After Anna by Lisa Scottoline

After Anna (edition 2018)

by Lisa Scottoline (Author)

Member:ccfitzgerald
Title:After Anna
Authors:Lisa Scottoline (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 400 pages

After Anna by Lisa Scottoline

Good story. The ending was very rushed and typical. Was hoping for a bit of a stronger finish! ( )
  gail616 | Jun 11, 2018 |
This was a good story, but it could have been so much better. The plot was suspenseful with an ending that was hard to figure out and kept me reading.
The characters however, were not well developed and appeared rather flat. Their responses and relationships with each other didn’t ring true and often didn’t make much sense. Their responses often seemed almost cliche. I think I rolled my eyes more than once. I also didn’t really care about them the way I needed to to find this book exceptional.
There was a lack of consistency in the story that left me disappointed. The action would be moving along well and it would stall out by switching to a much less dramatic point. I appreciated the way the author told the story with shifting timelines, but it was often too quick to jump back and forth, disrupting the direction.
I did find the story to be good in spite of this. I think it will have a fair appeal to many readers. I just wish the characters had more depth and seemed more realistic.
My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title. ( )
  c.archer | Jun 2, 2018 |
Pediatric allergist Noah Alderman, a widower and single father, has found happiness in a second marriage with divorcée Maggie Ippolitti. She adores Noah’s son, Caleb, and they have a happy family despite Maggie’s sadness over not having seen her daughter since she was a baby. One day, Anna unexpectedly contacts her and, to Maggie’s delight, Anna wants to come live with her. Maggie is thrilled at the thought of a second chance to be a mother to her daughter.

But Anna is manipulative and pits Maggie against Noah; amid mounting tensions that threaten to destroy the family, Anna is murdered, devastating Maggie and sending Noah to prison for the crime. However, when Maggie realizes that something is amiss, she sets out to find the truth. Will it repair the damage to her fractured family or will she find even more heartbreak?

With complex, believable characters, the story spins out in moments of guilt and manipulation that create tension and keeps those pages turning. Anna is not particularly likable, Maggie is annoyingly naïve, and Noah makes some incredibly poor decisions, but the alternating chapters telling the story from Maggie’s perspective and from Noah’s perspective help to keep the suspense building. Far into the story, an unexpected plot twist changes everything readers thought they knew and turns the story in an entirely different direction.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | May 26, 2018 |
LISTEN! When I say this book had me biting my nails, sitting on the edge of my seat, and feeling anxious, it is the absolute truth. I was captivated and hooked within the first few pages and COULD NOT put it down! I absolutely loved the way that the story was told (from Noah's and Maggie's points of view). The plot was fast paced and did not have any lagging or extraneous moments. Every word lended itself to the vigor of the tale being told.

I highly recommend it. ( )
  1forthebooks | May 22, 2018 |
After Anna by Lisa Scottoline is a 2018 St. Martin’s Press publication.

Riveting courtroom drama, taut suspense, and emotional family drama-

When Maggie’s estranged seventeen- year old daughter, Anna, calls out of the blue, hoping to reconnect, Maggie is over the moon. As it turns out, Anna’s father has died, making Anna a very wealthy young woman, but she is utterly alone in the world. Maggie, of course, immediately invites Anna to move in with her and her new husband, Noah, and his son. Maggie would finally have the complete family she had always longed for.

But, things go awry almost immediately when Anna and Noah clash, exposing large cracks in the veneer of Maggies's perfect family. But, as tense as things have become between Maggie and Noah, as strained as their marriage has become, Maggie never could have imagined a day when her husband would stand trial for the murder of her only child. Did Noah cross a line with Anna? Did he murder her?

Lisa Scottoline is usually pretty solid, and I enjoy most of her books. But, I really found myself caught up on this one, more so than usual, probably because of the courtroom drama. I haven’t read any clever courtoom scenes, like this one, in so long I felt like I’d found an oasis in a desert. The trial was absolutely fantastic!!

The family drama is interwoven within all the legalese, as Noah recalls the events that led up to his arrest for Anna’s murder.

Although, it didn’t take long for me to figure out what was going on, at least to some extent, I still suspected anyone and everyone along the way of being complicit or involved in some way, which of course, is exactly the way I like it. However, the story almost careened too far off course, in the second half, putting all that carefully crafted momentum at risk. I had to suspend belief a little more than I would like to, but, at the end of the day, I think things evened out enough to give the book a strong finish.

The suspense is taut, not just from a criminal aspect, but from an emotional one, as well.

Relationships are always complex, and this book explores the ways a seemingly perfect marriage and family has vulnerabilities, and be hacked into just like with technology. One has to be on guard at all times for potential malware. Personality traits and certain tendencies can work for us or against us when we are thrown into bizarre, unimaginable circumstances.

Once everything was said and done, I think a few of these characters were much stronger after having faced this type of adversity. Prioritizing what is really important in life is something we can all strive for, but hopefully we won’t have to face such catastrophic challenges before we see the need to keep things in perspective.

Although the story has a few weak spots, one will have to overlook, because the legal aspects were so strong, because I cared about the characters, and because I loved the ending, and the message I gained from this story, I feel this is a strong and entertaining effort from LS. ( )
  gpangel | May 19, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,340,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible