A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) by…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Diana Gabaldon

Title:A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (2005)

Recently added byMaganja, Akin2Read2, asoutherngirlreads, private library, jennyj271, Jay-Freeman, cherobula

English (79)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (82)
I can't believe I finally finished this book! At long last I can finally stop hauling this ten pound tome around with me. So much happened that I can barely remember what. Rapes, near rapes, kidnappings, treasure, lost people, found people, murder mystery, incest, traveling through the stones, a fire, and inching closer to the American Revolution. I think that about covers it. I have faithfully read every book thus far in the series. It was probably around book four that I started losing interest. The new Starz series reinvigorated me and led me to pick up this book. That and I happened to own it anyway. I love the TV series. I went and back and picked through the first book and there wasn't any part that wasn't exciting. Somewhere along the line the books just got so bloated. It's Gabaldon's series as she like to remind everyone, and not always in a nice way, so she writes what she wants. At this point I have to skim read in order to get through a lot of it. Intresting things did happen but other plot points just fell away like the stuff related to the other time travelers. Much of the book just went on and on and on. George Martin may be in trouble with Game of Thrones running out of books to film but I doubt Diana will ever have that problem. There is probably ten seasons of plot in this book alone. It will be intresting to see how the TV team winnows down the material. ( )
  arielfl | Sep 16, 2015 |
Book #6 of Outlander Series - Jamie & Claire Fraser Saga continues. Brianna & Roger have 2 little ones, Jerimiah & baby Amanda. There is conflict on Fraser's Ridge, homes are being burned, blamed on the Indians, Steven Bonnet, the pirate, makes his presence again. Brianna has to make a tough decision, Roger finds his calling, after an outbreak of disease breaks out on the Ridge, Claire is near death Jamie gets accused of fathering a child by a local's daughter. Never a dull moment on Fraser's Ridge! Amazing how these character's grip your heart and the suspense never ends. Wonderful series, Very long and so worth it! Listen on Audible - Davina Portrer is perfect as always and Diana Gabaldon is the absolute best storyteller ever! ( )
  booklovers2 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This 980 page tome took me forever to read. A couple years ago I gave up after a few pages, thought it was going to have a lot of political maneuvering in it, which I hate. I was wrong about that, tho there is some juggling Jamie goes thru as he shifts from Tory to Whig. It's got sections that definitely read like a hot romance novel, but that's not all. There are parts that deal with creating modern inventions using low tech approaches (i.e. kitchen matches, ether, plumbing) and the work involved in a pioneer survival lifestyle. And intermingled with some of the intense hate crimes are home-y chapters where the family sees the ridiculousness of what's just gone on.
All in all, I really enjoyed reading it, but I don't think I ever want to lug so many pages around again.
P.S. This is the first book in this saga I've read. ( )
  juniperSun | Jun 23, 2015 |
I think this was my favorite in the series so far. The American Revolution is starting and Jamie, Claire, Brianna, Roger, and the rest and preparing for it. There is also quite a bit of strife on Fraser's Ridge, which made for a quite entertaining read. ( )
  hoosgracie | Jun 17, 2015 |
A Breath of Snow and Ashes disappointed me in one thing and one thing only - I liked all the Frasers at one and the same point in history, thank you. My heart is a little broken (not as broken as after Outlander, obviously) and I am still hooked (please write at least 18 more books, D. Gabaldon).

The impending deaths of Claire and Jamie Fraser, the vengeance on Stephen Bonnet, and the missing French gold story-lines wrapped, I cannot wait what the new plot arcs will bring. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,966,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible