Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry…

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers

by Harry Harrison

360530,197 (3.7)1 / 11

I still dip into this book, whenever nostalgic for 1950's space opera. So it was funny, at the time, and even now. Comedy is hard to review because one doesn't wish to step on the author's jokes, that's not fair. It is certainly one of Harrison's best books, in my opinion. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 10, 2014 |
Botched attempt at humor. I usually like Harry Harrison's books, but this doesn't do it for me. ( )
  Dirk_P_Broer | Dec 3, 2012 |
A classic. Well, perhaps only a classic for the cognoscenti, but still a landmark work. This definitely deserves a 'Don't start here!' warning for those about to explore science fiction in all its forms. As it stands, it still hit the spot for me on a re-read after three or four decades.

Now, you have to understand that this is a lampoon, and so when it starts off with a couple of college kids knocking up an FTL drive in a shed in the back yard and then rapidly proceeds to zipping around the galaxy in a modified 747 ... well, the pointers are there that this is a pastiche of a type of pulp novel from the 50s or 60s. The principal characters are drawn ... no, plastered with a trowel ... as stereotypes, and encounter aliens to which they have stereotypical reactions - quickly overthrown as they determine that the baddies are in fact goodies and vice versa (for a while, and then again maybe not). The damsel is thrown into peril and rescued (time and again); mysterious alien races who could solve all the problems with a snap of their [fingers/tentacles/claws] (delete as appropriate) are encountered - but are aloof or have problems of their own. By now you should realise that the plot is entirely secondary to the intent, but the story still whips along with enough variety to keep you involved.

I found it a pleasure to read. I like Harry Harrison anyway, and I have the background to appreciate the genre that is being ripped-off, so even though this could be seen as really crass and unnecessary it still gets the thumbs up. A lesser writer might have held back, but Harrison has the gumption to follow it through all the way. And, the skill to give it enough of a story to keep you from getting bored.

This isn't a book to recommend to a neophyte, and could definitely put an unprepared reader off, but - for someone harking back to how things were before science fiction became 'literature' - this is a must-read. I can't give it top marks because of its very nature as a pastiche, and because it isn't saying anything 'new' or in a new way. Also, its appeal will be very limited - this is for the discerning reader, only. ( )
3 vote Noisy | Nov 21, 2009 |
A spoof of Campbellian SF & it is funny - once. Google John W. Campbell, a very influential SF writer/editor in the 50's-60's. Earth men were smart, courageous WASPs, aliens were dumb, cowardly BEMs & wanted our women. Earthman ingenuity & courage beat the BEMs EVERY time! ( )
1 vote jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |
This is one of the most irreverent and hilarious books I the canon of science fiction. It pokes holes in so many of the platitudes of space opera and pulp fiction in general that it would put Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles to shame. I recommend it unreservedly. ( )
1 vote rexton | Jun 13, 2006 |

Harrison, Harryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Craddock, AllanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernandes, StanislawCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neehus, RieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0860078507, Mass Market Paperback)

1st edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:04 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible