Family matters by Rohinton Mistry

Family matters (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Rohinton Mistry

Member:Parker51
Title:Family matters
Authors:Rohinton Mistry
Info:London: Faber, 2002. 487 p. ; 25 cm.
Rating:***
Tags:fiction

Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry (2002)

English (41)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  English (44)
'a novel in which the characters are so well drawn that you feel wrapped up in their problems rather than just privy to them', 31 Mar. 2012
By
sally tarbox

This review is from: Family Matters: 1 (Paperback)
An outstanding novel set in a Zoroastrian family in Bombay. When elderly Nariman, suffering from Parkinson's disease and a broken ankle becomes too much to cope with, his stepchildren offload him onto their stepsister. Living in a tiny flat with two children, a somewhat grudging husband and little money, things become difficult and her husband hatches a convoluted plan to get a promotion and a payrise...
Meanwhile Nariman's stepdaughter is looking for a ploy to avoid having him back once his ankle mends...
A beautiful book that really just encapsulates life: exquisite moments, change, tragedy, things not working out as intended, humour and how experiences can alter a person. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
"Family Matters" is a story of love and obligation between family, of keeping truth alive with memory, and the danger of memory being denied.
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jun 24, 2016 |
I've given up, I've been trying to start this for a long while and I just can't get excited about it. I'm bringing it back to MeetUp and perhaps someone else will enjoy it
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
One of the best books I have ever read. I spend the last 40 pages in tears. I can't believe how beautiful the writing was. I learned so much about the Parsi community of Mumbai. This book is for my book group that I lead and I can't wait to discuss it. This is a book you want to read slowly and savor every sentence. Beautiful! ( )
  erica471 | Jan 5, 2014 |
The third book I've read by this wonderful author! Once again, I become intimate friend with the characters (or hated foe). It's about a family whose trouble starts when the parents wouldn't let Nariman Vakeel marry the woman he loved because she was the wrong religion. He marries a "proper" girl and and woman he loves still haunts him. And to see how his life turns out is so sad. ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 29, 2013 |
For Freny
A splash of light from the late-afternoon sun lingered at the foot of Nariman's bed as he ended his nap and looked towards the clock.

Nariman Vakeel is an aging patriarch whose advancing Parkinson's disease and it's related complications threaten to destroy his large Parsi family.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037570342X, Paperback)

Set during the 1990s in an overcrowded and politically corrupt Bombay, Rohinton Mistry's Family Matters depicts a family being torn apart by lies, love, and its unresolved demons of the past. Nariman Vakeel is an aging patriarch whose advancing Parkinson's disease and its related complications threaten to destroy his large Parsi family. When Nariman breaks his ankle and becomes bedridden, his two stepchildren turn his care over to their half-sister, Roxanne, who lives in a two-room flat with her husband and two sons. What follows is each character's reaction to this situation, from Roxanne's husband's struggle to provide for his family without neglecting his conscience to their sons' coming of age in an era of uncertainty. Expertly interspersed between these dilemmas are Nariman's tortured remembrances of a forbidden love and its inescapable consequences ("no matter where you go in the world, there is only one story: of youth, and loss, and yearning for redemption. So we tell the same story, over and over. Just the details are different").

Family Matters is a compelling, emotional, and persuasive testimony to the importance of memories in every family's history. In a poetic style rich with detail, Mistry creates a world where fate dances with free will, and the results are often more familiar than anyone would ever care to admit. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:16 -0400)

Rohinton Mistry's enthralling novel is at once a domestic drama and an intently observed portrait of present-day Bombay in all its vitality and corruption. At the age of seventy-nine, Nariman Vakeel, already suffering from Parkinson's disease, breaks an ankle and finds himself wholly dependent on his family. His step-children, Coomy and Jal, have a spacious apartment (in the inaptly named Chateau Felicity), but are too squeamish and resentful to tend to his physical needs. Nariman must now turn to his younger daughter, Roxana, her husband, Yezad, and their two sons, who share a small, crowded home. Their decision will test not only their material resources but, in surprising ways, all their tolerance, compassion, integrity, and faith. Sweeping and intimate, tragic and mirthful, Family Matters is a work of enormous emotional power.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,672,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible