sheer hard work. He has based his predictions on interviews with more than 150 renowned working scientists; he integrates these interviews with a huge body of original journalistic material; and, above all, he roots that mass of information on an entirely reasonable model of what the purpose of science will be in the third millennium. Up until now, science has expended its efforts on decoding most of the fundamental natural processes--"the dance," as Kaku puts it, of elementary particles deep inside stars and the rhythms of DNA molecules coiling and uncoiling within our bodies. Science's task now, Kaku believes, is to cross-pollinate advances thrown up by the study of matter, biology, and mind--modern science's three main theaters of endeavor. "We are now making the transition from amateur chess players to grand masters," he writes, "from observers to choreographers of nature." Then again, he also believes that "the Internet ... will eventually become a 'Magic Mirror' that appears in fairy tales, able to speak with the wisdom of the human race." Kaku, in short, deserves a good slapping--but he also deserves to be read. --Simon Ings, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:29 -0400)

New in paperback, from the bestselling author of Hyperspace, this spellbinding. book brings together the cutting-edge research of today's foremost scientists to. explore the science of tomorrow. Michio Kaku describes the development of computers. and artificial intelligence, reveals how the decoding of the genetic structure of. DNA will allow us to alter and reshape our genetic inheritance, and observes how. quantum physicists are perfecting new ways of harnessing the matter andenergy of the. Universe. Visions is an exhilarating adventure into the future of our planet and. ourselves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible