Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden

Of Saints and Shadows

by Christopher Golden

Series: The Shadow Saga (1)

When a mysterious and ancient book called the Gospel of Shadows is stolen from a secret sect dedicated to the destruction of vampires, vampire private detective Peter Octavian is drawn into a desperate search for the missing book.

*Audiobook Review

Narrated by John Lee

Picture
There's nothing better than liking a monster. Peter Octavian is a creature of the night, but he's one of the good guys. Peter is a "Defiant One", a vampire, but he’s so much more than that. He's an investigator, and he's on a case for a friend, to find a missing young lady. Of Saints and Shadows, by Christopher Golden, goes not only into a crime drama, but how vampires go against the church.

When a book is stolen from the Vatican, a mission is set into place. The mission places, through the church's clandestine army, a death sentence on all vampires. Unfortunately, with a particular killer, Liam Mulkerrin, on the job, there's more than just vampires at stake. Anyone who knows of Vampires or who’s had their lives touched by vamps are in danger. It's up to the kind and humanitarian side of Octavian to set things straight, and bring an end to the mystery.
Of Saints and Shadows is an amazing book, though its basic premise is the same as most vamp tales. What makes the novel original, is Peter Octavian. He seems to still hold to his humanity, though he's not been one for hundreds of years. He's a gentle man, looking only to punish those who deserve it- but not through his animal nature, but the law. Until a special legion of sorcerers step into the picture.

I’ve read nothing like it, so I was impressed. Golden found a way to keep the story in realms of both the real world and the paranormal. This book fits into the thriller genre, while bringing those things that go bump in the night to the surface. The narrator, John Lee, made this happen, just as much as the author who wrote it, with his cryptic reading style and perfect voice. The graphic imagery, the history, combined with the reality of the church and protection of the faith made Of Saints and Shadows an excellent vampire read. Check it out, while I move on to the next read!

*For full review: www.areneehunt.com/books-books-books
Of Saints and Shadows
Christopher Golden
JournalStone Publishing
September 23, 2016 ( )
  AReneeHunt | Aug 11, 2017 |
Positively outstanding! A fresh vampire story, while paying homage to all the wonderful myths we love so well. Christopher Golden has flawlessly blended horror, dark fantasy, noir, romance, and adventure into a rollicking good yarn. Shame on me for taking so long to read this! ( )
  agdbk | Apr 4, 2013 |
This supernatural thriller pits vampires against the clergy. High gore factor. A strange book that tried too hard to be different. ( )
  nbermudez | Jul 15, 2011 |
Peter Octavian is a PI in Boston. He is also a vampire who is trying to live as much as a human as possible. He is separated for the vampire community but when a series of obviously supernatural killings come to his attention, he is determined to find the cause. Soon it is up to him to rescue a demonic book from an evil branch of the Catholic church, destroy the magicians who control it, and stop a vampire apocalypse. Whew!!!

I enjoyed this book even though it was bloodier than I usually like. The bloodiness was not in the entire book so there were breaks. It took a bit to get some of the concepts in this world, the church is basically controlling all the evil beings in the world, except vampires. The characters in the book are pretty irresistable though. Peter Octavian is very compelling. I am curious to see where this story is going. I can't believe that I only learned about it recently. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | May 23, 2011 |
I was so happy to see Christopher Golden's Shadow Saga getting re-released in new editions with an emphasis on urban fantasy, and a new volume on the way. This is my favorite vampire novel, right alongside with "The Vampire Lestat." These two are my favorites for the same reason - they are very original, and have dynamic, charismatic vampire protagonists. Plus, I like when vampires are not all evil - it's more fun when their motives are just as murky as a human's. Peter Octavian is a private investigator, and a vampire. The Catholic Church has been on a secret crusade for centuries to harness or destroy all paranormal creatures - including vampires. When a priest gets hold of a book of shadows that could shift the balance of power, Octavian must intervene.

The character development here is strong (especially when well-known historical figures turn up as vamps), the world-building is detailed and Golden is exceptional at taking common vampire myths and making them fresh again. His explanation of why holy water burns, and vampires can turn into bats, made me laugh out loud at his cleverness and sheer audacity. I felt myself drawn in like never before. Highly recommended, and the rest of the saga as well (Angel Souls, Devil Hearts; Of Masques & Martyrs; The Gathering Dark). ( )
  jshillingford | Jul 27, 2010 |

Christopher Goldenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This novel is dedicated to my wife, Concetta Nicole Russo Golden, without whose love and support it might never have been conceived, and certainly would not have become a reality. In a world where the daily horrors are more terrible than any fiction, our life together has given me the strength to stand on principle, to hope for the future, and to pursue our destiny with tireless passion, optimism, and confidence. Indeed, fools rush in. May we always be fools.
PROLOGUE: Manny Soares was getting just a little sick of pushing the damn broom. Twenty years in the secretary of state's office, and he was still pushing the damn broom.
CHAPTER 1: His memory is like a tornado across time, touching down to pick up a single event or person and carrying it away until it was dropped in favor or something else. Most of the events are catastrophes, most of the people are dead. When he wants to think of something pleasant, he has to concentrate. But such is the nature of memory, and of time.His name is Octavian. But it isn't, really. Or at least, it was not always. He has been a prince, a warrior, a monster, a murderer, a wanderer, and a thief. Now he can only observe and remember.And sometimes he can help.

When a mysterious and ancient book, called the Gospel of Shadows, is stolen from a secret sect dedicated to the destruction of vampires, private detective Peter Octavian--a vampire himself--is drawn into a desperate search for the missing book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,936,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible