Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop…

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (1987)

by Fannie Flagg

5,695109747 (4.11)1 / 285
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are bittersweet - tales of hardship, prejudice and hope although they are set in very different places and very different times. Both are heartwarming, but best of all, both stories also had me laughing uproariously at one point or other. Fried Green Tomatoes jumps around but describes life, race relations and murder in a small Southern town during the Great Depression. Shaffer's novel deals with the occupation (and its aftermath) of the small Channel Island of Guernsey during WWII.… (more)
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (citygirl)
    Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons (shesinplainview)
    shesinplainview: In both books two women become close, one provides protection for the other from an abusive husband.
    The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (historycycles)
    Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes : A Novel by Julie L. Cannon (bucketyell)
    The Interior Life by Katherine Blake (infiniteletters)

English (99)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (108)
I enjoyed the book; it's well written, easy to read, and portrays women's relationships with each other in a simultaneously very positive and very real way. Not many novels do such a good job with women's friendships. The female characters aren't perfect but they are all striving to be good people, written to be so likable. I wanted to see what happened to them as the years stretched on.

But I feel a little conflicted about the book's portrayal of issues like homophobia and racism. This book is pretty sunny about these serious topics. They aren't ignored; they get noted, and they have consequences, and the women fighting against oppression of women understand that oppression stretches to lesbians and people of color (which is not common in books set in these years, so I appreciate that). But they are whitewashed in a strange way that sometimes made me uncomfortable. Here's an example: the ladies have a conversation with the sheriff (I think? some law enforcement officer) about how he wants them to stop serving black people out of the back of the restaurant. They are shrewd and throw everything back at him, noting they know who is participating in KKK rallies (by the shoes -- so clever) and intellectually outpacing him until he essentially leaves with his tail between his legs. It's a great, satisfying scene. But there's no mention of the fact that there's no real threat to them as white people, and they haven't actually done anything meaningful. Meanwhile the KKK is regularly murdering black people throughout this time period.

I try not to measure books against the 2015 stick when they were written earlier, but it did fall flat to me as a modern reader.

I'm sorry to hear that in the film version, Ruth and Idgie were just friends and Ruth was in love with Buddy. What a shame. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Aug 15, 2015 |
Another good vacation read. Lovable characters and an engaging story. I think I would have liked it more if I were thirty years older. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I read this book a long time ago as a teenager, and I've seen the movie more times than I can count. It was nice to re-visit Idgie, Ruth, Mrs. Threadgoode, Evelyn, and the many amazing characters who call Whistle Stop home. This is my favorite "girl power" book. The women in this book are so real, so strong, and their relationships with each other are an inspiration. If you haven't read this book, do yourself a favor and check it out! You won't regret it.

The movie doesn't delve into Idgie and Ruth the way the book does, and I was so happy to see their relationship more fully realized. I remember watching the movie as a child, knowing that Idgie and Ruth were something special, but I wasn't quite sure what. I did know that it resonated deeply with me though. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
I do remember liking this a lot, and wanting more by this author, and then not being overly thrilled with the other stuff I've tried by her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was a really entertaining read. Flagg jumps between the story of Idgie Threadgoode, her partner Ruth, and all of their family and friends in Whistle Stop, Alabama in the 20s - 50s and Evelyn Couch, a middle-aged overweight woman who is having her midlife crisis, and her growing relationship with Ninny Threadgode, Idgie's sister-in-law. Evelyn and Ninny meet in the late 80s at a nursing home in Birmingham, and Ninny tells Evelyn the story of Whistle Stop and its inhabitants, while at the same time empowering Evelyn to find her voice, and her happiness. While the nonlinear storytelling takes some getting used to, I ended up really enjoying it, because a lot of the time I would hear about an event in passing, then get the whole story a little later.

My favorite sections were the ones in Whistle Stop. Each character has their own fun personality, and Flagg does not shy away form depicting the horrible racism that was prevalent during that time (while also drawing interesting parallels during the "present" sections). What I didn't really understand, though, was why everyone in this little Southern town seemed to not care that Idgie and Ruth were in a lesbian relationship. I suppose that, because it was such a small town, and Idgie and Ruth were so well known and loved, that people didn't care. Anyway, I am glad that wasn't a problem, because everyone else seemed to have enough to deal with. Flagg herself grew up in a small town in Alabama, so a lot of this book is taken from her own experiences.

I loved that Flagg included Sipsey's recipes in the back of the book. Southern cooking is so delicious! Now I have a desire to eat fried green tomatoes... ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Jan 23, 2015 |

Fannie Flaggprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langotsky, LillyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Minor, WendellIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I may be sitting here at the Rose Terrace Nursing Home, but in my mind I'm over at the Whistle Stop Cafe having a plate of fried green tomatoes. - Mrs. Cleo Threadgoode June 1986
For Tommy Thompson
The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamieson said business has been good ever since.
He wanted to get out of Chicago; the wind that whipped around the buildings was so cold that it sometimes brought a tear to a man's eye.
But who could have known that all the shiny shoes and flashy three-piece suits could never cover up the bitterness that had been growing in his heart all these years...
His main problem in life, at the moment, was that he loved too well and not too wisely.

"Watch out for Fannie Flagg. When I walked into the Whistle Stop Cafe, she fractured my funny bone, drained my tear ducts, and stole my heart."

Florence King

"Fannie Flagg is a first-class writer. This book is so much fun it makes me sick I missed the Depression."

Erma Bombeck

From the backcover of the Random House first edition (ISBN 0-394-56152-X

no description

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Elderly Mrs. Threadgoode relates the story of her life and of her best friend, Ruth, who ran the Whistle Stop Cafe in Alabama in the thirties.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,759,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible