A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) by…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Diana Gabaldon

Member:no1bookaddict
Title:A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Collections:Your library, Read

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon (2005)

English (89)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (92)
One of the most interesting historical parts of this latest in the series is the look at the run up to the revolutionary war in a southern state. There is plenty of personal drama in the family as well. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 31, 2016 |

Originally posted here

This is the sixth book in the Outlander series and I am finding it so hard to articulate my feelings about it.

First things first, A Breath of Snow and Ashes was an improvement compared to the previous book, The Fiery Cross; the pacing was a bit quicker (albeit still slow) and there was a lot more action and drama. The story roughly chronicles the years 1773-1776, with most of the book concerned with Jamie and Claire's continuing lives on the ridge and unsurprisingly some parts were slow; pages upon pages were also given to the lives and dramas of their friends and neighbours which did get somewhat tiring. Not to mention the repetitive scenes of mundane political correspondence and just general everyday filler which does little to advance the main plot lines. At this point in the series though, you kind of know what you're in for so it didn't bother me too much.

The action though, oh my goodness. So much happens in this book! Kidnappings; rape; further mysteries of gemstones, dreams and gold; character revelations; family secrets; births, murders, deaths and illnesses... it is just absolutely crammed. However, details concerning the politics of the time and the revolution were the least interesting to me.

I really loved Brianna and Jem! Jem provided a lot of comedy and I really liked Brianna's innovative 'hands on' attitude to eighteenth century life. Roger bored me to death in this book with the details of his vocation in life which was awarded too many pages. Claire and Jamie are of course the stars of the whole series and I really am touched by their evolving relationship together. Jamie especially touches my heart for his selfless protective love towards his family and friends.

I really am glad I persevered with the series, especially since The Fiery Cross felt like a slog to get through. A Breath of Snow and Ashes really rewarded the many hours I dedicated to reading it and I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 28, 2016 |
Currently on page 822 in the 6th book of the Outlander Series. The first three books in the series read like a trilogy; all
totally different, yet connected through our main characters. The story leads our couple through many adventures. The books were so good that I found myself hunched under a dim light in the middle of the night anxiously skimming through the story to see what happened next. The 4th, 5th, and 6th are totally different from the previous books. The story much slower. Dare I say much more microscopic detail about everything and I do mean everything. For those who enjoy the chemistry between Jaimie and Claire, there is a lot less romance in the later books which is somewhat disappointing. Diana's writing of their love story is way beyond; better than any I have ever read. She pens a true love between a man and woman with such dignity, love, hope, and compromise, that the reader will walk away not only envying their relationship, but hopeful that love stories like theirs exist.
  BJBradley | May 22, 2016 |
The saga continues, with war on the horizon, Jamie and Claire trying to find a way to weather the storm safely. The book is full of the details of day to day life, broken up by events that are traumatic, life changing, funny, heartbreaking, and overall satisfying.

As is usual in these books, various characters are really put through the wringer. In this one, it seems to be Claire's turn for the worst of it. The Browns make a reappearance, this time determined to enact vengeance. Claire is kidnapped and raped. I thought she did a great job of keeping it together, and loved her certainty that Jamie would find her. It was fun to see her playing with the minds of her kidnappers. Absolutely loved the rescue scene, with the use of the drum and ye olde Highland yell. They definitely got what was coming to them. There was an interesting twist with the appearance of another traveler and the sharing of his experiences.

The Loyalist Scots are pulling out all the stops in their attempts to bolster support of the Crown, including what is basically a fundraising tour by Flora MacDonald, the woman who saved Prince Charlie after Culloden. Jamie knows the truth of what will happen, but tries to remain neutral for as long as possible.

Claire continues her work as a healer, while trying to find a way to bring in some modern medicine. Her experiments with ether have some pretty amusing moments, and also some lasting consequences. Jamie's conflict is real as he tries to reconcile his knowledge of the future with his honor and the oaths he has made. Throughout it all, the love that he and Claire share give them each the strength they need to weather the storms.

Roger and Brianna continue with their adjustments to this time period, some being more successful than others. Brianna brings her engineering expertise to the Ridge with her attempts at indoor plumbing, a better kiln, and the "invention" of matches. Roger has finally found his place, calling upon his background with the Reverend Wakefield, and becomes a preacher. There are some pretty funny moments as he settles into the job, including the presence of a snake at his first sermon.

Various secondary characters play parts that add some interesting complications. Lizzie's engagement to Manfred ends for an unexpected reason. As a single young woman she draws the interest of multiple young men, but who she ends up with and why is quite a surprise.

Young Malva Christie has become a devoted apprentice of Claire's, but I have to say that there has always been something about her that didn't set right. This proves true later in the book, as she takes an action that divides residents of the Ridge. It only gets worse when Claire and Jamie are accused of murder, bringing them into further peril. The final resolution of that storyline was sad and creepy.

Stephen Bonnet is still making his presence known. The Frasers and MacKenzies continue their attempts to find him and bring him to justice, but he proves as slippery as ever. With assistance from someone with a grudge against Jamie, Bonnet once again gets his hands on Brianna. I quite enjoyed Brianna's strength of will as she does her best to protect herself. Bonnet continues in his amoral actions, but also reveals an unexpected vulnerability. This proves to be important at the end of the book.

Lord John's presence is there throughout the book, as he and Jamie continue their friendship through their letters. This allows Jamie some chance of keeping up with William's life. With Jamie's choice of sides in the coming conflict, he wishes to protect John from association with a known traitor and breaks off communication. But the fates aren't done with them, and bring John and brand new lieutenant Lord Ellesmere to North Carolina, along with troops meant to quell rebellion. Brianna gets quite a shock when she goes to see John to ask for help and encounters William.

A health problem with Brianna and Roger's new daughter Amanda creates the need for an important decision on their part. What are the risks versus the benefits, and is it even possible? I loved Jamie's comment to Jem about a mouse named Michael. The epilogue with Roger and Brianna gives a hint of their plans and reveals a surprising gift.

At the end, the story of the newspaper clipping is revealed, with an interesting reason why. What really happens to the big house is the result of the reappearance of that other traveler. It is intense and nervewracking, and in the end satisfying. There's an amusing bit with the white sow, which seems to drive Jamie's decision on what to do next.

Now on to An Echo in the Bone! ( )
  scoutmomskf | May 5, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. So many things happened, that I don't even know where to begin. The abduction was most disturbing... and the scene with the drums was absolutely amazing! I hated Malva Christie for a good part of the book - then felt so sorry for her at the end and hated her brother instead! And I was so happy to see Lallybroch playing a role in the future. And Jemmy's wooden chest was wonderful - I wondered if something like that was going to happen (although I expected some gold to be in it or something. LOL) ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
De mensheid ziet in vele dingen de hand van God, tijd is daar één van. Leven volgt op een volgend leven, daar is geen einde aan. Men is doordrongen van zijn macht, want niets immers - bergen nog legers - kan het opnemen tegen tijd?
Natuurlijk, tijd heelt alle wonden. Geef iets genóég tijd en alles komt goed: pijn wordt geabsorbeerd, ontberingen vergeten, verlies krijgt een plaats.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Onthoudt dat gij van stof zijt, mens, en tot stof zult hij wederkeren.
En als Tijd verbonden is met God, moet Herinnering gelijk staan aan de Duivel
This Book is Dedicated to Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Dorothy L. Sayers, John D. MacDonald and P.G. Wodehouse
The dog sensed them first.
Prologue: Time is a lot of the things people say that God is.

Eagerly anticipated by her legions of fans, this sixth novel in Diana Gabaldon’s bestselling Outlander saga is a masterpiece of historical fiction from one of the most popular authors of our time.

Since the initial publication of Outlander fifteen years ago, Diana Gabaldon’s New York Times bestselling saga has won the hearts of readers the world over — and sold more than twelve million books. Now, A Breath of Snow and Ashes continues the extraordinary story of 18th-century Scotsman Jamie Fraser and his 20th-century wife, Claire.

The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence — with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile. And there is also the matter of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports Jamie’s death, along with his kin. For once, he hopes, his time-traveling family may be wrong about the future.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

In 1772, Jamie Fraser is asked by the governor to help protect the colonies for King and Crown, but thanks to his time-traveling, twentieth-century wife, Claire, Jamie is aware of the ultimate result of the American Revolution.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,003,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible