Full-Size Ford Restoration: 1960-1964

Full-Size Ford Restoration: 1960-1964

Genre: How-to Manual.
Number of Pages: 192.

I love that this book starts by explaining how to choose a project car. It also details the differences between the different Ford models and the meanings between different VINs. I love that it tells you upfront what to expect in terms of what tools you need and how much to expect to spend. It talks about what to avoid in regard to titles, rust cars, basket-cases, and other hazards before purchasing. It also discusses what kind of car you may want based on how much time and energy you want to put into it (a weekend project car or full restoration). It guides you to look for certain things depending on how you will use the future, such as a Sunday driver, a pro-street, or a track car. Finally, the introduction gives you keys to a successful build. For a complete summary, you can go here.

Once we get into the restoration manual, talks about what to look for when inspecting the vehicle after you buy it and are preparing for restoration. It also discusses what you need in your work area, such as tools and room to work. It explains specific information and tips for success, such as documenting every nut and bolt you take off and where it goes. It gives step-by-step instructions for the bodywork and paint, engine, fine tuning, rear axel and driveline, brakes, suspension, interior, and miscellaneous restoration (polishing, electrical and charging systems, ignitions, etc.). It also provides tips for showing and preserving your car, proper storage and care, and market value.

He does a great job adding a ton of pictures and great tips to use along the way. While he tries his best to go in-depth as possible, no book will ever be able to completely cover the entire restoration process. Nothing will ever go as smoothly as it sounds in instruction books. Things never go as planned. But, the format is consistent, so it is easy to follow along with the instructions. You won’t be able to do an entire restoration based on this book, but it is a great starting point. I recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about getting into the hobby. People who have been doing it for years may not find as useful.

Read the full review at: http://judgingmorethanjustthecover.blogspot.com/2018/01/1960-1964-full-size-ford... ( )
  ambergregg | Jan 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I would definitely consider making this a part of my permanent library were I more interested in Ford trucks. I found I had to pry this book away from my 17-year-old son's fingers just to have it long enough to review! [Kleer] may have made a Ford convert out of him. ( )
  tommygon | Nov 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a big ford fan, I loved this book. Even though I'm a Mustang (1968) owner, and this book would be for larger sedans with bigger engines, I got a lot out of this book. A lot of the information is so universal that the owner of any car would definitely get information from this book that they can use. I highly recommend it. ( )
  unagog | Nov 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This Step-By-Step restoration guide is a great thing for just about anybody (beginners or the long time restoration-ist) ( )
  FamiliaRodriguez | Nov 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a great wealth of information for a novice and even for someone who knows about restoration, but needs a refresher on certain parts. The author Colin Kleer does an amazing job of breaking it down step by step for anyone who is ready to get into restoration of Fords. Although, this book focuses on 1960-64 Fords, Colin has an excellent way of explaining the process of full restoration that can be applied to other vehicles.

For someone like me, a complete novice, he explains what you're getting into and how to make the best purchase of which car to take on. I learned so much from this book. Not only was this book a great wealth of information for me, but my father, who is a Ford fanatic and a retired mechanic and collision/body repairman who had 36 years in the business, looked over it as well and said the author did an amazing job of explaining just about everything if you needed to restore a car from scratch. It's not easy to get my father to approve something so enthusiastically and readily when it comes to Fords or mechanic work, so this means a lot coming from him.

I also enjoyed that Colin provides tips and other places/ways of finding help from others in the Ford restoration community. Colin also tells you some of the history of the 1960-64 Fords and what's different about them.

There's a chapter for just about every topic of restoration from engines to paint jobs to interiors and everything in between. He even had chapters on how to show off your car and properly preserve it. And as most people always want to know, he dedicates a short chapter on how to determine the market value of your fully restored pride and joy.

Another great asset of this book is that Colin includes a lot of pictures throughout. He also includes some step by step tutorials with pictures for certain restoration like how to do tin shaping.

Overall, I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to restore their car. And you don't have to be planning to be restoring a 1960-64 Ford to get this book. It provides valuable information for even just fixing your car whether it's one of these Fords or not. However, someone with an older Ford will get the optimal use out of this. ( )
  Blueskies20 | Oct 19, 2017 |
I just thought this book would be interesting to read! I always wanted to know how they work on cars since my mom used to know how to fix many old vehicles. The book, Full-Size Ford Restoration 1960-1964 by Colin Kleer is quite useful with the many different images and steps inside to help one out. It's pretty neat to see how it's all done and great guidance. I really love the real images of the cars being worked on the inside.

It really covers so much information in separate sections. Just looking into the book you can see it has all things from parts, brakes, fluids, carburetor, bodywork, paint and just like everything you need to restore a full-size Ford vehicle. Even if this book was just for the photos, which there are plenty of nice views of the Ford, they are just wonderful. Really capturing a perfect angle of the vehicles and many colors. Some of the show cars are even pretty snazzy in style and there are a few open and closed hoods as well!

Finally, this is a great book on restoring a classic Ford. I found it super helpful, covering so much and everything one needs to know. It would really be something my mom might even enjoy reading, as she was into repairing vehicles back in the day.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Full-Size Ford Restoration: 1960-1964 is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible