In This Mountain by Jan Karon

In This Mountain

by Jan Karon

in this mountain by jan karon
life goes on with many people in town. father tim has now retired and needs something to get energized about. ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
Just when I was all set to read about the Kavanaugh's adventures in Tennessee, Ms. Karon throws a curveball. While the first book hinted at Father Tim's emotional struggles, this book takes a close look at depression and illness as Father Tim copes with the unexpected. I particularly liked the conclusion of this book. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Dec 30, 2012 |
Seventh in the Father Tim Kavanaugh of Mitford, NC series.

Father Tim, in his usual role of Saving the World, has too much to do, he thinks, to worry much about keeping to his diebetic diet. Plus he’s resentful of the disease, that prevents him from eating the food he wants. So, he goes on an eating binge; the results are somber, as in a diabetic crisis, he blacks out at the wheel of his car, and a tragic accident occurs. Obsessed with what he feels is his responsibility AND with what the townspeople really think of him after the accident, he falls into a deep depression.

This is the darkest of the Mitford series. Karon writes with sensitivity and perhaps a tad too much idealism (I’ve lived in small towns most of my life, and never found ALL the people to be that forgiving). But the books has all the strengths of the series: fine writing, interesting characters that develop, a strong but not offensive presentation of Christianity. But what I truly appreciate about the series is that it deals with real life in a rather matter-of-fact but yet compassionate way: people die whether from natural causes or disease, life moves on as others retire and move away. children grow up and leave, while others come in to take their place.

This is a very fine installment in an excellent series. Highly recommended. ( )
  Joycepa | Jun 24, 2011 |
Father Tim and Cynthia again live in Mitford, following their stint on Whitecap Island. Father Tim dislikes retirement. His wife is adjusting well, however, what is he doing?
  SABC | Mar 12, 2011 |
It took me longer to warm up to this book than to any of the other books I've read so far in the Mitford series. I struggled to keep going through the first half of the book. It felt like a rerun of some of the earlier books in the series. For example, Father Tim's health was a major plot point in one of the earlier books in the series as well as in this book. Been there, done that.

I stuck with it and was rewarded by the last half of the book, which typifies what I love so much about this series. The characters resemble the people I encounter daily at work, at church, at the bank, at the mall. Their problems, both physical and spiritual, are realistic, and, just as in real life, they are not neatly resolved. Father Tim's struggle in this book to distinguish his will from God's will reminded me of this passage in Philippians:

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Although the time frame for this books spans from spring to early fall, it turned out to be a timely read for the Thanksgiving season. Father Tim's sermon on I Thessalonians 5:18 is a wonderful meditation on thanksgiving in all circumstances. It's food for the soul. ( )
2 vote cbl_tn | Nov 16, 2010 |
Moles again!

Mitford Series - Fiction Book 7 CIty and homoetown life - Fiction Father Tim and Cynthia are again living in Mitford.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670031046, Hardcover)

Father Tim Kavanagh and his wife, Cynthia, return from Whitecap Island to "the little town with the big heart" in Jan Karon's seventh novel in the bestselling Mitford series, In This Mountain. Retirement holds challenges Father Tim hasn't anticipated, and even as Cynthia's career as a children's book author and illustrator brings her new accolades, he finds himself dogged by health troubles and dissatisfaction with the way his life is turning out. However, the beloved villagers of Mitford are on hand to offer support and humor through every crisis, and a few new characters are introduced to keep interest in the series fresh. Throughout the tale, Karon folds in themes of grace and forgiveness, and offers hope for even the most difficult situations. Fans will be delighted to find that this installment of the series is full of the engaging descriptions and charming depiction of life in Mitford that first won Karon the loyalty of legions of readers. --Cindy Crosby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:46 -0400)

Father Tim and Cynthia have been at home in Mitford for three years since returning from Whitecap Island.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,227,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible