Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (2005)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (6)

English (112)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (116)
Book on CD narrated by Davina Porter
3***

Book six in a time-travel series I swore I’d never read, but have become strangely addicted to.

This one is heavy on the history of the years leading up to the American colonies declaring independence from Britain. Jamie and Claire find themselves smack dab in the middle of the uprising and having to carefully manage to avoid completely alienating either of the opposing factions. They have some hard decisions to make and find themselves in multiple dangerous situations.

Gabaldon hardly lets the reader rest and enjoy the love between these two central characters. There are beatings, rapes, arrests, near lynchings, fires, blizzards, and mayhem a plenty. Steven Bonnet, that nasty but charming pirate, can’t seem to keep away. Claire continues her medical experiments – inventing ether and perfecting her penicillin injections (love that she uses rattlesnake fangs as her needles!).

The younger generation have a lot to contend with. Ian is grieving the loss of his Mohawk wife. Fergus needs to find a way to provide for his growing family. And the many new settlers on Fraser’s Ridge need help organizing their new lives in this wild and unpredictable country.

Breanna and Roger play a significant role in this episode and I found Bree just a tiny bit less irritating. Though for the life of me I can’t understand how that woman hasn’t gotten herself into more trouble given her inability to hold her tongue and her penchant for talking about things that don’t exist yet (and won’t for a couple of centuries), and trying to invent “modern” conveniences (Indoor plumbing? Repeating rifles?) Roger is almost as bad, carving cars for the children to play with!

I marvel at the detail that Gabaldon manages to include in these books, and am interested to learn more of 18th century life. That being said, how many times does she have to tells us how everyone smells “of sweat and of horse”?

I’ve gotten way ahead of the TV series, so I think I’m going to give the series a rest for at least a year … if I can stay away …

Davina Porter is nothing short of perfection in her performance of the audiobook. I love the way she voices the various characters. She brings out both Bonnet’s charm and oily nastiness; makes Claire both vulnerable and iron-strong; and helps the listener fell the pain of Ian’s loss. 5***** for her performance. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 22, 2019 |
loved this on in the series, a lot more twist and turns in the plot. will be picking up the next book in the series real soon ( )
  cbloky | Feb 5, 2019 |
This went along at a snail's pace until the end, when you could tell the next steps of the story are being laid out, and the author tied up some lingering loose ends. I stuck with it because by now I trust Gabaldon to do nothing extraneous, and absorbed the details she sprinkled here and there like bread crumbs to lead me through the next parts of the series. Glad I kept with it and looking forward to the next one. ( )
  mrsmarch | Nov 28, 2018 |
Sixth book in the Outlander series about time travelling 20th century doctor Claire Randall and her 18th century Scottish Highlander warrior husband Jamie Fraser. Covering the from 1773 to 1776, the plot involves a series of kidnappings, the mystery of a murdered pregnant woman and plans to try and avoid the fire reported in a newspaper article from the future that tells of Claire and Jamie's deaths in a house fire. Previously Jamie pledged loyalty to the British crown, but Claire has told him what is coming and he walks a fine line between the two factions that will shortly fight the American Revolution (1765-1783). A decision must be made however, and with their grandchild suffering a condition that only 20th century medicine can cure, difficult choices must be made. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Sep 22, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible