Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel by Ann…

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Ann B. Ross

Member:mommie769
Title:Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel
Authors:Ann B. Ross
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2000), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Ann B. Ross, Read but unowned

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (1999)

This is not normally the type of book that I usually read, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's funny, but also a very interesting social commentary. The main character is somewhat unlikeable at first (though still funny), then pitiful, then admirable. I found that the book was actually very insightful on a number of interesting subjects, including religion and women's rights, but still very entertaining.

One issue I took with the book was the portrayal of Miss Julia's African American housekeeper, Lillian. Lillian was actually my favorite character, but the way she was portrayed initially seemed like a offensive caricature. Her character does ultimately become more developed, but I was put off by the way she was portrayed in the beginning of the book. ( )
  slug9000 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I loved this story...I loved the characters...most of them anyway! You have the "villains" in here like any other story....And their villains were that....Made you love to hate them! No, this isn't fantasy, sci-fi or anything like that...It's just regular fiction. Little bit of a suspense and having you wondering what's going to happen but knowing that things could work out.

Now, Miss Julia, sometimes got on my last nerve...but I adored her! But I could understand why she did some of the things she did and thought the way she did...but it was annoying still mostly because, at the age she is, she should know better...but...even that has a flip side because for so long...things went one way all of her life, and after she got out from under those things, they were still deeply instilled in her.

When I saw these books at my local bookstore, I grabbed one of each title that I saw and had to order this one online because it wasn't with the books I bought and this is the first in the series. But I do have the first eight (8) books in what I believe has at least fifteen (15) books total. I'm not quite sure if it has to be read in order, but I do suggest you read this first so that you can understand what's going on in the other books and how things ended up being how they are.

There is very little cussing in this book and Miss Julia and her people are spiritual people but you're not bombarded with it. I really can't say too much more than that without giving spoilers, which I try not to do often.

This was an easy, light read that I will gladly go on to the next one soon. I will read them between other books I am trying to catch up on and/or when I just need a light, cute, make you smile and/or laugh kind of read.

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
Finally read this book and it was an enjoyable, quick read. I'd chosen it for Mom to read. I plan to read the next in the series. ( )
  EllenH | Nov 24, 2013 |

Ann B. Rossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, Charles, and John Michael
I'd just caught my breath after the shock of my husband's sudden passing when his last legacy showed up on my front porch.

Miss Julia, a recently bereaved and newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow and unceremoniously announces that the child is the bastard son of Miss Julia's late husband. Suddenly, this longtime church member and pillar of her small Southern community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal-and the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence turns her life upside down.

With razor-sharp wit and perfect "Steel Magnolia" poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed-about a robbery, a kidnapping, and the other disgraceful events precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced and charming, with a sure sense of comic drama, a cast of crazy characters, and a strong Southern cadence, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind will delight readers from first page to last.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:23 -0400)

Shortly after the death of her husband, a wealthy Southern widow is visited by an impoverished young woman with a small boy. A mistress? A son? Julia Springer can't believe it, only to discover that the whole town has known for years. But she will rise to the occasion when the boy is kidnaped.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,372,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible