A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) by…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Diana Gabaldon

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (2005)

English (97)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  All (101)
Wow, this book took FOREVER to read. It is not cohesive at all and tends to go on a lot. Reads more like articles at times. Rather tedious a lot. Feels like she lost interest in the serious and should have quit. Should have been maybe 300 pgs not 900+ pages. Small torture to read. Punishment to read it. Severe disappointment including the disjointed nature of her daughter and their family going back to the present suddenly and just jumping off to that. Jerks along a lot. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jan 11, 2017 |
A Breath of Snow and Ashes is the sixth book in the Outlander series and continues the saga of the Fraser family. I felt that this book really moved the series along as the American Revolution finally got started and many changes occurred within the family unit. Brianna was finally settling into life in the 17th century, while Roger had decided on becoming a minister but all their plans were put on hold with the birth of another child and some major decisions that had to be made about their future. Steven Bonnet made a return and that story-line was finished off. Claire and Jamie had their own troubles as a young woman, who was training as Claire’s apprentice, claimed that Jamie was the father of her unborn child. Of course there were many more adventures and occurrences that took place over the course of this 1400 plus page book that is packed with characters.

This is a story of love and romance, the history, although well researched and accurate is really second to the story of Claire and Jamie. Their love and adventures are what steer these books. I love reading about them, they are the perfect fantasy couple. They are not young anymore, Claire is into her fifties now with Jamie not all that far behind but they are still spouting lines like “Ye’ve no idea how lovely ye look, stark naked ...” Yes, a little over-the-top but definitely sigh worthy.

I have been listening to the audio version of these books and I believe the performance of the reader, Davina Porter raises them to another level. Her inflections for each character are spot on and she brings the books to life for me and allows me to get totally lost in the story. I am already looking forward to book number seven but will probably wait a couple of months or so before I dive back into the Outlander world. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I still don't know how to write a review for this book, even after I finished it a couple of days ago. So this is more just general thoughts about the book then a 'real" review.

- the book drags, alot. This one just seems really slow going.
- the story line seems to circle a lot. (spoiler) Claire gets kidnapped, and raped, then she and Jaime get dragged off all over the place, and then Brianna gets kidnapped by the reoccurring bad guy. Really? All in one, albeit very long, book?
- Roger out of nowhere decides to become a minister, and just coincidentally can become one conveniently close, the exact same faith that he is. Gee, what are the odds?
- good thing the big murder of the book gets solved right at the end. Ooh, coincidence!
- I still love reading about Jaime and Claire, but man oh man does she ever worship him and man oh man, is he ever always perfect. It's getting a little old.
- I think this book is really where I feel the series starts to decline. I still really liked this one, and will most likely reread it (again), but I don't love the series like I did ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sheesh, everyone goes through just about every calamity in five seconds (OK, three-ish years), don't they? A little too much packed into this book - not all of it was necessary. That said, I hope the major major thing that happened isn't permanent. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is the sixth book of Gabaldon's Outlander series and I loved it. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Aug 3, 2016 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,654,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible