Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale

Austenland: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale

1,9692043,446 (3.42)178
Member:BookMystique
Title:Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library (inactive)

Austenland by Shannon Hale (2007)

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another modern woman's look at life in Jane Austen's era -- with entertaining and surprising results.
    Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs by Paula Marantz Cohen (elbakerone)
    Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (elbakerone)
    Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Definitely check this out if you liked the other. Both chick lit, both very fast, light, and amusing reads for any Austen fan.
    Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by Caroline B. Cooney (rosylibrarian)
    Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster (nicole_a_davis)

This book is lots of fun. It takes all the ridiculousness of Austen's world, plops it into the modern world, the result being a hilarious novel full of delightful Jane Austen references and mockery. But amidst the ridiculousness, there is character growth, making the book more than just a fun read.

I also love Hale's descriptions. Like this one: "Caroline had as many wrinkles on her face as there were ridges in a fingerprint, not just around her eyes and on her brow, but delicate folds rippling across her thin cheeks" (4). Simply saying "Aunt Caroline had a lot of wrinkles" isn't enough for Shannon Hale; I love that. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
I liked this book. It was half-romance, half warning to all romance fans to not become too enamored of the fantasy embodied in any romance book since reality seldom can match that fantasy.
  GanneC | Jan 31, 2016 |
An interesting premise that never quite lives up to its promise. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Austenland by Shannon Hale - ok

Non-challenging piece of fluffy chic-lit. Whiled away a day at my Dad's when I really wanted distraction without having to think.

I believe they've just made a film of it - I'll be giving it a miss! ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'm disappointed with this book by Shannon Hale as I usually enjoy her offerings, but this was too light and fluffy for my taste and, on the whole, Jane just annoyed me. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lind, MonicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemen, SaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

so I think we should just be friends.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her.

From the dust jacket: "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.
When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire- waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.
It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"

Because her obsession with Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life, Jane Hayes is delighted when she gets the chance to take a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, where she hopes to meet a perfect Regency-era gentleman of her own. By the author of Princess Academy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,101,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible