Sex and Zen and a Bullet in the Head:…

Sex and Zen and a Bullet in the Head: Essential Guide to Hong Kong's… (edition 1997)

by Stefan Hammond

Member:othersam
Title:Sex and Zen and a Bullet in the Head: Essential Guide to Hong Kong's Mind-bending Films
Authors:Stefan Hammond
Info:Titan Books Ltd (1997), Paperback, 272 pages

Sex and Zen & A Bullet in the Head: The Essential Guide to Hong Kong's Mind-bending Films by Stefan Hammond

Although it is very dated now, this is still the most enjoyable guide to Hong Kong film I have seen. And you should probably see the films discussed in the volume before you see any newer ones anyway! It is also nicely illustrated. ( )
  datrappert | Nov 20, 2013 |
This book is an absolute hoot. Too bad it wasn't published when I was younger as I was always trying to find movies made by Tsui Hark and didn't know how to pronounce his name correctly (at least to the Koreans and Vietnamese and Chinese store keepers who were the only ones selling these movies until about 15 years ago). Anyway, nice pronunciation guide and a lot of stuff spelled out in Chinese so I could have just pointed (or pronounced my favorite director's name as "Cho Hok"). The book is peppered with a lot of short sections of fractured subtitles which almost by themselves make it worth getting this title. E.g., "I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way." For a more scholarly approach to the Hong Kong film industry, artistry, and culture, I recommend CITY ON FIRE by Lisa Stokes and Michael Hoover. ( )
  fugitive | Jun 2, 2009 |
I found it useful as a long-time Asian film fan. It had good information for those just getting into Hong Kong films while still being interesting to an experienced fan like myself. I picked up a few hints on titles to look for the next time I'm down in Chinatown.

The book consists mostly of short reviews of movies organized loosely by theme or major star or director with sidebars or short articles on history, culture and points of interest. It's a little dated since it's 12 years old, but still has a good deal of valuable information.

It didn't bother me, but I noticed that they tended to give away the endings of movies, so if spoilers bother you, this might not be the book for you.
1 vote haiirouchuujin | Jan 5, 2009 |

Far from the orbit of Planet Hollywood, the new cinema of Hong Kong beckons.

Gone are the flying pigtails and contrived fist-thuds of your father's favorite chopsockies. These are punch-straight entertainers, movies juddering with the excitement that put the "motion" in motion pictures. Dodge a thousand bullets as you contemplate the heroic gangster-knights of Master Director John Woo. Watch international superstar Jackie Chan perform action-comedy on the edge of peril. Wrap your imagination in the fantasy of director Tsui Hark, who proffers comely ghosts floating on silk, otherworldly romance, and no-joke witches and demons. And there's much more! Fighting femme flicks featuring fatales hiking up their designer dresses and bouncing spike heels off the bad guy's forehead. Stylish tragedies rivaling the best of Hollywood noir. Brain-boiling monster weirdies to delight the grindhouse faithful. Subtitles that mangle the English language into fabulous new mutations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible