Austenland: A Novel by Shannon Hale

Austenland: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Shannon Hale

1,9902093,388 (3.42)178
Member:BookMystique
Title:Austenland: A Novel
Authors:Shannon Hale
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Romance, Your library (inactive)

Austenland by Shannon Hale (2007)

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another modern woman's look at life in Jane Austen's era -- with entertaining and surprising results.
    Jane Austen in Scarsdale: Or Love, Death, and the SATs by Paula Marantz Cohen (elbakerone)
    Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (elbakerone)
    Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Definitely check this out if you liked the other. Both chick lit, both very fast, light, and amusing reads for any Austen fan.
    Both Sides of Time and Out of Time by Caroline B. Cooney (rosylibrarian)
    Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure by Emma Campbell Webster (nicole_a_davis)

While I did enjoy Austenland, it lacked depth and intensity, and though Jane was strong, she also came off as superficial. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 14, 2016 |
This started out with a bang, but quickly fell to romance category writing. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Jane Hayes has a pretty good life – except that she’s had a string of terrible relationships and she’s holding out for her fantasy man, Mr. Darcy. When a distant relative leaves Jane a vacation to Austenland in her will, Jane has a chance to live out her fantasy and hopefully get all that Darcy craving out of her system and face the real world. Or perhaps she’ll find her own Darcy after all?

I’ll admit, I saw the movie first, unaware there was a book. The movie was adorable (I love Keri Russell) and it turns out that it was pretty faithful to the book – which makes sense because it looks like Hale helped produce and write the screenplay.

I just wanted something fun and fluffy and Austenland delivered. Jane brushes up on her Regency era knowledge and sets out, excited to put this Darcy obsession behind her and also “swear off men for good.” Throughout the book she’s got a good sense of humor and she had a realistic mix of emotions regarding her experience in Austenland. Naturally she struggles with the swearing off men bit, and she drifts between finding the Regency experience fun and freeing, and totally ridiculous. I think that might be how I’d feel if I were to visit, so I was easily able to connect with her character.

At just shy of 200 pages, there’s not a lot to say about the book without giving away plot points. It’s a quick, entertaining read and I wish it were actually a little longer. Fans of the movie will likely enjoy the book and if you haven’t seen the movie but often wondered what it would be like to put yourself in an Austen novel, you’ll likely enjoy this too. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Apr 3, 2016 |
I got to say, though the movie and book are similar... the movie is much better, funnier, real and with a better ending. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Shannon Haleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, AmyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lind, MonicaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratchford, PattiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stemen, SaraDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

so I think we should just be friends.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a thirty-something woman in possession of a satisfying career and fabulous hairdo must be in want of very little, and Jane Hayes, pretty enough and clever enough, was certainly thought to have little to distress her.

From the dust jacket: "Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her life. No real man can compare.
When a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire- waist gowns, stripped of her modern appliances, Jane throws herself into mastering Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen - or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them.
It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to vanish. Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"

Because her obsession with Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life, Jane Hayes is delighted when she gets the chance to take a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, where she hopes to meet a perfect Regency-era gentleman of her own. By the author of Princess Academy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,958,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible