Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale

Austenland: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale

Member:BookMystique
Title:Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library (inactive)

Austenland by Shannon Hale (2007)

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another modern woman's look at life in Jane Austen's era -- with entertaining and surprising results.
    Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs by Paula Marantz Cohen (elbakerone)
    Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (elbakerone)
    Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Definitely check this out if you liked the other. Both chick lit, both very fast, light, and amusing reads for any Austen fan.
    Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by Caroline B. Cooney (rosylibrarian)
    Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster (nicole_a_davis)

I read this again for book club. It is a quick, light read, and humorous at times; however, I am not quite sure about the author's message. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
A very charming novel for any and all fans of Jane Austen, particularly the ones who find themselves a bit obsessed with the world (and I know so many people who are).

Jane is just the kind of heroine I appreciate, who is a bit hopeless but still refuses to back down, having just the right amount of spunk. I sympathized with her throughout the whole story, but at the very end I was so TALLYHO with her!

Shannon Hale really knows how to write an effective ending. I mean, the beginning of the ending was good enough, but... it would've left me wanting just a bit more. But then she gave me more! It was awesome. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | May 10, 2015 |
At times, knowing what you're in for can be comforting, relaxing even. I often reread favourite novels for precisely this reason, to be on familiar terrain, to know everything that is going to happen. I find it relaxing.

Ultimately, this is what I enjoyed about Austenland: it's predictability. While I had not previously read it, the blurb, and the premise of the novel made it clear to me that this would be chick-lit with an Austen flavour. No doubt distantly related to Bridget Jones's Diary. Great. I wasn't sitting down to The Expendables and hoping for Julius Caesar.

True to form, it required a very healthy suspension of disbelief (the biggest for me was the entire plot driver: Jane's Aunt Carolyn/Caroline knowing she is obsessed with Colin Firth's Darcy based on her single status and a hidden DVD? That's one Sherlockian relo).

At times supporting characters were drawn a little thin; the audience learns so little about the motivations or back stories of the either the characters the actors of Austenland are playing, or the actors themselves, that it's difficult to imagine any characters connecting on a meaningful level, let alone falling in love. I can only conclude that whist must have aphrodisiac-like qualities.

Finally, most women I know are also fully aware that Mr Darcy, is ultimately a fictional character, and that the romantic expectations portrayed in Pride & Prejudice are not entirely an accurate representation of healthy productive real life relationships. So, the perpetuation of this notion that women need to exorcise their enjoyment/occasional indulgence of these fantasies in order to find a fulfilling relationship was a touch grating. But, narrative tension is required I suppose.

Quibbles aside, while I'm not in a hurry to rush out and read the next 'Austenland' instalment, overall I enjoyed this book.

P.s. Do people really feel they need to hide their Pride and Prejudice DVD's?
  Le_e | Apr 10, 2015 |
I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. So, when Cyndi from “A Utah Mom’s Life“, suggested this book, I downloaded it. I loved this book and the adventures Jane (Jane in the book, not The Jane) has in Austenland. I don’t know if there is such a place, but wouldn’t it be amazing to jump back in time and meet people that are from Pride and Prejudice? Jane has a great sense of humor and does admit the corsets get old, not being able to be alone with a male is stifling, and lack of cellphones can be a bit hard. However, she has her own adventure, has some love challenges, and finds her happily ever after…or so I hope. The ending did seem a bit rushed, but it was in perfect Austen form-love always prevails! ( )
  booksintheburbs | Feb 24, 2015 |
I loved this novel! Anyone who is a fan of Hale's YA books will definitely like this novel, especially if you like Jane Austen. I was so interested in Austenland that I researched to see if it was a real place, since Hale did such a wonderful job bringing it to life. Sadly, it is not, but the house is a real country manor and one can visit it! Imagine my utter delight though when I found out that Austenland has been made into a movie!!! This is Jerusha Hess's debut as a director. Jerusha is one half of the Napoleon Dynamite/Nacho Libre/Gentleman Broncos duo, which her husband Jared directed. Check out more info on Stephenie Meyer's website here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_austenland.html I cannot wait to see the movie as it appears to be a close adherence to the novel. I just can't stand when movies deviate from a novel I really enjoyed. I'm looking forward to this movie though! I hope too that Hale continues to write novels set in Austenland! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lind, MonicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemen, SaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

so I think we should just be friends.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her.

From the dust jacket: "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.
When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire- waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.
It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"

Because her obsession with Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life, Jane Hayes is delighted when she gets the chance to take a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, where she hopes to meet a perfect Regency-era gentleman of her own. By the author of Princess Academy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,282,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible