dismiss

Light from Heaven (2005)

by Jan Karon

Series: Mitford Years (9)

Father Tim and his wife Cynthia are housesitting on an old farm, and there's plenty to keep them busy. Between dust storms and keeping track of the animals, it is becoming difficult to stop and count their blessings. Then, high atop a nearby mountain, a tremendous challenge presents itself. An old, abandoned church is in need of immediate revival--if Father Tim is up to the task.… (more)

The back cover of this book said it well: "Jan Karon writes ' to give readers an extended family and to applaud the extraordinary beauty of ordinary lives.'" I couldn't agree more. In this 9th book of the series you will find Father Tim and his wife Cynthia house sitting at Meadowgate Farm, while Father Tim takes on the challenge of getting a mountain church that has been closed for 40 years, up and running again. The people he meets and the help that he receives is endearing to the reader.

He will also be sent on a hunt for some long hidden cash hidden inside of Miss Sadie's old car (you have to read this series in order to really know Miss Sadie). Dooley will also discover the gift Sadie left him in this book. All around good story that truly shows the beauty of ordinary folks, in Mitford and on the mountain. ( )
  judyg54 | Aug 4, 2020 |
Father Tim Kavanaugh's characters and themes of love & service come together in this delightful conclusion of the Mitford series.
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
As the last installment in Karon’s Mitford series – readers can continue to follow Father Timothy in Karon’s Father Tim series – this one seemed to come across a bit flat. Mitford and its wonderful town folk take a back seat as Father Tim and Cynthia have moved out to Meadowgate Farm for a year and Father Tim comes out of retirement to revive an old unused missionary church, Holy Trinity. Yes, there is a new cast of vivid characters to meet and fall in love with, but I found the story seemed to peter out instead providing a more satisfying plot resolution, almost as though Karon was rushing to meet a publishing deadline and didn’t have the time to wrap the story up properly.

I will miss my visits to Mitford but at least I can look forward to more stories with Father Timothy. ( )
  lkernagh | Sep 8, 2017 |
Father Timothy is one of my favorite characters. Jan Karon does such a fabulous job creating his thoughts, his manner with people, and his caring ways. She brings in very unique people to interact with Father Tim and his wife. In this edition I liked that his adopted son and brother were involved. Tim takes on a new, challenging role during his retirement which adds wonderful flavor to this book. He continues his relationship with his friends and contacts in Mitford which allows the reader to catch up on what is happening in their lives. It's a delightful read and if you are a Mitford fan you definitely want to read this book. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Light from Heaven
If thou indeed derive thy light from Heaven,
Then, to the measure of that heaven-born light,
Shine, Poet! In thy place, and be content...
--William Wordsworth
For my sister and brothers, Brenda Wilson Furman, Barry Dean Setzer, and Phillip Randolph Setzer, who helped me become better than I might have been...
And in memory of Clarence Bush, beloved younger brother of my grandmother (Miss Fannie), who perished in World War I, and all the brothers and sisters who have given their lives in mortal conflict and are lost to us forever.
The first flake landed on a blackberry bush in the creek bottom of Meadowgate Farm.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,197,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible