The Radical Element (A Tyranny of…

The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)

by Jessica Spotswood (Editor)

Other authors: Dahlia Adler (Contributor), Erin Bowman (Contributor), Dhonielle Clayton (Contributor), Sara Farizan (Contributor), Mackenzi Lee (Contributor)7 more, Stacey Lee (Contributor), Anna-Marie Mclemore (Contributor), Meg Medina (Contributor), Marieke Nijkamp (Contributor), Megan Shepherd (Contributor), Jessica Spotswood (Contributor), Sarvenaz Tash (Contributor)

ARC provided by Candlewick Press via Library Thing

A while back I received an ARC of The Radical Element edited by Jessica Spotswood which is a collection of historical fiction short stories that focus on dauntless girls in history. Overall I gave this 4/5 stars, but here are my individual thoughts on each story.

Daughter of the Book by Dahlia Adler: 4/5 ⭐️
This story I found to be really interesting because I've never read anything with a Jewish main character and I really liked having a look into the religion. I thought this was a sweet little story about going for your dreams and I enjoyed it.

You're a Stranger Here by Mackenzi Lee: 3/5 ⭐️
I'm a big Mackenzi Lee fan but I was surprised at how much I didn't like this story. I just didn't find it to be interesting and couldn't get into it at any point in time, but I did partially enjoy it because I do love Mackenzi's writing style.

The Magician by Erin Bowman: 4/5 ⭐️
This was a nice little story that I thought did a great job showing how unfair it was to be a woman back in history because of the ignorance of others. This followed a girl who was disguised as a boy for almost all her life and how she's working to find her true family, and I very much liked it.

Lady Firebrand by Megan Shepherd: 4/5 ⭐️
This story really stood out to me because the main character was disabled and you don't see that very often. I liked this because it's a perfect example of how girls can do way more than society thinks, even if they're stuck in a wheelchair.

Step Right Up by Jessica Spotswood: 5/5 ⭐️
This was my favorite in the collection and it makes me want to read more by this author. This story had so much in it that was to love from the main character to the humor and to the overall story. I just loved how it was written and feeling that was behind the story.

Glamour by Anna-Marie McLemore: 3/5 ⭐️
This story confused me a little bit which is why I didn't like it as much as the others. I enjoyed it but when big details were revealed with no build up I found myself wondering if I had missed something, but overall it was a nice read.

Better for All the World by Marieke Nijkamp: 4/5 ⭐️
This story I really liked because, from what I gathered, the main character had anxiety or something of that sorts and I just loved the representation it brought with it. It follows a girl following a court case that is arguing for a woman to be unrightfully sterilized and I just found the story to be so interesting.

When the Moonlight Isn't Enough by Dhonielle Clayton: 4/5 ⭐️
This was a nice little story with a bit of fantasy thrown in that I really enjoyed. It shows more about how girls were underestimated but deserved so much more and how one girl fought against her parents to do what she knew was right.

The Belle of the Ball by Sarvenaz Tash: 4/5 ⭐️
I liked this cute little story because it followed an aspiring writer who wanted to create episodes for shows like I Love Lucy someday and even more so wanted to prove a man wrong when hearing him say that women aren't funny.

Land of the Sweet, Home of the Brave by Stacey Lee: 4/5 ⭐️
This was another story with great representation that also featured the main character putting some very ignorant girls back in their place. It was an enjoyable story about going for what you want to go for even in the outcome may be scary.

The Birth of Susi Go-Go by Meg Medina: 3/5 ⭐️
This story was very well written and had a great story to it, but I just personally didn't find it that interesting. Although it wasn't something for me, it was a very nicely written piece that spoke about being who you want to be.

Take Me With U by Sara Farizan: 3/5 ⭐️
This final story was just like the previous one. I enjoyed reading it and the story but it just wasn't very interesting to me. It had a nice story, but the thing that made me like it the most was the casual LGBT representation that was thrown in at the end. ( )
  Dan_Avi | Jul 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a historical fiction collection of short stories focusing on girls who made "radical" decisions for their time. The radical decision can be something as simple as deciding to pursue higher education or passing as white. I thought the collection was a bit boring. The featured girls were a bit lackluster. Unfortunately, this book just wasn't for me. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Mar 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As hit-or-miss as any anthology can be expected to be. There were some stories I found myself skimming and others, such as Glamour by Anne-Marie McLemore and When The Moonlight Isn't Enough by Dhonielle Clayton, that were so beautifully crafted I read them twice over. If you are interested in the stories of 'daredevils, debutantes, and other dauntless girls,' or admire the works of any authors featured within, there is at least one story in THE RADICAL ELEMENT for you. ( )
  fowlie | Feb 19, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In the past year, there has been renewed attention paid to women who speak out and refuse to stand down. The Women’s March, the #MeToo, and “Nevertheless, she persisted” have become part of the national lexicon. Given the current climate, the publication of “The Radical Element: 12 Stories of Daredevils, Debutantes, and Other Dauntless Girls” seems perfectly timed. Editor Jessica Spotswood, who also edited the similar anthology “A Tyranny of Petticoats,” once again gathers a variety of historical stories with young women as the focus. The stories, which are by female YA authors, offer a range of heroines, settings, and contexts, with the unifying theme of the protagonists defying expectations and forging their own paths, whether they are running away from home to study the Talmud or serving as spies during the Civil War.

As with most anthologies, the quality can vary from story to story. However, each author does an excellent job of offering a different voice and a different depiction of rebellion. Additionally, the use of historical settings is effective, since it provides a sense of the oppressive environments women have faced and what rebellion might mean under these circumstances. The different time periods used also gives the authors the opportunity to ground the stories in history, which can pique readers’ interest. The authors’ notes that accompany each story show the connection between the fiction described and the real-life events that helped inspire it. ( )
  sweeks1980 | Feb 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
DNF - I dont think this is the fault of the book, I think I am just not into anthologies. 12+ stories in 300 or less pages is just not a reading experience I particularly enjoy. There were many great authors in this anthology so it makes me sad that I couldnt get into it. In the end, this is a good short story collection about women in history but it was just not for me. ( )
  noveltea88 | Feb 1, 2018 |

Nijkamp, MariekeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepherd, MeganContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spotswood, JessicaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tash, SarvenazContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

An anthology of historical short stories features a diverse array of girls standing up for themselves and their beliefs, forging their own paths while resisting society's expectations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jessica Spotswood's book The Radical Element is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Jessica Spotswood is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible