Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale

Austenland: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale

Member:BookMystique
Title:Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library (inactive)

Austenland by Shannon Hale (2007)

Recently added byaeriko001, Cebellina, Gertiej, private library, Lokweesha, hudsonshuman, Lunytoucan
    Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another modern woman's look at life in Jane Austen's era -- with entertaining and surprising results.
    Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs by Paula Marantz Cohen (elbakerone)
    Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (elbakerone)
    Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Definitely check this out if you liked the other. Both chick lit, both very fast, light, and amusing reads for any Austen fan.
    Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by Caroline B. Cooney (rosylibrarian)
    Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster (nicole_a_davis)

I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. So, when Cyndi from “A Utah Mom’s Life“, suggested this book, I downloaded it. I loved this book and the adventures Jane (Jane in the book, not The Jane) has in Austenland. I don’t know if there is such a place, but wouldn’t it be amazing to jump back in time and meet people that are from Pride and Prejudice? Jane has a great sense of humor and does admit the corsets get old, not being able to be alone with a male is stifling, and lack of cellphones can be a bit hard. However, she has her own adventure, has some love challenges, and finds her happily ever after…or so I hope. The ending did seem a bit rushed, but it was in perfect Austen form-love always prevails! ( )
  booksintheburbs | Feb 24, 2015 |
I loved this novel! Anyone who is a fan of Hale's YA books will definitely like this novel, especially if you like Jane Austen. I was so interested in Austenland that I researched to see if it was a real place, since Hale did such a wonderful job bringing it to life. Sadly, it is not, but the house is a real country manor and one can visit it! Imagine my utter delight though when I found out that Austenland has been made into a movie!!! This is Jerusha Hess's debut as a director. Jerusha is one half of the Napoleon Dynamite/Nacho Libre/Gentleman Broncos duo, which her husband Jared directed. Check out more info on Stephenie Meyer's website here: http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/otherprojects_austenland.html I cannot wait to see the movie as it appears to be a close adherence to the novel. I just can't stand when movies deviate from a novel I really enjoyed. I'm looking forward to this movie though! I hope too that Hale continues to write novels set in Austenland! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Silly. Like it was written by an 8th-grader. It will probably be made into a movie. If so, I hope they hire a good screen writer. ( )
  anitatally | Jan 25, 2015 |
An interesting idea; it could have been a really good book. As it is though, I wouldn't recommend it.
If you happen to have it within reach, it's a harmless light read but if not, don't bother. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
Wonderful! Hale's light prose touch and gift for creating rounded, irresistible characters is on full display. This is so much more than a parody of or answer to Austen's oeuvre -- probably enjoyable by readers who have not themselves ever read Austen! I was surprised by how engaging the mystery plot turned out to be, and by how deliciously suspenseful and satisfying the romance plot turned out to be. Genuinely masterful. ( )
  jenspirko | Nov 26, 2014 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lind, MonicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemen, SaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

so I think we should just be friends.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her.

From the dust jacket: "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.
When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire- waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.
It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"

Because her obsession with Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life, Jane Hayes is delighted when she gets the chance to take a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, where she hopes to meet a perfect Regency-era gentleman of her own. By the author of Princess Academy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,252,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible