The Mystery of Her (The Zane Brothers…

The Mystery of Her (The Zane Brothers Detective Series Book 1) (edition 2016)

by Patricia Catacalos (Author)

113,689,591 (4)None
Member:vera_mallard
Title:The Mystery of Her (The Zane Brothers Detective Series Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Catacalos (Author)
Info:(2016), 260 pages
Tags:murders, nurse, Zane Brothers Detective Agency, investigate, romance, Victorian Era, wealthy

The Mystery of Her (The Zane Brothers Detective Series Book 1) by Patricia Catacalos

Recently added byvera_mallard

No tags.

STORY-LINE THE MYSTERY OF HER BY PATRICIA CATACALOS:

There are killers loose in Patricia Catacalos latest novel, the Mystery of Her. Set in London 1888, someone's killing prostitutes in White Chapel and in the wealthy bedrooms of the Ton. Lady Kiera Everett believes the nurse caring for her father murdered him; a nurse he left a substantial amount in a newly amended will. Contacting the Zane Brothers Detective Agency, she hires them to investigate her father's death. Kiera's determined to take part in the investigation. Zachary Zane's determined she won't; Kiera determined she will. Who will win this battle of wills?

During the investigation the Zane's discover Kiera's father's not the only wealthy man to unexpectedly die leaving money to the same nurse. Things are looking suspiciously like murder. Danger, murder, and of course, romance follow Kiera and the Zane brothers. My Victorian Era historical book review of The Mystery of Her follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

A historical Victorian Era mystery romance novel with mystery, murder of the wealthy, the White Chapel murders, and a variety of characters, make an entertaining intriguing read. With everyone's avid interest in Jack The Ripper, Catacalos, vividly and skillfully included these "Ripper like murders" as part of her story-line; the Torso Killer and Leather Apron. Set in London of 1888, the setting was perfect for inclusion.

I felt so sorry for Zachary and the trauma he endured as a child; which turned him into a closed off serious man who hid his emotions. When he told Kiera of the trauma, I could feel his pain. Characterized as closed off and serious, Catacalos's introduction of Kiera into his life, changed Zachary. A man with depth, he sees the life with Kiera and happiness which could be his.

Kiera's a woman born before her time; she wants independence and equality; she's willing to stay a spinster to achieve her goal. She's not the dutiful little wife without input or opinion material; bowing before the master of the house, no way. She wants to take part if she marries. I loved her character.

Catacalos created truly evil villains in this book; giving me chills as I read of their crimes and intentions. Catacalos writing's vivid and her scenes transition smoothly. I could see the dirty filth and squalor of 1888 White Chapel. I could smell the odors, and see the vivid landscape; as well as, the lowly street boys Evan hired and used for surveillance and information. Prostitution's a way of life for many of the uneducated poor residents. How sad live must have been in this area.

With well-developed characters, vivid writing, pacing in line with length of the book, and a sweet romance, I enjoyed reading The Mystery of Her. With many plot threads to bring together, Catacalos skillfully wove an entertaining book. I must include the fact, Catacalos used the crude language of this time period in the White Chapel scenes. Catalcalos had no need of explicit or graphic sex to sell this story; her writing skill alone carried the book. Nor did she fill the pages with fluff to increase the page count. I found The Mystery Of Her a solid intriguing and entertaining historical romance mystery novel. I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend.

THE MYSTERY OF HER RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest Victorian Era historical book review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. No one influenced my voluntary Victorian Era historical book review. ( )
  vera_mallard | Aug 12, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible