Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Mother Like Mine (A Hartley-by-the-Sea…

A Mother Like Mine (A Hartley-by-the-Sea Novel)

by Kate Hewitt

167886,833 (4)1

This is a wonderful book about a mother-daughter relationship and how they learn to care for each other after being apart for 25 years. Laura left when Abby was 2 leaving Abby with her grandma to raise her. Now Laura is back in Hartley-by-the-Sea to stay and they need to learn how to live with each other again and how to find each other again on several different levels. This shows how different relationships are between mothers and daughters and how it can change over time. The descriptions were great. I felt like I was there at Cliff Cafe and watching the different characters. Kate Hewitt does a great job fleshing out the characters and making the reader care for them.

Thanks to Penguin Random House First to Read Program for a copy of this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Abby Rhodes returns to her hometown of Hartley By The Sea in England as a widower with her young son. She has dropped out of college to help her ailing grandmother run their family owned beach cafe. She has a deep connection with her grandmother since she raised her after her mother left. Abby’s sole focus has been her son since her fiance died.

One evening, Abby’s mother Laura returns after being away for twenty years. Laura was fired from her latest job and she has financial problems. She has decided that her return is permanent which agitates Abby. In the beginning, the situation is tense between the two since Laura refuses to explain why she abandoned her. As they begin to work together in the cafe a relationship develops and the reasons for Laura’s past actions are revealed.

This novel is about the healing that happens when two parties work together to repair a gap in their relationship. This is book three of a series by Kate Hewitt, and it can be read as a stand alone story. ( )
  leopolds | Sep 22, 2017 |
I enjoyed this one very much, although I have to admit that it was a little slow to hook me. This story is high on character development and lower on action. Abby and Laura, mother and daughter, have a lot in common, but they don’t know it until they get to know one another. And that isn’t easy, because Laura abandoned Abby when she was a toddler, and Abby doesn’t trust her not to abandon her again, so she tries to maintain a distance from Laura.
Both women became pregnant without that ring on their finger and so had a difficult time of it as single mothers. They both also grew up in the small community of Hartley by the Sea, where gossipping was a way of life. Both tried to escape the small community and the gossip, only to return to face the wagging tongues because they were out of options.

There isn’t much about this book I didn’t like. The setting by the sea was calm and beautiful, and I liked the characters, particularly Abby and Laura. Laura refused to reveal the father’s name when Abby was born, but that came out towards the end of the story, and I found out my ‘inkling’ was right. And the story had a happy ending!

This could make an interesting book club selection. I breezed through the book, but I think that there is a lot that book clubs could discuss; mother-daughter relationships, the stigma of single parenthood, forgiveness, and others. There is a set of discussion questions in the back of the book.

This is the third book in a series, but I did not read the previous books and I can tell you it definitely works as a stand alone!

This book review is included in a tour by TLC Book Tours. I was provided a copy for review purposes. ( )
  Time2Read2 | Sep 10, 2017 |
Your mother returning after no contact for 20 years? Would you be happy or resentful?

Abby was actually shocked that her mother came back to the small village of Hartley-by-the-Sea in England after being in New York. Her mother, Laura, left when Abby was two, and rarely kept in touch.

Laura went on with her life without her daughter, and her mother took care of Abby for her. Her mother now has Abby as an adult and her grandson living with her since Abby's fiancé was killed.

The Rhodes women own a coffee/ice cream shop and live in the attached apartment.

Laura's return caused hard feelings for all and an upset in the living arrangements.

The characters were believable in the sense that similar relationships do exist.

I loved Mary, the grandmother.

Abby was likable.

Laura wasn't too likable, but became somewhat likable as the book continued.

A MOTHER LIKE MINE is a book that made me appreciate my mother and the love and care she selfishly gave to all eight of us.

A MOTHER LIKE MINE was a bit slow for me and out of my usual genre, but I loved the setting of the book and the premise of the book was good.

If you enjoy family interaction and drama, A MOTHER LIKE MINE is a book you will want to read.

ENJOY if you read the book. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  SilversReviews | Aug 29, 2017 |
Monday, August 14, 2017
A Mother Like Mine by Kate Hewitt, © 2017
A Hartley-by-the-Sea Novel, Book 3

My Review:
The warmth in this cover photo goes beyond the sand and surf... It radiates in a heart.

The Lake District of Cumbria
Abby and Laura Rhodes have a lot to relearn about each other ~ and learn anew. Separated by time and place ~ space, actually ~ fitting into each other's life prompts an inward search as well as appearances from without.

This is a four-generational story. Abby Rhodes and her son, Noah, have lived with their grand, Mary, Laura's mum. Due to unresolved pressure, Laura left the home when her daughter Abby was a toddler. Returning with intent to stay longer than previous infrequent visits, Laura shows bravery in being known as she is known by those who glimpsed a view of her absences. Abby is leery of forming a relationship, not knowing when Laura might disappear again. Laura's grandson is elated to have her, and she belongs to him!

Their lives parallel each other. The author has finely woven a story of doubts, fears of abandonment, and reconciling a new relationship that is healing many broken hearts and lives. I liked the secondary characters who came alongside. The setting is grand Mary's beach café. Weaknesses become strengths as especially Abby is stretched beyond her comfort by trying new things. It takes courage to rebuild the past enveloping into a beautiful present.

***Thank you to the publisher for sending a copy of Kate Hewitt's A Mother Like Mine. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Aug 14, 2017 |

"Welcome to England's beautiful Lake District, where a reluctant reunion forges a new bond between a daughter and her wayward mother.... Abby Rhodes is just starting to get her life on track. After her fiance's unexpected death, she returned with her young son to the small village where she grew up and threw herself into helping her ailing grandmother run the town's beach cafe. Then one evening, her mother, Laura, shows up in Hartley-by-the-Sea and announces her plan to stay. After twenty years away, she now wants to focus on the future--and has no intention, it seems, of revisiting the painful past. Laura Rhodes has made a lot of mistakes, and many of them concern her daughter. But as Abby gets little glimpses into her mother's life, she begins to realize there are depths to Laura she never knew. Slowly, Abby and Laura start making tentative steps toward each other, only to have life become even more complicated when an unexpected tragedy arises. Together, the two women will discover truths both sad and surprising that draw them closer to a new understanding of what it means to truly forgive someone you love"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,455,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible