Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg

Authors:Fannie Flagg
Info:RANDOM HOUSE, Hardcover
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Alabama, Christmas, Humor

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg (2004)

i often think of good writing as tight and crisp, so i guess i can describe this as loose and soggy. not all that well done, either in the story or the writing. not offensive or harmful and a quick feel-good read, but overly saccharine and lacking in just about every important way. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jul 17, 2014 |
What a dear story! I had tears in my eyes during the Book's climactic Christmas. The characters are wonderful, Lost River compelling, and just altogether a heartwarming story. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 3, 2014 |
This book was light reading. It was assigned for a book group and I did not want to put it down towards the end because I liked the style. I cannot give the book 5 stars because some parts seemed a little far-fetched. I was bother that I could not determine the time period for the book. I was bothered that the characters did not report the child abuse to the authorities. (I suspect that the book took place in an earlier time when their actions would have been more acceptable.) The book was uplifting and fun to read. ( )
  RKoletteL | Dec 29, 2013 |
I read this book some years ago and I read it every christmas and I absoloutly adore this book and it will always be in my house as long as I live ...These charecters are like people I grew up with and they leave an impression on your mind and your heart and all I can say is Ms . flagg is a wonderful story teller and i mean that in the best way ....
  phonelady61 | Dec 29, 2013 |
A Redbird Christmas was my church book club’s December pick, and it was unanimous (an unbelievable feat!), we all liked it. Fannie Flagg took a small, south Alabama town and made it magical. The setting is wonderful with the river, the charming town and friendly people. But it is the characters that make this story. Flagg takes lost, wounded, lonely people and places them in a family in the little town of Lost River. When asked which character was our favorite, most of our group chose Jack, the surprisingly talented red bird or cardinal that claimed the hearts of the townspeople and healed the hurts of a little girl.

Flagg also achieves something special in her storytelling. She takes ordinary people, ordinary setting and adds a twist of the mysterious and magical. There is a fairy tale quality to her writing that changes the everyday into something special.

If you are looking for a sweet, definitely Southern tale that will make you laugh and perhaps cry, try A Redbird Chirstmas. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Dec 20, 2013 |
For Joni, Kate, and Rita
It was only November sixth but Chicago had just been hit with its second big blizzard of the season, and Mr. Oswald T. Campbell guessed he had stepped in every ice-cold ankle-deep puddle of dirty white slush it was possible to step in, trying to get to his appointment.
Being an orphan, he had never known who he was or where he had come from. Whoever left him on the church steps that night left no clues, nothing except the basket he came in and a can of Campbell’s soup. He had no idea what his real name was. Oswald was the next name on St. Joseph’s first-name list and, because of the soup, they gave him Campbell as a last name and the initial T. for Tomato, the kind he was found with. Nor did he know his nationality. But one day, when he was about twelve, a priest took a good look at his rather large nose, red hair, and small squinty blue eyes and remarked, “Campbell, if that’s not an Irish mug, I’ll eat my hat.” So Oswald guessed he was Irish. Just another piece of bad luck as far as having a problem with booze was concerned.
Oswald was feeling a little sad these days anyway. Christmas was just around the corner, and Betty was already playing Christmas carols on the radio. He supposed it put some people in a good mood, but all those “I’ll be home for Christmas” and “There’s no place like home for the holidays” songs just made him feel lousy. For him, Christmas had always been a season with everything set up just to break your heart.
“Aw, the poor guy, he comes down to that dock waiting for the mail, and all he ever gets is some pension check from the government. The whole time he’s been here, he hasn’t received one personal letter, not even one lousy Christmas card.”

What they did not know was that Oswald did not expect to receive any mail. He was down at the dock every day only because he did not have anywhere else to go, except to the store and back to his room again. All he was doing was just sitting around killing time, looking at the birds and waiting to die.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345480260, Mass Market Paperback)

With the same incomparable style and warm, inviting voice that have made her beloved by millions of readers far and wide, New York Times bestselling author Fannie Flagg has written an enchanting Christmas story of faith and hope for all ages that is sure to become a classic.
Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who delivers mail by boat, the store owner who nurses a broken heart, the ladies of the Mystic Order of the Royal Polka Dots Secret Society, who do clandestine good works. And he meets a little redbird named Jack, who is at the center of this tale of a magical Christmas when something so amazing happened that those who witnessed it have never forgotten it. Once you experience the wonder, you too will never forget A Redbird Christmas.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

Oswald T. Campbell, given the news that he only has a short time left to live, takes his doctor's recommendation that he leave Chicago and move to a milder climate, and ends up in Redbird, Alabama, where his involvement with a young orphan, a matchmaking widow, and a redbird named Jack, restores his heart and his health.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible