A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) by…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Diana Gabaldon

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (2005)

English (92)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (95)
This sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander saga continues the story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence—with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.
  fredjryder1946 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Not my favorite of the OUTLANDER series, but still thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying if you're invested in the world. This one took me longer to read than the previous five combined, though. ( )
  nikkinmichaels | Jun 6, 2016 |
One of the most interesting historical parts of this latest in the series is the look at the run up to the revolutionary war in a southern state. There is plenty of personal drama in the family as well. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 31, 2016 |

Originally posted here

This is the sixth book in the Outlander series and I am finding it so hard to articulate my feelings about it.

First things first, A Breath of Snow and Ashes was an improvement compared to the previous book, The Fiery Cross; the pacing was a bit quicker (albeit still slow) and there was a lot more action and drama. The story roughly chronicles the years 1773-1776, with most of the book concerned with Jamie and Claire's continuing lives on the ridge and unsurprisingly some parts were slow; pages upon pages were also given to the lives and dramas of their friends and neighbours which did get somewhat tiring. Not to mention the repetitive scenes of mundane political correspondence and just general everyday filler which does little to advance the main plot lines. At this point in the series though, you kind of know what you're in for so it didn't bother me too much.

The action though, oh my goodness. So much happens in this book! Kidnappings; rape; further mysteries of gemstones, dreams and gold; character revelations; family secrets; births, murders, deaths and illnesses... it is just absolutely crammed. However, details concerning the politics of the time and the revolution were the least interesting to me.

I really loved Brianna and Jem! Jem provided a lot of comedy and I really liked Brianna's innovative 'hands on' attitude to eighteenth century life. Roger bored me to death in this book with the details of his vocation in life which was awarded too many pages. Claire and Jamie are of course the stars of the whole series and I really am touched by their evolving relationship together. Jamie especially touches my heart for his selfless protective love towards his family and friends.

I really am glad I persevered with the series, especially since The Fiery Cross felt like a slog to get through. A Breath of Snow and Ashes really rewarded the many hours I dedicated to reading it and I would definitely recommend it. ( )
1 vote 4everfanatical | May 28, 2016 |
Currently on page 822 in the 6th book of the Outlander Series. The first three books in the series read like a trilogy; all
totally different, yet connected through our main characters. The story leads our couple through many adventures. The books were so good that I found myself hunched under a dim light in the middle of the night anxiously skimming through the story to see what happened next. The 4th, 5th, and 6th are totally different from the previous books. The story much slower. Dare I say much more microscopic detail about everything and I do mean everything. For those who enjoy the chemistry between Jaimie and Claire, there is a lot less romance in the later books which is somewhat disappointing. Diana's writing of their love story is way beyond; better than any I have ever read. She pens a true love between a man and woman with such dignity, love, hope, and compromise, that the reader will walk away not only envying their relationship, but hopeful that love stories like theirs exist.
  BJBradley | May 22, 2016 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,925,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible