Space Lords by Cordwainer Smith

Space Lords

by Cordwainer Smith

Series: Instrumentality of Mankind

206156,890 (4.3)3

Space Lords was published in 1965 and is a collection of 5 stories that first appeared in science fiction magazines between June 1961 and August 1964. Four of these appeared in "Galaxy" while Fred Pohl was editor. Cordwainer Smith was a unique voice in science fiction. His stories aren't like other stories and as the author states in his Prologue "There are five stories here. They all concern the future, more or less around A.D. 15,000." The author gives away his inspiration for each of the stories in the prologue, and adds some pointers in the Epilogue. The author writes what may be the most unusual and long dedication to this collection that I have ever read. He was apparently quite ill at the time, as was his wife, and he would pass away and be buried in Arlington cemetery the following year.

These are somewhat scary stories of a dark future for mankind, and there is a bit too much weirdness mixed in here for me to say I really like this stuff. The standout story for me is "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell", pronounced as k-mel, a story I read 6 or 7 years ago and the story that woke me up belatedly to this man's talent. Each of the other stories is also OK to good. The first story, "Mother Hitton's Littul Kittons" serves as an excellent introduction to the future universe that most of the author's stories are set in, but the ending took a very intriguing story and veered way off into weird.

I thought I would enjoy these stories more than I did. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 28, 2016 |

Cordwainer Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ebell, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, JackCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaughan, Jack, 1930-1985.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Groot, RuurdCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ladd, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreuder, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of

Eleanor Jackson of Louisa, Virginia

20 February 1919 to 30 November 1964

{** followed by a tribute to her **}

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515011835, Mass Market Paperback)

1965 PYRAMID PAPERBACK (R-1183)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

The study of the social context of music must consider the day-to-day experiences of its practitioners. This book traces the daily working life and aspirations of British musicians during the sweeping social and economic transformation of Britain from 1750 to 1850.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,794,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible