Family matters by Rohinton Mistry

Family matters (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Rohinton Mistry

1,882None3,635 (3.93)174
Member:Parker51
Title:Family matters
Authors:Rohinton Mistry
Info:London: Faber, 2002. 487 p. ; 25 cm.
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry (2002)

English (38)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
One of the best books I have ever read. I spend the last 40 pages in tears. I can't believe how beautiful the writing was. I learned so much about the Parsi community of Mumbai. This book is for my book group that I lead and I can't wait to discuss it. This is a book you want to read slowly and savor every sentence. Beautiful! ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
The third book I've read by this wonderful author! Once again, I become intimate friend with the characters (or hated foe). It's about a family whose trouble starts when the parents wouldn't let Nariman Vakeel marry the woman he loved because she was the wrong religion. He marries a "proper" girl and and woman he loves still haunts him. And to see how his life turns out is so sad. ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 29, 2013 |
Nariman Vakeel suffers from Parkinson's Disease and is living the end of his life with his stepchildren, Jal and Coomy. Although Jal and Coomy have a spacious apartment with enough room for Nariman, their relationship has always been strained and resentment over taking care of Nariman has gradually increased. When Nariman breaks his ankle and is bedridden, Jal and Coomy are unable to stomach the additional chores of bathing and caring for an invalid. They shuttle Nariman to their stepsister Roxanna's home to have him nursed back to health. But Roxanna's life is not easy. She, her husband and 2 sons live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and are just barely surviving financially. The added burden of physically and financially caring for her father cause a strain on the entire family.

Although the setting is Bombay, India and the characters are a Parsi family, the issues and conflicts in this book are universal to any place or time. The difficulty of trying to balance family obligations against living a life you choose is one that many of us face. It was fascinating to see how the different characters handled stress and how their choices changes everyone's life. Excellent writing and a great story. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
The one thing that is common to all cultures is the difficulties in taking care of our aged parents or other family members. So from the beginning this story really hit home, basically had something similar to this happen in my husband's family, although I felt this was a bit exaggerated. The characters were all well drawn, even the characters on the sidelines were interesting and the two young boys won my heart. It definitely showed the effects and strain on everyone in the family and even when things are somewhat resolved these effects still linger. The amazing thing about this novel is that there is still humor and plenty of love, touching moments and though the novel ended in a way I wish it hadn't, the ending was real not sugar coated for a happy ending. Will definitely read more by this author. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 30, 2013 |
I had read this some years ago, but now "read" in again as an audio book. It is the saga of a Parsi family in Bombay/Mumbai and is a great story, well told. ( )
  gbelik | Apr 15, 2013 |
For Freny
A splash of light from the late-afternoon sun lingered at the foot of Nariman's bed as he ended his nap and looked towards the clock.

Nariman Vakeel is an aging patriarch whose advancing Parkinson's disease and it's related complications threaten to destroy his large Parsi family.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037570342X, Paperback)

Set during the 1990s in an overcrowded and politically corrupt Bombay, Rohinton Mistry's Family Matters depicts a family being torn apart by lies, love, and its unresolved demons of the past. Nariman Vakeel is an aging patriarch whose advancing Parkinson's disease and its related complications threaten to destroy his large Parsi family. When Nariman breaks his ankle and becomes bedridden, his two stepchildren turn his care over to their half-sister, Roxanne, who lives in a two-room flat with her husband and two sons. What follows is each character's reaction to this situation, from Roxanne's husband's struggle to provide for his family without neglecting his conscience to their sons' coming of age in an era of uncertainty. Expertly interspersed between these dilemmas are Nariman's tortured remembrances of a forbidden love and its inescapable consequences ("no matter where you go in the world, there is only one story: of youth, and loss, and yearning for redemption. So we tell the same story, over and over. Just the details are different").

Family Matters is a compelling, emotional, and persuasive testimony to the importance of memories in every family's history. In a poetic style rich with detail, Mistry creates a world where fate dances with free will, and the results are often more familiar than anyone would ever care to admit. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:40 -0400)

Rohinton Mistry's enthralling novel is at once a domestic drama and an intently observed portrait of present-day Bombay in all its vitality and corruption. At the age of seventy-nine, Nariman Vakeel, already suffering from Parkinson's disease, breaks an ankle and finds himself wholly dependent on his family. His step-children, Coomy and Jal, have a spacious apartment (in the inaptly named Chateau Felicity), but are too squeamish and resentful to tend to his physical needs. Nariman must now turn to his younger daughter, Roxana, her husband, Yezad, and their two sons, who share a small, crowded home. Their decision will test not only their material resources but, in surprising ways, all their tolerance, compassion, integrity, and faith. Sweeping and intimate, tragic and mirthful, Family Matters is a work of enormous emotional power.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible