Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner

Crossing to Safety (original 1987; edition 2002)

by Wallace Stegner, Tempest Williams (Introduction)

Title:Crossing to Safety
Authors:Wallace Stegner
Other authors:Tempest Williams (Introduction)
Info:Random House USA Inc (2002), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:SMI - ZWI
Tags:USA, tbr

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Earle Stegner (1987)

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy (Citizenjoyce)
    Citizenjoyce: Another exploration of a tyrant who supposedly loves his family.
    Light Years by James Salter (chrisharpe)
    Rules for Old Men Waiting: A Novel by Peter Pouncey (tandah)

English (82)  Spanish (5)  Catalan (2)  All languages (89)
Stegner writes character driven fiction that defines the relationships between the characters as well as it does the characters themselves. Crossing to Safety is a story of the bonds and conflicts that connect two couples in a lifelong friendship. It’s not always pleasant as the dynamics of ambition, control and dependence play out, but the insight into the balances that hold these lives together makes this a quietly powerful book. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Another on of my very favorite books. I've read it twice, so far. ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
Beautifully written with wonderful observations about friendship and marriage. Highly recommended. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
Thirty years from now, when the Great American Novel debate continues, I hope this book is considered among the likes of Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, and all those other people we're taught are "the greats." In fact, I'll argue its case right now: this book has very interesting characters, passage after passage that makes you think, wonderful writing, and lots of Americanisms. It makes me sad that this book isn't super well known, because it's really quite fabulous. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |
I heard that this book was very popular with book clubs. It was OK, and I finished it, pretty far-fetched story though, passed off as not far-fetched. Didn't really grab me. Too much touchie-feelie sort of feeling. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
I could give all to Time except-except

What I myself have held. But why declare

The things forbidden that while the Customs slept

I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There

And what I would not part with I have kept.

Robert Frost
For M.P.S., in gratitude for more than half a century of love and friendship, and to the friends we were both blessed by.
Floating upward through a confusion of dreams and memory. curving like a trout through the rings of previous risings, I surface.

This is a novel by one of the grand masters of American fiction, about two couples who form a fast-and lifelong-friendship. It begins in the mid-thirties, in mid-Depression, when a nice, bright couple from the West with gifts and dreams but no prospects or connections meets a nice, bright couple from the East with wealth-and the generosity to share.

Set against the backgrounds of several beautifully rendered and most typical American landscapes, the story of the friendship between Larry and Sally Morgan and Sid and Charity Land makes for fiction of humor, sadness, and celebration, that rare novel which the reader declares a gift. Mr. Stegner brilliantly brings to life America as it changes, grows older, evolves, and how the Langs and the Morgans do the same. Each stumbles through life supported by the others, yet in that support, Mr. Stegner renders the occasional penalties of closeness and loyalty, the occasional perils of asking forgiveness. Each achieves a different safety by a different means, yet all are held together by the love of friends.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037575931X, Paperback)

It's deceptively simple: two bright young couples meet during the Depression and form an instant and lifelong friendship. "How do you make a book that anyone will read out of lives as quiet as these?" Larry Morgan, a successful novelist and the narrator of the story, poses that question many years after he and his wife, Sally, have befriended the vibrant, wealthy, and often troubled Sid and Charity Lang. "Where is the high life, the conspicuous waste, the violence, the kinky sex, the death wish?" It's not here. What is here is just as fascinating, just as compelling, as touching, and as tragic.

Crossing to Safety is about loyalty and survival in its most everyday form--the need to create bonds and the urge to tear them apart. Thirty-four years after their first meeting, when Larry and Sally are called back to the Langs' summer home in Vermont, it's as if for a final showdown. How has this friendship defined them? What is its legacy? Stegner offer answers in those small, perfectly rendered moments that make up lives "as quiet as these"--and as familiar as our own. --Sara Nickerson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:32 -0400)

"Called a "magnificently crafted story ... brimming with wisdom" by Howard Frank Mosher in The Washington Post Book World, Crossing to Safety has, since its publication in 1987, established itself as one of the greatest and most cherished American novels of the twentieth century. Tracing the lives, loves, and aspirations of two couples who move between Vermont and Wisconsin, it is a work of quiet majesty, deep compassion, and powerful insight into the alchemy of friendship and marriage."--Jacket.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,815,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible