The Woods by Harlan Coben

The Woods (2007)

by Harlan Coben

The Likeness by Tana French (profilerSR)
    profilerSR: Also contains a protagonist who survived a crime when young, and is now investigating another crime which may be connected.
    The Screaming Tree by Phil Lovesey (MikeBriggs)

English (109)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (119)
Paul Copeland, County Prosecutor of Essex County, NJ is trying to fraternity brothers of raping a young African American stripper/prostitute. Of course, the defendants want this to go away, but when Paul pursues the case, that's when things get ugly. Threatened by the parents of the boys, Paul finds his past returning to haunt him...

Twenty years ago, Paul was a camp counselor, and four co-eds were murdered when he was supposed to be watching over the cabins. Instead, Paul was in the woods with his girlfriend, Lucy. One of the co-eds that was murdered taht night was his sister, Camille. Secrets are revealed that were best left untouched, and everything he thought he knew about night...and his life is once again changed...

You got to read it to find out! ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
"The Woods" has some nice twists and turns. I liked how the sub-plots meshed well with the main plot. (This is usually done rather poorly in TV dramas.)

"The Woods" is about the 20 year-old murder of several teens at a summer camp. Paul, our protagonist, was a camp counselor whose sister was one of the victims. Now, as a county prosecutor, the past comes back in ways he can't imagine. ( )
  Jarratt | Apr 30, 2017 |
A fast paced thriller with paths and ties between characters I did not expect.
The legal part (rape trial) could have been skipped if you ask me, read lots of them by now. But on the other hand that was an entrance to some parts of the plot.
Will look for another Coben, I like him! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 5, 2017 |
This is a good murder mystery with plenty of twists. It wouldn't be among my favorite books, but for the kind of book it is, it's well done. I listened to it on CD and the reader lends enough difference to the voices to make it interesting. It's not a profound book, if you will, but it's good entertainment for its genre. I enjoyed it and didn't guess ahead of time how things would really turn out. It wasn't predictable. I did guess that they wouldn't be predictable. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Woah!. Pretty much all I can say.
This novel was a ride on a roller coaster. It'll grip you from start to finish and send surges of goosebumps your way. The moment you think you start to understand what's going on here and try to wrap your mind around the events, something happens that would change it all. This one is definitely not the last Harlan Coben book I'll be reading!

A quote I liked from the book:
"[...] One of Sherlock's axioms goes something like this: 'It's a big mistake to theorize before one has data - Because one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'"
  d3vr | Dec 28, 2016 |

Roos, Gunillasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Henrik EnemarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staib, ChristofferTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Alek Coben, Thomas Bradbeer, Annie van der Heide. The three joys I'm lucky enough to call my godchildren.
I see my father with that shovel.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451221958, Mass Market Paperback)

Twenty years ago at summer camp, Paul Copeland's sister died in the woods, the alleged victim of a serial killer. Her body was never found. Now, Paul is the prosecutor for Essex County, New Jersey, immersed in one of the biggest cases of his career-a case that will change everything he believes about the past...and the truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

Twenty years after Paul Copeland's sister walked into the woods, never to be seen again, evidence links him to a murder victim who could be the boy who disappeared along with her and raises the possibility that she may still be alive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,487,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible