The Flight Attendant: A Novel by Chris…

The Flight Attendant: A Novel (2018)

by Chris Bohjalian

It was good but it wrapped up really quick and I had a hard time following the who’s who and who did what, ( )
  readingfiend | Mar 16, 2019 |
So depressing to see how many people have read this when there are SO many great books out there.

Possibly the dumbest protagonist of any book I've ever read. I actually wanted her to die. I listened to this while working and the only reason I finished it. Way too long and repetitive (perhaps the author was assuming the readers/listeners were as dumb as the main character?) By the end I was rolling my eyes and the finale left me gagging. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Mar 14, 2019 |
Chris Bohjalian seems to have a thing for developing flawed female characters then exploiting their vulnerabilities in his novels. This time it is Cassie, a flight attendant who is a functional alcoholic who wakes from a binge to finds herself in bed with a dead man in Dubai after a one night stand with a passenger.

The story unfolds with Russian operatives, double agents, and attempts to exploit Cassie for information she might be able to glean from her brother-in-law who is in the army.

If you're looking for a cheap suspense novel, this might be for you. If you are looking for good writing and skilled plot development, look elsewhere. ( )
  tangledthread | Jan 4, 2019 |
I have been a fan of this author for quite a while. While this ended up being a pretty good book, I will say, in my opinion, it wasn’t my favorite of his books.

The flight attendant in question, Cassandra Bowden, just wasn’t a very likable person. I understand about addiction and it shapes the way a person behaves, but you really couldn’t have very much sympathy for this woman.

Cassie Bowden wakes up in a Dubai hotel room next to a dead man. He's the man she met on the flight, a passenger whom she flirted with, had dinner and sex and too much to drink. What is your first instinct here? Mine would be to call the police but Cassie decides to flee the hotel room, after wiping the room of her fingerprints. Did she kill him? She doesn't know.

It kept my interest yet seemed to drag a bit. I was hoping it would pick up and refrain from the detail about how Cassie liked to drink and have sex with strangers and her blackouts and self-loathing. Around the 50% mark it really started picking up so I was invested by then. Russian operatives, secrets, police investigations and more lying.

I thought the end wrapped it up but not as strongly, or believably as I had hoped. Would I read more by Bohjalian? Absolutely. This just wasn't my favorite book by the author.

This one was finished up last year but I am just getting around to posting about it so it doesn't count towards my 2019 reading goals and challenges. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Jan 2, 2019 |
Although I enjoyed this book, I needed more development in the ending of the book. The ending felt rushed to me. I enjoyed the book. The premise of an alcoholic flight attendant is probably realistic and the murder in which she was implicated had interesting twists. Readable, but not my favorite Bohjalian novel. ( )
  brangwinn | Dec 29, 2018 |

"A flight attendant wakes up in the wrong hotel, in the wrong bed, with a dead man, and no idea what happened. Cassandra Bowden is no stranger to hungover mornings. She's a binge drinker, her job with the airline making it easy to find adventure, and the occasional blackouts seem to be inevitable. She lives with them, and the accompanying self-loathing. When she awakes in a Dubai hotel room, she tries to piece the previous night back together, counting the minutes until she has to catch her crew shuttle to the airport. She quietly slides out of bed, careful not to aggravate her already pounding head, and looks at the man she spent the night with. She sees his dark hair. His utter stillness. And blood, a slick, still wet pool on the crisp white sheets. Afraid to call the police, she's a single woman alone in a hotel room far from home, Cassie begins to lie. She lies as she joins the other flight attendants and pilots in the van. She lies on the way to Paris as she works the first class cabin. She lies to the FBI agents in New York who meet her at the gate. Soon it's too late to come clean, or face the truth about what really happened back in Dubai. Could she have killed him? If not, who did? Set amid the captivating world of those whose lives unfold at forty thousand feet, The Flight Attendant unveils a spellbinding story of memory, of the giddy pleasures of alcohol and the devastating consequences of addiction, and of murder far from home"--… (more)

Chris Bohjalian is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,514,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible