Light from Heaven-9 by Jan Karon

Light from Heaven-9 (edition 2006)

by Jan Karon

1,719224,127 (4.12)24
Title:Light from Heaven-9
Authors:Jan Karon (Author)
Info:Penguin (2006), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Tags:g:faithful, series, @lv6, country, parenting, love

Light from Heaven by Jan Karon

Recently added byJoycejl, private library, KimSalyers, SouthminsterPres, fitp, AbbyFreeLibrary, MEHausbeck

Father Timothy is one of my favorite characters. Jan Karon does such a fabulous job creating his thoughts, his manner with people, and his caring ways. She brings in very unique people to interact with Father Tim and his wife. In this edition I liked that his adopted son and brother were involved. Tim takes on a new, challenging role during his retirement which adds wonderful flavor to this book. He continues his relationship with his friends and contacts in Mitford which allows the reader to catch up on what is happening in their lives. It's a delightful read and if you are a Mitford fan you definitely want to read this book. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
Mitford (N.C. : Imaginary place), Church membership, Episcopalians, North Carolina, Clergy, Kavanagh, Timothy (Fictitious character)
  3lilreds | Feb 26, 2016 |
The last book in the 9-book Mitford series. Father Tim and Cynthia are spending the year at Meadowgate Farm. He's also taken on being Vicar of Holy Trinity - a mountain church that's been closed for 40 years. And, they've taken Sammy Barlow in. Only Kenny is still missing.

I listened to the audio book, narrated by John McDonough. He does a fine job. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 14, 2016 |
This is the ninth and last of Jan Karon's 'Mitford' series about the American Episcopal priest Father Tim and his delightful wife Cynthia. In this novel, Tim and Cynthia spend a year at their friends' farm, Meadowgate, while their friends are away. It's not far from Mitford, so Tim (and we, the readers!) manage to keep up with news of old friends. But Tim also gets asked to take on a new job: to re-start a regular service at a small church in the mountains. There he meets the wonderful Agnes - an elderly and robust lady who gave many years of her life to the mission field. Having been aquainted with two such ladies myself, I found her believable and a great asset to the novel.

A few reader reviews on Amazon objected to the new characters who were introduced in this story. I thought it was a great idea to start some new threads; otherwise the book would have been too much like the previous ones. Yes, there were some ongoing plot-lines which were nicely tied up in this book, but if that had been all, it would have felt rather slow and tedious. As it was, Tim's new parish and parishioners provided a nice contrast to his older friends in Mitford.

Of course there's a Christian theme running through the book, mostly low-key although there are a few pages of Scripture explanations and mention of the 'Sinners' prayer'. Although a Christian myself, I often find such things rather cringeworthy in novels, and indeed I did find myself skimming a bit when these cropped up. But they're mostly well-written and fit well with the story and characters so they don't feel too out-of-place. It would be quite possible to skip those passages although an understanding of what they are about probably adds to the enjoyment of the novel in general.

I enjoyed reading this in its rightful place in the series, directly after reading all the others. But I think it probably could have been read as a novel on its own, since there were the fresh characters. All in all, I thought it an excellent ending to the series. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Light from Heaven
If thou indeed derive thy light from Heaven,
Then, to the measure of that heaven-born light,
Shine, Poet! In thy place, and be content...
--William Wordsworth
For my sister and brothers, Brenda Wilson Furman, Barry Dean Setzer, and Phillip Randolph Setzer, who helped me become better than I might have been...
And in memory of Clarence Bush, beloved younger brother of my grandmother (Miss Fannie), who perished in World War I, and all the brothers and sisters who have given their lives in mortal conflict and are lost to us forever.
The first flake landed on a blackberry bush in the creek bottom of Meadowgate Farm.

It's never too late.

Father Tim Kavanagh has been asked to "come up higher" more than once. But he's never been asked to do the impossible-until now. The retired Episcopal priest takes on the revival of a mountain church that's been closed for forty years. Meanwhile, in Mitford, he's sent on a hunt for hidden treasure, and two beloved friends are called to come up higher. As Father Tim finds, there are still plenty of heartfelt surprises, dear friends old and new, and the most important lesson of all: It's never too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

All good things--even laughter and orange marmalade cake--must come to an end. And in Light from Heaven, the long-anticipated final volume in the phenomenally successful Mitford Years series, Karon deftly ties up all the loose ends of Father Timothy Kavanagh's deeply affecting life. On a century-old valley farm where Father Tim and Cynthia are housesitting, there's plenty to say grace over, from the havoc of a windstorm to a surprising new addition to the household and a mystery in the chicken house.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,763,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible