Causa de muerte by Patricia D. Cornwell

Causa de muerte (original 1996; edition 1998)

by Patricia D. Cornwell

Member:Pinkiland
Title:Causa de muerte
Authors:Patricia D. Cornwell
Info:Atlantida (1998), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Misterio, Suspense

Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell (1996)

English (32)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Also this Scarpetta case was again very captivating. On New Year's Eve, Scarpetta is called to an unusual case. A reporter dove on a 'ship cemetery' and drowned. It soon becomes clear that nothing is as it seems. Scarpetta is prevented from clarifying the case in several ways. Even a police officer threatens her and tries to interfere with the investigation. Then her employee is murdered.
Who has something to cover up? Who threatens Scarpetta and her friends? Why does the FBI have so much interest in this case? A race begins with time. ( )
  Ameise1 | Nov 24, 2018 |
It is New Year's Eve, the last day of Virginia's bloodiest year since the Civil War. Dr. Kay Scarpetta plunges into the murky depths of a ship graveyard to recover the very human remains of Ted Eddings, an investigative reporter. What kind of story was Eddings chasing below the icy surface of the Elizabeth River? And why did Scarpetta receive a phone call from someone reporting the death before the police were notified? She soon discovers that Eddings' murder is merely the first layer of something much deeper --- a labyrinthine conspiracy that will put all of her criminal and forensic knowledge to the test like never before. For Scarpetts, the real challenge won't be cataloging the growing number of dead bodies, but preventing herself and those she loves from becoming the next victims.
  JESGalway | Apr 18, 2018 |
I swear I have a love-hate relationship with the Kay Scarpetta novels of Patricia Cornwell. Time after time, I find myself asking myself why I'm finishing this damned book. Then I go ahead and finish reading the damned book.
This is one of those books. As it veered more and more into the realm of improbability, I kept on reading it. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Mar 6, 2018 |
When a reporter is found drowned in an abandoned shipyard, it looks like an accident. Scarpetta soon realises that somebody deliberately poisoned the diver with gas. To find out who killed him, Scarpetta needs to delve into his work: what was a reporter doing in an abandoned shipyard? It soon turns out there's much more at stake than a murder case.

A nice read with enough twists and tangles to keep you engaged. From a simple murder the story snowballs into a major security threat and Scarpetta plays a pivotal role in getting the truth out.
This novel also involves Scarpetta's niece and other people we have met before in the Scarpetta series.

One thing I always feel when reading Scarpetta is that there is too much personal stuff of Scarpetta involved. It seems like there is always a lot of personal issues intertwined with the investigation which sometimes annoys me. Then again, maybe I should really read the entire series from start to finish some time to really get the full extent of the larger backstory about Scarpetta's personal life. ( )
1 vote Britt84 | Apr 9, 2017 |
I have read other Kay Scarpetta novels, but not necessarily in their series order. Oddly, the one I read just before this also dealt with a body needing to be recovered from water. This one was earlier in the series, and I did find it interesting to already know some future events that will occur in the series while reading this earlier book. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 20, 2016 |

Cornwell, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersson, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Critt, C.J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Earle, JohnPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mott, AdrianPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him.
Luke 23:22
To Susanne Kirk - visionary editor and friend
On the last morning of Virginia's bloodiest year since the Civil War, I built a fire and sat facing a window of darkness where at sunrise I knew I would find the sea.

It is New Year's Eve, the last day of Virginia's bloodiest year since the Civil War. Dr. Kay Scarpetta plunges into the murky depths of a ship graveyard to recover the very human remains of Ted Eddings, an investigative reporter. What kind of story was Eddings chasing below the icy surface of the Elizabeth River? And why did Scarpetta receive a phone call from someone reporting the death before the police were notified? She soon discovers that Eddings' murder is merely the first layer of something much deeper - a labyrinthine conspiracy that will put all of her criminal and forensic knowledge to the test like never before. For Scarpetts, the real challenge won't be cataloging the growing number of dead bodies, but preventing herself and those she loves from becoming the next victims.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425213382, Mass Market Paperback)

Patricia Cornwell's heroine Dr. Kay Scarpetta is back; this time to solve the mystery of the death of an Associated Press reporter who was killed while nosing about in a decommissioned navy yard. Scarpetta's involvement in the case leads her to be targeted for murder herself by a nasty little neo-fascist cult with delusions of grandeur that include a plan to "kill and maim, frighten, brainwash and torture" all who oppose their plan to rule the world. Helping Scarpetta is her niece Lucy, an F.B.I. agent whose computer expertise leads to a heart-stopping journey into cyberspace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

Kay Scarpetta investigates the death of investigative reporter and scuba diver Ted Eddings, whose body was found in the Elizabeth River where he was supposedly investigating Civil War relics. A second murder complicates the situation before the first is solved.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,403,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible