Star smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry…

Star smashers of the Galaxy Rangers (original 1973; edition 1973)

by Harry Harrison

387827,743 (3.65)1 / 13
Member:Brenden.Phillips
Title:Star smashers of the Galaxy Rangers
Authors:Harry Harrison
Info:New York, Putnam [1973]

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers by Harry Harrison (1973)

Meh. Mildly amusing, deus ex machinas in every chapter, I understand homage and pastiche, I just don't think this is a particularly good one. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
How to review this book. First - its not very good. But than, its not meant to be. This is a book that pokes fun at the science fiction tropes from earlier times - that is, young, smart men who can figure things out almost instantly, a token woman along for the ride. There is even a black guy with typical drawl - who isn't quite what it seems.

Now, I said this book isn't good, and it really isn't. But, since its not really a book meant to be take seriously. However, you might want to read it for sentences like this; "I know one half of you is East German. But the other half is American!" or "... isn't it always like that? after all, on our tree-shaded, Midwest, bible belt, WASP campus, wasn't John the only and he was the janitor?"

Yup. Not good, but written for a point. Generally, if you want something with character development, a plot that makes sense, and something a bit more.... well, transparent, this is not the book for you.

However, its an easy, fast read if you you want to give it a try. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 5, 2015 |
It's so typically and unapologetically Harry Harrison that there's not any way to rate this book. It was fun, it was stupid, the amazing coincidences were there. The shocker, for me, was the absolute end. And that was after being amazed at the silly-fun twist at the beginning of the book. If you like Harrison, then you'll like this book. ( )
  fabooj | Feb 3, 2015 |
I still dip into this book, whenever nostalgic for 1950's space opera. So it was funny, at the time, and even now. Comedy is hard to review because one doesn't wish to step on the author's jokes, that's not fair. It is certainly one of Harrison's best books, in my opinion. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 10, 2014 |
Botched attempt at humor. I usually like Harry Harrison's books, but this doesn't do it for me. ( )
  Dirk_P_Broer | Dec 3, 2012 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitz, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neehus, RieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LauraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Come on, Jerry," Chuck called out cheerfully from inside the rude shed that the two chums had fixed up as a simple laboratory. "This old particle accelerator is fired up and rarin' to go!"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0860078507, Mass Market Paperback)

1st edition paperback, vg++

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:42 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,623,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible