Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)…

Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2) (original 1977; edition 2003)

by Anne McCaffrey

Member:Rozax
Title:Dragonsinger (Harper Hall Trilogy, Volume 2)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Aladdin (2003), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (1977)

Fledgling by Sharon Lee (timepiece)
    timepiece: Another novel in which a teenager discovers that her problems lie in her stifling environment, not in herself - and that there are people elsewhere who appreciate her talents and contributions.

Dragonsong had a satisfying, happily-ever-after ending so it's a bit surprising that this sequel begins just minutes later, like turning the page to the next chapter. Reading this novel straight, it's approximately 250 pages of what happily-ever-after looks like. Looking a bit deeper, it's Menolly's therapy after her traumatic upbringing. She requires a lot of assurance from phenomenally pleasant people before she can begin to believe she has worth and something to contribute.

The turning point arrives when she loses her temper. I fully agreed with another character who expressed relief that Menolly was willing to stand up for herself after all. Actually I scoffed a bit when it happened, since it's triggered by a silly concern following all of the many graver things that have happened to her, but it actually makes sense. As Menolly's feelings of worth are rising from zero, the first thing she rates herself above is a dog to be kicked by the lowliest minds over the pettiest matters. I'd imagine after this book ends her pride will build still further, until she's ready to take umbrage at increasingly serious challenges to her character. Menolly doesn't return to confront the family that abused her, but it's another kind of victory that she decides they don't even rate a letter.

Pern rates high among imaginary worlds I'd soonest visit, but many of its novels are not aging well (beat your wife lately, F'lar?). Menolly's duology retains its shine, the brightest portion of Anne McCaffrey's legacy. ( )
1 vote Cecrow | Jan 26, 2015 |
I read the first book in the Harper Hall Trilogy last year on the advice of a friend. To be honest, it wasn’t my favorite. I found the characters hard to connect with and the world pretty difficult to jump into as this is a small part of the larger Dragonriders of Pern series.

What brought me back to continue with the series was the fire lizards. When reading Dragonsong I would think about them even when I wasn’t reading and I became a little heart-sick over the fact that they were fictional. They are amazing creatures and I just wanted to see what more trouble they could get up to!

I didn't find myself disappointed, as the fire lizards are front-and-center in this story and make themselves known on practically every page. While Mennoly's journey (no pun intended) is worth reading, it is really the interactions of the fire lizards, and how they may-or-may-not-be connected with people, each other, and dragons, that is the most interesting aspect of this tale to me.

New characters introduced in this second volume were much more appealing than those in Dragonsong. The Masterharper, Sebell, Oldive, and Groghe were all welcome additions to the story.

I can see how this could be a very defining and important series to read for a young adult. I have read many reviews of these books stating how they were integral to their childhood reading experiences. Obviously, I am only just now reading them in adulthood and I cannot help but wonder if a bit of the magic is lost on me. I hope not. ( )
  sixteendays | Jan 14, 2015 |
[Re-read, 2011]

Just as good as I remember it from when I was a kid!

I am impressed (hah!) all over again by the world of Pern. There are some things I find problematic but there's also so much cool stuff. The dragons! Threadfall! Between! The whole society! And I still empathize with Menolly, even if I'm not as shy/self-doubting as I was when I was a kid. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Mennolly is an apprentice harper now, but her troubles are far from over. Having Impressed a clutch of nine fire lizards, she faces unique challenges at the Harper Hall. There's no question Masterharper Robinton appreciates Mennolly's gift, but the attitudes of the other masters who will be teaching her range from skepticism to outright dislike. She faces jealousy from her peers, and though she makes a few friends, she's not sure whether they like her for herself or for her fire lizards. To top it off, a lifetime of being punished for writing music leaves her burdened with self-doubt. Mennolly longed to find a home at the Harper Hall, but will she be able to hold her own there?

I loved this book, possibly even more than I loved the first book. The plot is not as action-packed, but the characters and setting make up for that. And I'm a sucker for boarding school stories; what can I say? Recommended for readers who enjoyed Dragonsong -- don't wait as long between books as I did! ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 7, 2014 |
Read during: Fall 2005

The companion to Dragonsong. Another light and enjoyable read, although I can't imagine anyone could be as self-effacing as Menolly. It makes the teen wish novel of finally being recognized for your hidden talents a bit more likeable.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, SallyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malczynski, ElizabethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Andre Norton this book is respectfully, admiringly, lovingly dedicated
When Menolly, daughter of Yanus Sea Holder, arrived at the Harper Craft Hall, she came in style, aboard a bronze dragon.

MENOLLY - MISTRESS OF FIRE LIZARDS, APPRENTICE OF HARPER HALL

Menolly arrived in triumph at the Harper Hall, aboard a bronze dragon. She had run away from home and lived in a cave, outrun the dread threadfall, impressed nine fire lizards and written songs that pleased the Masterharper of Pern.
But what was her future at the hall to be?

It seemed she was always late or her fire lizards underfoot, and why didn't any of the other girls like her? Now that there was nothing to keep her from her beloved music and fire lizards, could Menolly learn to live among others, realize her talent and find her rightful place in the future of Pern?
    -----------------------------------

O TONGUE, GIVE SOUND TO JOY
AND SING OF HOPE AND PROMISE
ON DRAGON WING
My mighty craft is winged in white;
A dragon of night-dark sea.
Swiftborn, dreamhound and rudderless;
Her captain and crew are me.
I sail a hundred sleeping tides
Where no seaman's ever been
And only my white-winged craft and I
Know the marvels we have seen.

Pursuing her dream to be a Harper of Pern, Menolly studies under the Masterharper learning that more is required than a facility with music and a clever way with words. Sequel to Dragonsong.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,125,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible