Five Quarters of the Orange: A Novel (P.S.)…

Five Quarters of the Orange: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2001; edition 2007)

by Joanne Harris (Author)

3,604722,549 (3.76)1 / 287
Beyond the main street of Les Laveuses runs the Loire, smooth and brown as a sunning snake - but hiding a deadly undertow beneath its moving surface. This is where Framboise, a secretive widow, plies her culinary trade at the crêperie - and lets her memory play strange games. As her nephew attempts to exploit the growing success of the country recipes Framboise has inherited from her mother, a woman remembered with contempt by the villagers, memories of a disturbed childhood during the German Occupation flood back, and expose a past full of betrayal, blackmail and lies.… (more)
Member:silkwall
Title:Five Quarters of the Orange: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Joanne Harris (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2007), 307 pages

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris (2001)

English (70)  Dutch (2)  All languages (72)
Well, I did really like this book and it was hard to put down. But, I don't think it was quite as good as Chocolat trilogy. Or maybe I've just read too much Joanne Harris for now... In any case, I really liked it. And having an old woman as a protagonist was refreshing, and in the flashbacks she was 9, which I found intriguing that it skipped the teenage years and being grown-up but still young, which seems to be the age categories for most female characters at the moment. At least if they're main characters. So, definitely something I liked reading. And in Lollipop Shoes Vianne mentions that they stayed in Les Laveuses with Framboise... Anyway, I think I'll take a bit of a brake from Joanne Harris and come back to her books a bit later. I do really like her writing! ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
I did not like this book as much as Chocolat. It was well written and the two story lines (past and present) were woven well together. The past storyline was set in World War 2 but isn't really about the war. The characters were all lacking and flat. I'm sure in a few years time I will forget that I ever read about them. ( )
  ColourfulThreads | Feb 18, 2021 |
I enjoyed this story about life in occupied rural France during World War II. The writing is excellent...giving hints of deeper truths that are revealed at the end; and evoking the atmosphere of the setting so well. The characters are complex and nuanced. This is a story about how difficult it is to know the truth, about relationships, and about the consequences of war beyond the battlefields. ( )
  LynnB | Feb 8, 2021 |
A very enjoyable book by the author of Chocolate. This book explores the complex arena of family relationships. So many times we think we know why people are like they are and yet the back story is much deeper. ( )
  Jeanene_KP | Apr 6, 2020 |
A captivating story, not because it's pleasant but because of the psychological truth of it and the writing approach which consistently teases the reader with hints of the dark truth. It is also a sociological look at the conflicts and stresses of living in an occupied country (France during WWII). ( )
  snash | Aug 28, 2019 |

Song, Ŭn-gyŏngTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szűr-Szabó, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vré, Monique deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yotam, AdiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my granfather, Georges Payen, who was there.
When my mother died, she left the farm to my brother, Cassis, the fortune in the wine cellar to my sister, Reine-Claude, and to me the youngest, her album, and a two-liter jar containing a single black Perigord truffle, large as a tennis ball, suspended in sunflower oil, that, when uncorked, still releases the rich dank perfume of the forest floor.

It has taken me fifty-five years to begin...The war is vividly remembered in Les Laveuses. There are people here who still don't speak to each other. My mother is an evil legend here. There are so many thing for you to understand. Why my mother did what she did. Why we hid the truth for so long. ANd why I'm telling my story now... In this haunted novel, Harris weaves a powerful tale of tragedy, secrets, and the relationship between a daughter and her mother. As a child, Framboise Dartigen and her family were driven from their small Loire village because of a tragedy that took place during the German occupation-an event that still haunts the town. Now the adult Framboise will find the terrible truth of that long-ago time hidden among the newspaper clipping, herbal cures, and cherished recipes that fill the pages of the scrapbook her mother has bequeathed to her. (from back of book)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,575,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible