Dale vs Daytona: The Intimidator's…

Dale vs Daytona: The Intimidator's Quest to Win the Great American…

by Rick Houston

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dale vs Daytona tells the story of Dale Earnhardt, Sr.'s quest to win The Great American Race, the Daytona 500. For NASCAR and race fans, the Daytona 500 is one of the most preeminent races in the world. Legends are made. If you win, you will be remembered forever.

Dale Earnhardt, Sr., a 7-time NASCAR champion. An icon of the sport, there was one thing he could never get - a Daytona 500 trophy. Dale vs Daytona explores his quest to win the trophy he longed for so much.

The book explores his struggles year by year in easy to digest portions. A chapter is a year beginning with a brief rundown of the race followed by many fun stories and behind the scenes antics. Anyone who has followed NASCAR for a while knows about Dale Sr.'s struggle to win the Daytona 500. What isn't so known is all the behind the scenes struggles to finally get the ultimate prize.

What I love about Rick Houston's books is they have so many stories I don't know. The stories that make NASCAR interesting. We can all easily find who won and who lost. What isn't easy to find is how people felt about things, the shenanigans, the interesting ways cars may have not been quite so legal, the true story. If you are into NASCAR stories by someone who was there, this is a definite must read.

I hope Houston has many more stories to tell. I have read this book as well as his previous book NASCAR's Greatest Race and they are both fantastic. Who knows what gems we can read about in the future? ( )
  mandymarie20 | Jan 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you are a fan of Earnhardt this is a good book to read. It has a few stories compiled that I have not had heard about before. Me favorite part was all the photos of Dale Earnhardt at Daytona. I admittedly do enjoy the other books on Dale Earnhardt that cover his full life and not just Daytona. But if you have read other life stories and you want to get more info on Earnhardt this is a good start. Especially if you want to see more photos of Earnhardt racing. ( )
  Randal37 | Nov 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have never been a NASCAR fan, but I've always been a Dale Earnhardt fan. Yes, you can be both. I watched every Daytona 500 he raced and have never been happier for anyone when he finally got the checkered flag. And then... how could such a minor, happens every day crash kill the Intimidator? It just wasn't fair. Well, I haven't watched a NASCAR race since and probably won't again, but remembering Dale through this wonderful book sure brings back some wonderful times. Terrific stories of each attempt and lots of wonderful color photos make this a must-have for any Dale Earnhardt fan. One of the very few athletes(?) who transcended his sport.
  5hrdrive | Oct 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting attempt to chronicle Dale Earnhardt's 20 year struggle to win the Daytona 500 and the run-up to his fatal accident at the circuit a few years after he had beaten his apparent Daytona Curse. The very nature of the year by year summaries makes the book a little bit repetitive in nature. While there was plenty of information about the different races covered, a lot of it quoting from contemporary race reports or commentaries, I found it a little light on the human emotion side. I can't say I got to know Earnhardt any better from reading this than I already knew from other books on the man. It was a quick and easy read, but I feel it glossed over what potentially could have been some interesting insights, and there was an underlying assumption that the reader had a basic knowledge of NASCAR, and several of the personalities mentioned that could be confusing to the more casual reader. ( )
  gothamajp | Oct 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an avid NASCAR fan, I was devastated when I watched Dale's last race. My heart went out to his family and fellow fans. It was difficult to pick up the remote and watch the next race without Dale. I'm glad I did though, and I'm glad I won this book through LibraryThing. It wasn't easy reading the entire book but overall it left me feeling a touch healed. For those who weren't there for that last race, the book is informative and entertaining without going into too much depth and becoming boring. ( )
  Jenn.S | Oct 21, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rick Houston's book Dale vs Daytona: The Intimidator's Quest to Win the Great American Race is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible