If My Moon Was Your Sun by Andreas…

If My Moon Was Your Sun

by Andreas Steinhöfel

*I received an eARC copy through NetGalley for review. This review is my honest opinion*

I have mixed feeling about this book. I wanted to like it, but there seemed to be a lot of adult influances, such as jokes about kissing, and old people being 'kooky' and a mention that "butterflies teetered drunkenly", I wouldn't recommend using drunkenly in a children's book. I also don't like the thought that if this happened in real life, it could turn out really bad! (Yes I know it's not supposed to be taken seriously, but making the cops come find you is not my idea of funny.)

But then again, it was a fun story, and the art work, both brilliantly colorful, and slightly exaggerated, fit perfectly with the tone of this story. I liked the characters, and at the story tries to gently teach children about what happens when people get older, and their minds no longer work right all the time.

So overall I liked the writing and characters, but some of the humor and describing words could have been better handled. ( )
  Shadow494 | Feb 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book a delight to listen to its being read with the lovely musical interludes throughout. Exceptionally well done!

I found the concept of a listen-along-CD and a lovely book for ages 8 to 12 quite appealing. The listen-along and book combo is usually reserved for the younger child. To further enhance the intriguing concept for ages 8 to 12 they have added interludes of classical music that punctuates the "chapters." This is a superb opportunity to allow the introduction of classical music into the story time for this age.

The music is beautiful and it connsists of the work of composers Sergi Prokofiev and Georges Bizet. The story is beautifully read and is a translation from the German of a beautiful story. Descriptive phrases and lyric style are well done. A pleasure to listen to it being read or to read oneself.

Grandfather has dementia and is in a home with locked doors and Max wants a day out with his grandfather. So an escape from the confines of the nursing home is executed seamlessly by Max and Grandfather with an older lady slipping out with them. And so they go on their adventure with fun, laughs, and love. As day closes and the moon comes out Max and Grandfather are talking about the moon and the sun and how they revolve. Then Grandfather says, "Who are you?"

Max knows his Grandfather has times of not remembering which is the reason he lives in the "home." Though sadded about his Grandfather's condition, Max wants to help his Grandfather.

The story is beautiful showing the love between a grandson and his grandfather. It is beautifully written in flowing style and with grace and sensitivity. The story can be used to help children understand dementia and how it devastates. Often young children see the effects of dementia on someone they love and don't understand it. This lovely story could help.

On a negative note, while I completely understand this is fiction, it does raise issues. First, a nine-year-old child shouldn't go wandering off across town on his or her own without an adult even having knowledge of his excursion. Secondly, the locks on nursing homes are there for the safety of the residents; and for the dementia resident to leave without a responsible adult is simply asking for trouble and most likely unlawful. Of course, when reading stories like Red Riding Hood we have a little girl traipsing through the deep dark forest unaccompanied, so unattended children on excursions are not new to the literature world. Neither is stretching the law a bit. I did want to point out my concerns about the story while extolling its gentle beauty and wonderful presentation with book and audio.

DISCLOSURE: I received a copy through the Librarything.com Early Reviewers program. Opinions are my own and freely given. ( )
  VeraGodley | Jan 21, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A moving book starting a boy named Max. Max is exceptionally close to his grandfather and their relationship forms the foundation of Max's childhood. His grandfather has begun to suffer from dementia and is currently living in a nursing home. Max comes up with a way to give back some of the love he has received from his grandfather in a way that touches both of them.

The story is moving and the character depth in such a short book is remarkable. It is a scenario that many readers can to relate to on at least one level so emotional connection is quite strong. The art, particularly in connection with the musical CD attached, is powerful and creates a complete sensory experience. This is a strong work with real-world ties and a well-thought out multimedia experience.

That being said, it would be nice to be able to read the book with the musical pieces but without the text narration. It is a minor point but for those that enjoy reading aloud, it does make a difference. Also the speed of the story and the abstract nature of some of the plot/character moments might make it difficult for younger readers/listeners to grasp. On the flip side, this would encourage conversation on the topic which is a plus but it can create a barrier between work and audience. ( )
  loafhunter13 | Nov 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've had relatives with dementia. They managed to live at home with aid but I can understand why it's best to have them in a home that knows how to deal with that issue. That's what spoke to me about this book and I loved it!

Plough Publishing sent me a copy of this book to read for review (thank you). It has been published and you can buy a copy now.

Max dearly loves his grandfather and cherishes all the times they've spent together. Now that he's in a home, it's not the same. But he wants to give his grandfather another good memory before his mind is all gone. He plans it all out and even manages to pull it off.

He sneaks out of the facility with his grandfather right behind him. There's lady teacher following along, too. He takes them by bus to a meadow that lovely green grass, birds and animals, and was private. They shared a picnic lunch, had some juice and enjoyed the freedom. Once his grandfather got a bit confused but Max got him back on track.

When the police and his mother show up he knows their trip is over but he doesn't regret it. I hope his mother learns from this example and takes her father on a few daytrips while he still can.

There is an CD audiobook with music included so after you've read the book, you can listen to the words and hear the musical choices.

This is a lovely book combination and it covers a difficult subject. Maybe no one in your family will be afflicted with it but letting young ones know what is and how they act will probably help them through life.

After I was done reading it, all I wanted to do was hug Max. ( )
  bkfaerie | Nov 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the idea of this book - a young boy wanting to save his grandfather from the impending symptoms of Alzheimer's and return to an easier time. The illustrations are beautifully simple and bright, and really enhanced the story. While I appreciated the story and the pictures, I didn't feel connected to the story at all. It all seemed kind of distant to me. In addition, the typesetting was strangely formatted on each page which got in the way of the overall effect. ( )
  SandSing7 | Oct 31, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Andreas Steinhöfel's book If My Moon Was Your Sun is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible