Light from Heaven-9 by Jan Karon
Info:Penguin (2006), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Tags:g:faithful, series, @lv6, country, parenting, love

Light from Heaven by Jan Karon

The Mitford years wrap up in book 9, and Fr. Tim is just as lovable as ever. I think the story has gotten a little strained in the search for Dooley's siblings, and it's getting a bit tired. But the continuing picture of Mitford and its sometimes eccentric inhabitants is still a draw. I think Karon has a gone a little heavy handed on the preachiness, though. ( )
  TerriBooks | Jun 10, 2015 |
V good. I liked that some imperfection entered itself into Fr Tim's life and let people come to HIS aid for a change. A real page turner that I didn't want to end. ( )
  lhaines56 | Nov 9, 2014 |
When I received Jan Karon's latest book ("Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good" as an Early Reader Giveaway, I realized I had missed a couple of her previous books including this one. I appreciated listening to this book and the reader's voice made me think it must be what Father Tim would sound like if he were a real person. There were a lot of people in this story, but the ones on the mountain were just as interesting if not more so than the ones in Mitford. But when he did visit Mitford, I loved hearing Lew Boyds corny jokes. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 22, 2014 |
Last in the series of Mitford novels, and it shows. Karon started off with the same tone and pace that she normally does, but partway through the book seems to realize that she has to wrap up a lot of story lines and does so in a way that doesn’t seem believable or satisfying. Father Tim is house sitting at his friend’s farm and is given a mountain church to re-open after many of years of neglect. Many familiar characters make an appearance, but Karon has too many story lines going and doesn’t do justice to any of them. If you like this series, then this book is worth checking out, but if you haven’t read the others, don’t bother.

I started to read this again in 2010 and just couldn't finish it. The book is too insipid and Karon has lost her touch with characters. She is focusing more on the religious side of the writing and the story has become secondary. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
My last re-read in Mitford (for awhile) and it was lovely. I so enjoyed watching Father Tim get a country church up and running, and I enjoyed the ways in which God's miracles and grace showed themselves in the lives of those who believed and even those who didn't. This was a lovely conclusion to the Mitford years, and I'm grateful that Ms. Karon doesn't leave us hanging but continues telling us stories of Father Tim. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 2, 2013 |
Light from Heaven
If thou indeed derive thy light from Heaven,
Then, to the measure of that heaven-born light,
Shine, Poet! In thy place, and be content...
--William Wordsworth
For my sister and brothers, Brenda Wilson Furman, Barry Dean Setzer, and Phillip Randolph Setzer, who helped me become better than I might have been...
And in memory of Clarence Bush, beloved younger brother of my grandmother (Miss Fannie), who perished in World War I, and all the brothers and sisters who have given their lives in mortal conflict and are lost to us forever.
The first flake landed on a blackberry bush in the creek bottom of Meadowgate Farm.

It's never too late.

Father Tim Kavanagh has been asked to "come up higher" more than once. But he's never been asked to do the impossible-until now. The retired Episcopal priest takes on the revival of a mountain church that's been closed for forty years. Meanwhile, in Mitford, he's sent on a hunt for hidden treasure, and two beloved friends are called to come up higher. As Father Tim finds, there are still plenty of heartfelt surprises, dear friends old and new, and the most important lesson of all: It's never too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

All good things--even laughter and orange marmalade cake--must come to an end. And in Light from Heaven, the long-anticipated final volume in the phenomenally successful Mitford Years series, Karon deftly ties up all the loose ends of Father Timothy Kavanagh's deeply affecting life. On a century-old valley farm where Father Tim and Cynthia are housesitting, there's plenty to say grace over, from the havoc of a windstorm to a surprising new addition to the household and a mystery in the chicken house.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible