A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) by…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Diana Gabaldon

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (2005)

English (101)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All (105)
Wow, it's been a long time since I've read one of Gabaldon's books. I've forgotten just how detailed and long they could be. I'm glad I finally got a chance to read this one, though. I look forward to finding out what happens next. My only real complaint in this book is all the bed-hopping. Given the time and place, it just wasn't realistic. But I did enjoy spending time with Jamie, Claire, Roger, Bree, and Ian again. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
WOW what a roller coaster ride this books is first off let me just say i love A Breath of Snow and Ashes so many moments that had me laughing and crying but i cried like a baby when i read the scenes where Claire is kidnapped and the terrible things she goes through but not to worry Jamie will always save Claire and he is able to save her and help her through a terrible ordeal. We get to meet a lot of new characters and there are a lot of amazing different story lines and can't forget about all the great adventures. ( )
  mhelissa26 | Mar 8, 2017 |
I almost feel like Claire and Jamie are family. We have been through a lot together over the years and it seems like things never really get any easier do they? This was my first time through this book and I went ahead and did the audio instead of reading the paper version. This was a really long audio. Too long if I am being honest. I love Jamie, Claire, Brianna, Roger, and the whole gang but I was really ready to move on to something else by the time I finished this audio. Don't get me wrong this story is really good and I am glad that I listened to it but it almost exhausted me at a point.

These books are a little different than what you would normally read. I always tell people that most books deal with a certain problem and have a definite story arc. Books in the Outlander series are very character driven and they don't focus on any particular plot point. It is really just all of the things that happen during this period in Jamie, Claire, Brianna, and Roger's lives. You do need to read this series in order because things from previous books do tend to pop up from time to time.

So much happens in this book. Like I said, Jamie and Claire feel almost like family so when bad things happen to them, I really tend to feel it. Bad things do happen in this book. Things that made me want to cry, things that made me laugh, and things that made me mad. I do really like how Jamie and Claire's love for each other never wavers and even now that they are older, they still have a very healthy sex life.

Davina Porter does a fabulous job in narrating this book. The voices and accents that she uses for all of the main characters have remained very consistent over the course of the series. I find it amazing how well she handles the male voices. Her Jamie is just perfection. I like how much emotion really shows in her voice as she reads this story. I am able to listen to her voice for hours at a time without ever tiring of it.

I would highly recommend this series to others. This is a series that I plan to revisit from time to time because the characters are so wonderful and the writing is so well done. I will be continuing with this series in the near future. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 5, 2017 |
Tremendous ups & downs in this story. The overwhelming point being love. So beautiful I feel the pain of tightness in my chest & the sting in my eyes. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Wow, this book took FOREVER to read. It is not cohesive at all and tends to go on a lot. Reads more like articles at times. Rather tedious a lot. Feels like she lost interest in the serious and should have quit. Should have been maybe 300 pgs not 900+ pages. Small torture to read. Punishment to read it. Severe disappointment including the disjointed nature of her daughter and their family going back to the present suddenly and just jumping off to that. Jerks along a lot. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jan 11, 2017 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,184,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible