Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Forever Odd (2005)

by Dean Koontz

Recently added byLeigh.Greyling, CaptLiesmith, sleeplost, private library, mom2kydds, MaraBlaise

English (68)  Tagalog (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
I liked this significantly less than the first book. I don't read horror and graphic violence makes me ill. His townspeople made up for those issues in the first book, but were much less present here, and the scales tipped heavily to the dark material. Odd on his solitary quest is much less interesting. The best bits were his dialog with Danny. The worst were his lengthy encounters with the bad guys, and his actions brought him down several notches in my esteem.
  2wonderY | Oct 15, 2014 |
When I finished this book a friend asked what I thought about it, and my first word to describe it was: fantastical. It's a fantasy novel where unrealistic things happen. The reading level is low, making it a quick read...and all of it is ok. ;) ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I liked this book more than the first one. I'm not even sure why. The voice and pacing and style is all the same as the first book. Maybe it's the deeper mystery this book ends with? Koontz has this talent to write a strong book with wildly improbable characters and occurrences and make it all seem possible. If you like the old Koontz books, or maybe everything up to Life Expectancy, you will probably like the Odd Thomas books. I'm still not happy he hasn't finished the Chris Snow books. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 10, 2014 |
It's been so long since I read Odd Thomas that I forgot how much I love Dean Koontz's writing. There are some superb lines here - memorable, affecting lines. I felt like the story promised more than it delivered, but I still found myself unable to put it down. I loved the ending; I cried. Odd's purity of spirit makes him one of my favorite characters in fiction, and I look forward to reading his next adventure. ( )
  les121 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Unearned suffering is redemptive.

---Martin Luther King, Jr.
Look at those hands, Oh God, those hands toiled to raise me.

---Elvis Presley at his mother's casket
This book is for Trixie, though she will never read it. On the most difficult days at the keyboard, when I despaired, she could always make me laugh. The words good dog are inadequate in her case. She is a good heart and a kind soul, and an angel on four feet.
Waking, I heard a warm wind strumming the loose screen at the open window, and I thought Stormy, but it was not.

Every so often a character so captures the hearts and imaginations of readers that he seems to take on a life of his own long after the final page is turned. For such a character, one book is not enough—readers must know what happens next. Now Dean Koontz returns with the novel his fans have been demanding. With the emotional power and sheer storytelling artistry that are his trademarks, Koontz takes up once more the story of a unique young hero and an eccentric little town in a tale that is equal parts suspense and terror, adventure and mystery—and altogether irresistibly odd.

We’re all a little odd beneath the surface. He’s the most unlikely hero you’ll ever meet—an ordinary guy with a modest job you might never look at twice. But there’s so much more to any of us than meets the eye—and that goes triple for Odd Thomas. For Odd lives always between two worlds in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, where the heroic and the harrowing are everyday events. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead—it’s something that just happened. But as the unofficial goodwill ambassador between our world and theirs, he’s got a duty to do the right thing. That’s the way Odd sees it and that’s why he’s won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death.

A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some living and some not. For in the battle to come, there can be no innocent bystanders, and every sacrifice can tip the balance between despair and hope. Whether you’re meeting Odd Thomas for the first time or he’s already an old friend, you’ll be led on an unforgettable journey through a world of terror, wonder and delight—to a revelation that can change your life. And you can have no better guide than Odd Thomas.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:08 -0400)

When a childhood friend goes missing, medium Odd Thomas and his friends (living and dead) find themselves battling a deadly enemy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,442,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible