dismiss

A Common Life (2001)

by Jan Karon

Series: Mitford Years (6)

The sixth book in the Mitford series finds the community of Mitford awaiting the marriage of Father Tim and his bride-to-be, Cynthia.

This book looks back at Father Tim Kavanagh and Cynthia Coppersmith's life leading up to their wedding. Each chapter (the proposal, the joke, the preamble, the wedding, the beginning; to name a few), gives you a closer glimpse into the folks you have learned to love as they all learn of and anticipate the wedding. This story may seem out of order to some, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless. This was a quick read for me, but very enjoyable. ( )
  judyg54 | Jun 20, 2020 |
I listened to this book while traveling home today. Priceless. I have read a couple of other of her books eons ago and I had forgotten just how good they are. The audio version is terrific. From now on, this is the only way I am going to enjoy the Mitford series. I hope no one was watching me while driving as I was laughing right out loud. This is the big wedding of Tim Cavanaugh, the beloved minister, to his next door neighbor Cynthia. I love it how the other town's people are drawn into the story. ( )
  travelgal | Oct 18, 2019 |
The perfect book for anyone who believes in laughter, relies on hope and celebrates love.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Jul 11, 2019 |
This is the 6th novel in the Mitford Series. You are cordially invited to the wedding of Father Tim and Cynthia.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
A delightful short read - almost a novella in size - Karon takes a step back with this sixth installment to provide details of the wedding between Father Tim and Cynthia. If following story trajectory order, this book would probably have appeared between installments 3 and 4, but no matter. For me the favorite take-aways are the snapshots Karon provides of the various Mitford community members as news of the engagement and the wedding day play out. Karon obviously appreciates that people can get "territorial" about involvement in wedding planning activities, and that wedding guests can be prone to mind-wandering while all the "official" stuff takes place. Yes, the story does get a little sappy and does get a bit preachy but overall, it is all about the wedding, community and how even the best laid plans can encounter some unexpected hiccups. You just need to roll with them when they happen.

Overall, a delightful and quick read with a focus on the importance of the simple things in life. ( )
  lkernagh | Jun 19, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Father Timothy Kavanagh stood at the stone wall on the ridge above Mitford, watching the deepening blush of a late June sunset.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,126,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible