The Flight Attendant: A Novel by Chris…

The Flight Attendant: A Novel

by Chris Bohjalian

Chris Bohjalian is an author that I can't count on to entertain me with a good story so I requested his latest book when I saw it on Netgalley. The description made it seem like something that I'd really enjoy.

This follows Cassie, a flight attendant who wakes up one morning after a one night stand next to a dead body. She can't really remember what happened and must piece it together.

I can't really say that I liked Cassie at all. The way she clung to drinking even though it was clearly destroying her life made the book a little less enjoyable. She makes it very hard to like her. As she is not likeable it made the book seem to drag on to me. Quite frankly I just got tired of reading about her.

There was some action and some twists that unfolded towards the end but I feel like some of the action should have come sooner. I would have rather had a little more action and a little less of Cassie bumbling around.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley. ( )
  dpappas | Oct 12, 2017 |
A special thank you to Edelweiss and Random House for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

On Chris Bohjalian's Instagram there is a post where a reader asked him why he always wears a suit and tie to an author event and his response was that it was a way of showing respect and thanks to his readers. I was touched by his post and thought it showed a tremendous amount of class. In return, I would like to thank Chris Bohjalian for the opportunity to read and review an advanced copy of The Flight Attendant.

Bohjalian, known for several of his books including an Oprah pick (Midwives), is a gifted writer. Every novel he crafts is vastly different from the last, yet equally as rich in character development and plot.

In The Flight Attendant, we have a flawed, self-sabotaging unreliable narrator—Cassandra Bowden is a flight attendant with a taste for adventure and alcohol. Being a binge drinker, Cassie suffers from self-loathing and the odd blackout. Waking up in a hotel room in Dubai after a one night stand with a dead body is beyond blacking out. Could she have actually killed him? Afraid to involve the authorities, Cassie starts lying to cover up any speculation that she could be involved. With each lie she tells, she increasingly looks more guilty. How far will she go before the truth comes out that she was with the passenger who was found dead in his hotel room?

I recommend picking up this character-driven thriller/mystery. Bohjalian weaves an engaging tale of regret, murder, and mystery through strong female characters. ( )
  GirlWellRead | Sep 22, 2017 |
THE FLIGHT Attendant
Chris bohjalian

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️
PUBLISHER Doubleday Books
PUBLISHED March 13, 2018

THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT is an intriguing and intense international thriller that will have you tightly buckling your seat belt.

SUMMARY
Cassie Bowden, a veteran flight attendant from New York wakes up in a beautiful hotel room in Dubai, next to a dead man. Blood was everywhere around them, his jugular had been cut. With a piercing hangover caused by her incessant love for alcohol, Cassie can only vaguely remember the events of night before. She knows Alex Sokolov had been on her flight and they had gone out to dinner and had gone back to his hotel for drinks. But she doesn't remember killing this handsome man. Could she had done it? She has no idea, she was blackout drunk. Cassie is way to afraid to call the police, so she leaves the hotel and begins a web of lies and a string of bad choices.

REVIEW
THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT is an intriguing and intense international thriller which captures your attention on take-off. Cassie’s life is just a hot mess and she has no one to blame but herself. Her excessive drinking lies at the root of her cascading problems. And she can't stop, even when she is at the core of an FBI investigation. The story is a unique combination of murder, espionage, and politics with a character who is vulnerable, madly unreliable and in fear for her future. Cassie’s character is fascinating. There was no ceiling to the trouble she caused, and to the trouble she was in.

CHIS BOHJALIAN never fails to entertain us. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT is no different. He has creatively woven a tale with an alcoholic woman in denial that you just don't know what to do with. She has yet to reach rock bottom, and continually makes bad choices time and time again. The conflict for me was I really want her to be okay and get her act together. I particularly loved how BOHJALIAN creatively uses FBI interview notes to tell integral parts of the story.

Thanks to Netgalley, Doubleday Books and Chris Bohjalian for the advance reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Sep 10, 2017 |

Chris Bohjalian is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible