Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell

Cause of Death (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Patricia Cornwell

Member:kristincedar
Title:Cause of Death
Authors:Patricia Cornwell
Info:Berkley (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Cause of Death by Patricia Cornwell (1996)

English (30)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (36)
When a reporter is found drowned in an abandoned shipyard, it looks like an accident. Scarpetta soon realises that somebody deliberately poisoned the diver with gas. To find out who killed him, Scarpetta needs to delve into his work: what was a reporter doing in an abandoned shipyard? It soon turns out there's much more at stake than a murder case.

A nice read with enough twists and tangles to keep you engaged. From a simple murder the story snowballs into a major security threat and Scarpetta plays a pivotal role in getting the truth out.
This novel also involves Scarpetta's niece and other people we have met before in the Scarpetta series.

One thing I always feel when reading Scarpetta is that there is too much personal stuff of Scarpetta involved. It seems like there is always a lot of personal issues intertwined with the investigation which sometimes annoys me. Then again, maybe I should really read the entire series from start to finish some time to really get the full extent of the larger backstory about Scarpetta's personal life. ( )
  Britt84 | Apr 9, 2017 |
I have read other Kay Scarpetta novels, but not necessarily in their series order. Oddly, the one I read just before this also dealt with a body needing to be recovered from water. This one was earlier in the series, and I did find it interesting to already know some future events that will occur in the series while reading this earlier book. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 20, 2016 |
I had almost got used to her overuse of adverbs... then she started putting them in front of the verb and I couldn't take any more, he sniffily said. This book also has a highly improbable, rather rushed ending. ( )
  Chas.Newport | Jul 28, 2015 |
First, the good news: the omni-competent Kay Scarpetta is back, along with her sidekicks, in a murder mystery that's tighter than her last escapade, From Potter's Field. Chief medical examiner for the state of Virginia and an FBI consultant, Kay finds ample opportunity to demonstrate her skills in the autopsy room and outside it, too: here, she also dives with a Navy SEAL rescue squad and, through her computer-genius niece Lucy, an FBI agent, takes... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
I found the plot to be a bit contrived in this one. I know it was pre-9/11, but even before that people weren't going to just waltz into a nuclear power plant with fake ID's. And her going in instead of a trained Fed? I just didn't buy it. And that the guys were so gullible to buy her con? Not so much. It's a shame because the characters were pretty good (except maybe the stock bad guy) but I just couldn't get past the plot implausibilities. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 9, 2014 |

Cornwell, Patriciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersson, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Critt, C.J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him.
Luke 23:22
To Susanne Kirk - visionary editor and friend
On the last morning of Virginia's bloodiest year since the Civil War, I built a fire and sat facing a window of darkness where at sunrise I knew I would find the sea.

It is New Year's Eve, the last day of Virginia's bloodiest year since the Civil War. Dr. Kay Scarpetta plunges into the murky depths of a ship graveyard to recover the very human remains of Ted Eddings, an investigative reporter. What kind of story was Eddings chasing below the icy surface of the Elizabeth River? And why did Scarpetta receive a phone call from someone reporting the death before the police were notified? She soon discovers that Eddings' murder is merely the first layer of something much deeper - a labyrinthine conspiracy that will put all of her criminal and forensic knowledge to the test like never before. For Scarpetts, the real challenge won't be cataloging the growing number of dead bodies, but preventing herself and those she loves from becoming the next victims.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425213382, Mass Market Paperback)

Patricia Cornwell's heroine Dr. Kay Scarpetta is back; this time to solve the mystery of the death of an Associated Press reporter who was killed while nosing about in a decommissioned navy yard. Scarpetta's involvement in the case leads her to be targeted for murder herself by a nasty little neo-fascist cult with delusions of grandeur that include a plan to "kill and maim, frighten, brainwash and torture" all who oppose their plan to rule the world. Helping Scarpetta is her niece Lucy, an F.B.I. agent whose computer expertise leads to a heart-stopping journey into cyberspace.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

Kay Scarpetta investigates the death of investigative reporter and scuba diver Ted Eddings, whose body was found in the Elizabeth River where he was supposedly investigating Civil War relics. A second murder complicates the situation before the first is solved.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible