Absolute Power by David Baldacci

Absolute Power (1996)

by David Baldacci

English (48)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (52)
I've given up on this novel. After 6 hours of listening to this in the car I feel as though the plot hasn't really moved along at all. In fact, I feel as though all that has happened is the introduction of the characters and the premise of the plot.

In and of itself, the premise and setup are great. The various overlaps of characters will obviously have everyone circling one another. But this audiobook has broken my reading rules and not gotten going soon enough for my liking. Others may find it more rewarding, but I just found it to have too much exposition. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Can the Commander-in-Chief commit murder and get away with it? ...

A tour de force novel! Loved it. I love the work of David Baldacci, and Absolute Power is the perfect page-turner of action and suspense ... Just a tremendous thriller.

A good novelist understands that plot, character development, synopsis, a good rhythm, and a fast-paced start—among a few other things—make for a great read. And Absolute Power blends those literary ingredients quite well. I found it highly enjoyable. It reminded me of Grisham's The Firm in certain instances, and that also plays into why I like the book so much: I've a passion for those powers-that-be, legal and political nail-biting suspense thrillers. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
An enjoyable crime thriller. Moves along at a great pace with some some shocking twists and turns and a nice ending. Good one for holiday reading! ( )
  spbooks | Jan 23, 2017 |
Could the Pres. be mixed up in a secret murder cover-up — good! All The Cardholders' Deception

A grizzled professional cat burglar gets trapped inside the bedroom closet of one of the world's richest men, only to witness, through a one-way mirror, two Secret Service agents kill the billionaire's trampy young wife as she tries to fight off the drunken sexual advances of the nation's chief executive. Running for his life, but not before he picks up a bloodstained letter opener that puts the president at the scene of the crime, the burglar becomes the target of a clandestine manhunt orchestrated by leading members of the executive branch.

Meanwhile, Jack Graham, once a public defender and now a high-powered corporate attorney, gets drawn into the case because the on-the-lam burglar just happens to be the father of his former financee, a crusading Virginia prosecutor.
  christinejoseph | Jul 31, 2016 |
I, like many others, saw the movie version before reading the book. I enjoyed the book more than the movie. I found it comical how the President shifted from a cowardly drunk to an arrogant, cold-hearted egotist. The action kept the book moving, for the most part, and I enjoyed the ending. My favorite part of the audiobook was David Baldacci's preface for this anniversary edition comparing pre-Clinton administration critiques to post-Clinton critiques. That was worth listening to all by itself. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

—LORD ACTON
To MICHELLE, my dearest friend, my loving wife, my partner in crime, without you this dream would have remained a feeble glint in a weary eye.

To MY MOTHER AND FATHER, no parents could have done any more

To MY BROTHER AND SISTER, for putting up with a lot from their younger sibling and still always being there for me
He gripped the steering wheel loosely as the car, its lights out, drifted slowly to a stop.

Tijdens een klusje in een villawijk is inbreker Luther Whitney ongewild ooggetuige van een afgrijselijke scène: voor zijn ogen wordt een vrouw doodgeschoten, nadat haar stomdronken minnar heeft gepoogd haar te verkrachten. Het dodelijk schot wordt gelost door een veiligheidsagent, die verantwoordelijk is voor het leven van zijn baas. Zijn baas is niemand minder dan de President van de Verenigde Staten.... Tot zijn verbijstering moet Luther toezien hoe de presidentiële medewerkers alle sporen van de moord koelbloedig en systematisch, uitwissenLuther weet te ontsnappen, maar helaas niet onopgemerkt. Geschokt door deze manifestatie van corruptie en machtsmisbruik neemt hij zich voor het staatshoofd aan de schandpaal te nagelen.
----------------------------------
A two-bit their, on his retirement heist, finds himself trapped behind a one-way murder. Eyewitness to the President of the United States' killing a millionaire's wife.
.... he has the murder weapon
.... the  CIA knows it ...

Elsewhere, his almost son-in-law struggles w/ marrying an old=money girl he doesn't love and becoming an overnight partner in THE law firm.

A small town homicide detective (who rookied in NY) is handed the case of a lifetime and a monstrous decision....

And then there's the crook's daughter, a practicing PD

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446603589, Mass Market Paperback)

Can the President get away with murder? The fictional answer to this question results in a fast-paced page turner that combines political intrigue with gritty, hard-boiled suspense

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

A cat burglar has evidence that links the President to the murder of the wife of a wealthy contributor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible