A Light in the Window (The Mitford Years,…

A Light in the Window (The Mitford Years, Book 2) (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Jan Karon

Member:AbidingPeace
Title:A Light in the Window (The Mitford Years, Book 2)
Authors:Jan Karon
Info:Penguin Group, Inc (1996), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:Fiction

A Light in the Window by Jan Karon (1996)

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: First book in this series

A return to Mitford finds Father Tim with woman problems - he has a weird "cousin" arrive unexpectedly from Ireland, girlfriend issues with Cynthia, and widow Edith is anxious to replace her deceased husband with him.

It was a heart-warming read, but I really had a hard time staying connected to the story. I don't think I will be reading anymore from this series, just too blah for me. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 14, 2019 |
Among other goings-on in the town of Mitford, Father Tim is having trouble with women. His eccentric cousin Meg, whom he happens not to know, shows up for an uninvited, indefinite stay at his house. Recently widowed Edith is hot on Father Tim’s bachelor tail. Not to mention that he’s falling for his neighbor, Cynthia, and he doesn’t know what to do about it in A Light in the Window, a novel by author Jan Karon.

Another delightful jaunt through town in this second book in the Mitford Years series. So endlessly cute and humorous. And I always appreciate a read where the author can continually surprise me. They don’t have to be big, flashy surprises, but even cleverly simple ones keep me engaged and on my toes. I like not being able to predict everything the story or a character is going to say or do next.

One stretch I enjoyed most in this novel was the small-town Christmas season. But even more than that, there’s something refreshing about a main character in his sixties who’s never been married, feeling clueless as he navigates the daunting twists and turns of romance and wonders at the untapped recesses of his own heart. I’ll admit there were a few times when Cynthia aggravated me more than Tim did, but some of their letters to each other made me ache in a (very good) way I’m not sure I’ve ached before, while reading a love story. Just…gol-lee.

When a novel can make you slap it closed and literally hug it after you’ve finished it, something definitely went right. I’m looking forward to continuing this series. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Feb 27, 2018 |
I had a really hard time staying focused on this story, as there didn't seem to be one major plot; there were just a lot of little subplots all involving Rector Tim but not meshing into one overarching storyline. I also did not like the ending, no explanation at all! :( ( )
  Liladillerauthor | Jan 20, 2018 |
This is the second in the Mitford Series, Jan Karon delivers a love story that is both heart warming and hilarious. Only time will tell if the village parson can practice what he preached.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |

Jan Karonprimary authorall editionscalculated
McDonough, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulrich, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

City and town life - United States - Fiction 2nd in Mitford series
Welcome back to Mitford, the little town with the big heart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140254544, Paperback)

A Light in the Window is the second installment in this enormously popular series about a small-town rector, Father Tim, and the heartwarming cast of characters surrounding him. This time Father Tim, a lifelong bachelor, finds his heart distracted by his free-spirited neighbor Cynthia, but his stomach and the rectory cash box are distracted by Edith, a wealthy widow who is wooing the rector with love potion casseroles. At every turn, including when a brooding Irish cousin decides to move in, Father Tim must decide whether he will practice what he preaches.

Fans of the series say they long to buy real estate in Mitford, just so they can live next door to these funny and endearing characters and feel the embrace of such a loving community. But what author Jan Karon probably knows, and many readers are starting to figure out, is that the integrity and solid Christian values that these characters possess can be found in just about every neighborhood, and with inspiration like this book, anyone can build their own Mitford community. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:34 -0400)

In the gentle tradition of James Herriot, Bailey White, Ferrol Sams, and Garrison Keillor, Karon continues the fresh and beautifully written story of a small mountain town in the South. The village rector, Father Tim, can no longer deny his feeling for his neighbor. But what about the wealthy widow who has been wooing him with casseroles? It's clear that Father Tim is in need of divine intervention.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible