Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale

Austenland: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale

Title:Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library (inactive)

Austenland by Shannon Hale (2007)

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another modern woman's look at life in Jane Austen's era -- with entertaining and surprising results.
    Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs by Paula Marantz Cohen (elbakerone)
    Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (elbakerone)
    Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Definitely check this out if you liked the other. Both chick lit, both very fast, light, and amusing reads for any Austen fan.
    Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by Caroline B. Cooney (rosylibrarian)
    Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster (nicole_a_davis)

I'm usually a big Shannon Hale fan so I had very high hopes for this book. It was entertaining, it made me laugh regularly, but it just wasn't up to the level I've come to expect from Hale. I will probably read the sequel eventually, but more because I want to watch the movie and I've heard it's a good mix of both books than because this book compels me to continue the story. 3 stars. If you want to try Hale, don't start with this one. The Goose Girl or Book of a Thousand Days are phenomenal! ( )
  JenW1 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Jane is hopelessly obsessed with Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice, going so far as to allow it to color all her attempts at romance. A deceased relative bequeaths her a 3-week stay at an all-inclusive, fully immersive, Regency England country house, complete with Austenesque characters and romances and Jane goes with the intention of putting the fantasy behind her, once and for all.

I've seen this one recommended time and again, but i've never been that into romance or Mr. Darcy (as much as I love P&P) so I never made an effort to read the book. A few months ago, I ran across a copy at the book outlet and thought, why not?

I was immediately taken with the writing - the tone felt so very Austen! But it took a lot longer for me to warm to Jane; her constant berating of herself grew thin fast and at one point, I wondered if I'd finish. Luckily, that was just when Jane started finding her spine and things started getting interesting. Honestly, Pembrook Park was almost Machiavellian; Hale too, because she totally, totally fooled me. This was a 3.5 star read until that final couple of scenes. By the end of the book I not only liked Jane, but I respected her.

A fun read that ultimately surprised me. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 16, 2016 |
Definitely better the second time around! ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
Shannon Hale managed in one brief dose to fulfill all my youthful fantasies with Austenland. It was witty as Austen herself, fanciful as all our imaginations and a novel of an idea! ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
I loved it! Absolutely a delightful read. I read it in an evening. The premise is fun: a thirty-something single woman with an obsession with Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy. (Well, I'm a 40-something married woman who loves Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy!) Jane receives an vacation to an English estate modeled after Austen's world. The guests all take on personas similar to her characters and live their lives as if in 1816 England. It's a cute idea.

The author doesn't make any attempt to write like Jane Austen. Neither does she make pretenses for this being a sequel. I have yet to find any attempted Pride and Prejudice sequel that is worth my time.

Austenland is a delightful book, and definitely worth the couple of hours it took to read. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lind, MonicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemen, SaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

so I think we should just be friends.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her.

From the dust jacket: "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.
When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire- waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.
It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"

Because her obsession with Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life, Jane Hayes is delighted when she gets the chance to take a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, where she hopes to meet a perfect Regency-era gentleman of her own. By the author of Princess Academy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,791,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible