Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Forever Odd (2005)

by Dean Koontz

Series: Odd Thomas (2)

English (88)  Tagalog (1)  French (1)  All (90)
I truly love Odd. He's an awesome and original character. What a wild ride this book was. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I had read this before. When Odd got to the hotel I knew that I had read this previously. I enjoy the character of Odd. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 7, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: Forever Odd Series: Odd Thomas Author: Dean Koontz Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 309 Synopsis: Odd must rescue a young man with brittle bone disease. Said young man's mother and adopted father were brutally murdered in the kidnapping. Only, things aren't quite as they seem and the young man isn't the final target. Betcha can't guess who is? My Thoughts: While the first book involved Odd, it wasn't ABOUT him. That changes in this book. In a big way. We also aren't dealing with run of the mill psycho's but with a psycho bitch who seems to have some kind of connection to the supernatural. Odd's narrative voice is soothing, calm and laid back, even while telling horrific happenings. Who would think that a battle in the sewers could be exciting and yet perfectly calm? Koontz pulls it off seamlessly. On general principle, I am not an urban fantasy fan or a paranormal fan, but this series is pulling me in. It is hitting all the right "thriller" buttons and I am finding Odd to be a completely likable and sympathetic character. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Review: Forever Odd by Dean Koontz.

I really liked the first book so I decided to try the second of the series. Sometimes a character catches my attention and imagination as Odd Thomas did in the first book. However, this time I don’t think his character was developed enough to bring my expectation to the heights I felt before. I’m not disappointed I read the story because every book in a series sometimes isn’t as enlightening but this one was good enough that I will try another one sometimes later.

Odd Thomas is an ordinary guy with a modest job as a griller in a café but who also lives between two worlds in a small desert town of Pico Mundo. Odd was born with a strange gift, communicating with and seeing the dead. I think he’s just a normal kid with strange behaviors….

In this story a childhood friend of Odd’s disappears. Of course! The worst is feared. Odd uses his unique talents in trying to find his friend Danny, who is suffering a medical condition, called “Brittle Bones” but he discovers something worse than a dead body, he encounters an enemy of exceptionally cleverness whose name is Datura, and soon spirals into a whirlwind of terror and deceit. I followed Odd’s unforgettable journey through the flood control tunnels under the city and met his actual encounter with the villainess and her caring crude henchmen, that she called her little boys….

When attempting to find Danny from one end of the city to the other and underground was harrowing for the mind and body of Odd Thomas. Dean Koontz imagination of darkness takes Odd’s character down and under until he reaches an abandoned casino in the desert with dead people and somewhere on the highest floors of destruction Odd climbs slowly, not knowing what was waiting for him, where Danny was, yet he did know Datura was the vicious snake behind the evil drama….The question is…What was behind the kidnapping of Danny and was he still alive?….but most of all…Where did Dean Koontz find the character, Datura…? Such a lovely character…read and meet Datura!!

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baker, David AaronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Unearned suffering is redemptive.

---Martin Luther King, Jr.
Look at those hands, Oh God, those hands toiled to raise me.

---Elvis Presley at his mother's casket
This book is for Trixie, though she will never read it. On the most difficult days at the keyboard, when I despaired, she could always make me laugh. The words good dog are inadequate in her case. She is a good heart and a kind soul, and an angel on four feet.
Waking, I heard a warm wind strumming the loose screen at the open window, and I thought Stormy, but it was not.

Every so often a character so captures the hearts and imaginations of readers that he seems to take on a life of his own long after the final page is turned. For such a character, one book is not enough—readers must know what happens next. Now Dean Koontz returns with the novel his fans have been demanding. With the emotional power and sheer storytelling artistry that are his trademarks, Koontz takes up once more the story of a unique young hero and an eccentric little town in a tale that is equal parts suspense and terror, adventure and mystery—and altogether irresistibly odd.

We’re all a little odd beneath the surface. He’s the most unlikely hero you’ll ever meet—an ordinary guy with a modest job you might never look at twice. But there’s so much more to any of us than meets the eye—and that goes triple for Odd Thomas. For Odd lives always between two worlds in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, where the heroic and the harrowing are everyday events. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead—it’s something that just happened. But as the unofficial goodwill ambassador between our world and theirs, he’s got a duty to do the right thing. That’s the way Odd sees it and that’s why he’s won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death.

A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some living and some not. For in the battle to come, there can be no innocent bystanders, and every sacrifice can tip the balance between despair and hope. Whether you’re meeting Odd Thomas for the first time or he’s already an old friend, you’ll be led on an unforgettable journey through a world of terror, wonder and delight—to a revelation that can change your life. And you can have no better guide than Odd Thomas.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:20 -0400)

When a childhood friend goes missing, medium Odd Thomas and his friends (living and dead) find themselves battling a deadly enemy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible