The Alzheimer's Medical Advisor: A…

The Alzheimer's Medical Advisor: A Caregiver's Guide to Common Medical and… (2017)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book to be very easy to navigate. I have a friends who has a mother suffering from early onset Alzheimer's and I found that this book helped me to educate myself on the issues she is facing with her mother and to offer help as well. The arrangement of the book in alphabetical order made it easy to reference and it's size made it easy to read as well. ( )
  kerinlo | Dec 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had hoped I would win this book as my mother is slowly getting worse. This book has a ton of information that I can use through each stage of her illness. As the caretaker I will certainly refer to this book many times. Others have stated the qualities --- arranged A to Z, easy to read, nicely bound so that pages remain open. I certainly agree with them. Thank-you for allowing me to get this book, I only wish I didn't have to use it. ( )
  Angel2649 | Dec 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book from Early Reviewers because we have watched two different neighbors go through the process of caring for their loved one, stricken with this disease, at home. There was so much we didn't know and, since both of us are in our late sixties, it seemed that it was time to start thinking and learning about Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias.

My very first impression was that the book was well made. The pages stay open and lie flat without needing to be held open. The text is easy to read with my aging eyes.

Regarding the content, the book defines Alzheimers and dementia and then gives an overview of all aspects of dealing with this disease, from the care of the caregiver, to common medical issues of the patient, to what to expect from health care systems. There are suggestions on how to keep organized and even a blank template to aid in the gathering of the patient's important medical information, in case of hospitalization.

The book itself is well organized and easy to use. Possible health care challenges are arranged A-Z, making them easy to locate if you are faced with a situation you need to quickly evaluate. I really appreciated that in Chapter Six there is reference to on-line videos, that illustrate the tips for measuring vital signs that are summarized in that chapter.

This book covers a lot and I found it an easy to use primer for what to expect when dealing with this disease. ( )
  EllsieFind | Oct 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a great basic reference for those dealing with family members dealing with this cruel disease in their family. My wife’s father, who lives with us, is in advances stage, and this guidebook has helped the whole family. ( )
  joeinma | Oct 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was interested in this book as a reference for my husband who has a parent in the late stages of Alzheimer's Disease. I myself have worked with families who become caregivers for their parents and loved ones, struggling to balance their own needs while taking total care of another person. Medical concerns and questions can be frightening and are an aspect of caregiving that leaves a great deal of uncertainty. This guide helps to answer many of the questions of what to do and when are situations emergencies, alleviating uncertainty and stress.

The guide provides an basic and broad overview of Alzheimer's Disease, much of the background will be a reminder for readers or an introduction for new caregivers. What it offers is an encyclopedic approach to the physical challenges that may be experienced with Alzheimers Disease. Many of the topics covered have been medical issues my husband's family has experienced, some requiring medical care and hospitalization. Some of the topics in the guide may not seem relevant in the larger scheme of the disease, though left unrecognized, can become serious. This is a good book to have on hand for caregivers. ( )
  racahel | Oct 19, 2017 |
This book is dedicated to the millions of family members, friends, neighbors, and professionals who provide care and support to persons with Alzheimer's disease and related conditions. We hope the knowledge and skills gained from this book will help you become a more confident caregiver.
About Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias: Dementia is a brain disease that damages brain cells and causes the person to lose memory and other thinking skills.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book The Alzheimer's Medical Advisor is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible