Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Forever Odd (2005)

by Dean Koontz

English (73)  Tagalog (1)  French (1)  All languages (75)
another stage in this incredible paranormal saga. Love it!!!! ( )
  kat32969 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I gather this series is kind of a cult classic, but, at least based on this book, I don't get the hype. The hero sees dead people (more accurately, their spirits), but can't hear them. A vulnerable friend is kidnapped, and the hero must work to save him. The hero is sympathetic, and the settings are dramatic. But the villain doesn't make much sense, with ambitions that are a little small for the role. Throughout the book, the writing is padded with throw away lines that seem intended to inject a sardonic humor into the story, but often just slow down the unfolding narrative. ( )
  bezoar44 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Really cannot say enough about Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series only that it is a must read. Dean and I had a falling out over the recent years as I loved some of his earlier stuff and had found his more recent stuff a bit...Odd, pardon the pun. But, with his Odd Thomas series he's found his way back into my good graces. ( )
  prplhez8 | Feb 24, 2015 |
Oh my, but how the mighty have fallen. I really, really, really wanted to like this one. I read Odd Thomas some time ago and I was floored by how much I enjoyed it. With that being said, other than the sarcastic humor that made me fall in love with Odd in Koontz in the first place, I found nothing enjoyable about this second in the series. Without spoilers, let me explain why.

Odd walks... a lot. Then, he walks some more. There is, quite literally, one-hundred-twenty paperback pages of Odd simply walking. Odd finds this, Odd finds that, going into great detail about pieces of garbage that litter the floor of Pico Mundo's sewer system. I'm a slow reader, I like to digest every line an author has written because, after all, they took the time to write it and I feel that every word deserves my attention. In other words, I don't skim or skip about. Because of this, I felt like I was mostly reading a text book on the workings of public waterways and casino architecture. Then, when Koontz does bring the action to Odd, it's very anti-climactic. Odd drones on and on during the pivotal scenes, ad nauseam, about how this is like that and so on. I've seen Koontz do tense, tight action sequences, but this book is completely, and I mean completely devoid of any of that. When the lead baddie bites the dust, Koontz just skips over the action. Skips it. That persons gone. Nothing more to see here. I figure Koontz was trying to let the reader fill in the blanks, but instead he just left me feeling blank.

The one saving grace this book has are the final pages. As with Odd Thomas, the first book in the series, Odd reflects on the human condition at the end and pretty much nails it. Even though the rest of the book stunk and dragged on forever (hey! maybe that's why the author called it Forever Odd) the ending had me in tears. The writing is good, as well, but you come to expect that with an author of Koontz's caliber.

I read this because I plan on reading the entire series. My next review will be for Brother Odd. I can only hope it's better than the second book. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Great suspense supernatural book. Great cintinuation from the first book. Entertaining, funny. Odd Thomas is growing on me. Great character to have in a series. ( )
  dom76 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Unearned suffering is redemptive.

---Martin Luther King, Jr.
Look at those hands, Oh God, those hands toiled to raise me.

---Elvis Presley at his mother's casket
This book is for Trixie, though she will never read it. On the most difficult days at the keyboard, when I despaired, she could always make me laugh. The words good dog are inadequate in her case. She is a good heart and a kind soul, and an angel on four feet.
Waking, I heard a warm wind strumming the loose screen at the open window, and I thought Stormy, but it was not.

Every so often a character so captures the hearts and imaginations of readers that he seems to take on a life of his own long after the final page is turned. For such a character, one book is not enough—readers must know what happens next. Now Dean Koontz returns with the novel his fans have been demanding. With the emotional power and sheer storytelling artistry that are his trademarks, Koontz takes up once more the story of a unique young hero and an eccentric little town in a tale that is equal parts suspense and terror, adventure and mystery—and altogether irresistibly odd.

We’re all a little odd beneath the surface. He’s the most unlikely hero you’ll ever meet—an ordinary guy with a modest job you might never look at twice. But there’s so much more to any of us than meets the eye—and that goes triple for Odd Thomas. For Odd lives always between two worlds in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, where the heroic and the harrowing are everyday events. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead—it’s something that just happened. But as the unofficial goodwill ambassador between our world and theirs, he’s got a duty to do the right thing. That’s the way Odd sees it and that’s why he’s won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death.

A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some living and some not. For in the battle to come, there can be no innocent bystanders, and every sacrifice can tip the balance between despair and hope. Whether you’re meeting Odd Thomas for the first time or he’s already an old friend, you’ll be led on an unforgettable journey through a world of terror, wonder and delight—to a revelation that can change your life. And you can have no better guide than Odd Thomas.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:08 -0400)

When a childhood friend goes missing, medium Odd Thomas and his friends (living and dead) find themselves battling a deadly enemy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible