Before She Was Harriet by Lesa Cline-Ransome

Before She Was Harriet

by Lesa Cline-Ransome, James E. Ransome (Illustrator)

A wonderful read! This book takes a unique look at how Harriet Tubman became the legend she was! ( )
  jcj73 | Apr 8, 2019 |
"A suffragist, A General, A Spy, A Nurse, Aunt Harriot, Moses, A Conductor." She was all this and more. Her impact can be felt through the pages. Illustrator conveys perfectly what is meant to be felt at each page turn. ( )
  Payton02 | Jan 23, 2019 |
This story focuses on Harriet Tubman as a multifaceted human being, rather than someone who was known for just one thing. Beyond the underground railroad, she was a suffragist, a general, a spy, a nurse, a former slave, an auntie, Moses, and most of all in the end she was free.
This book is another side to the single story about Harriet Tubman that we often hear. A reminder that so much more goes on in the lives of the historical figures that we remember for doing one or a couple big things. This book was beautifully illustrated and poetically written.
  maryganderson | Sep 22, 2018 |
I am so glad I went with my gut and chose a book about someone I was already familiar with. Before She Was Harriet is so beautiful in every respect it actually made me quite emotional. The text is pure poetry, but remains informational and true. The illustrations depict difficult situations that are unimaginable to our modern lives, but the strength and determination that is evident brings them to a level that we can understand. I tagged this as k-5 because even older students will be transfixed by its depth. I think it is truly one of the best children's books I have ever read. ( )
  alootens1 | Sep 15, 2018 |
Such a great reminder that behind every great legend there is a humble beginning. Before She was Harriet is a picture book detailing the life of Harriet Tubman who was a woman who fought for the freedom of slaves. It chronicles her life from a young girl sitting and learning with her father, to an old woman weary from years of hard good work. The book not only tells the story, but shows the story from her as a small child to working as a nurse in the field with wounded soldiers and so forth, Love this book for children of every race so that we would remember that great endings require humble beginnings. ( )
  india_paige | Aug 30, 2018 |

Lesa Cline-Ransomeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ransome, James E.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, SiSi AishaNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
LaVoy, JanuaryNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pitts, Lisa ReneeNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Media, Live OakPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A lush and lyrical biography of Harriet Tubman, written in verse. An evocative poem and opulent watercolors come together to honor a woman of humble origins whose courage and compassion make her larger than life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,653,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible