Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel by Ann…

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Ann B. Ross

Member:mommie769
Title:Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel
Authors:Ann B. Ross
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2000), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Ann B. Ross, Read but unowned

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (1999)

Timing and expectations were everything when it came to me and my love for this book. After trying it once before after expecting more of a cozy mystery, I was disappointed and didn't end up finishing the book. This go around, I went in expecting a story that was more about Miss Julia and her adjustment period after her husbands death and was pleased with her character to no end. She was sheltered by her husband and was quick to learn how to live with independence and was filled with spunk all the while. She endures a number of trials and tribulations, including a mystery. There is no doubt that as I age myself, I have a new found appreciation for characters such as Miss Julia. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Miss Julia's husband recently passed away and left her a rich woman. She's now enjoying getting to do things for herself and speak her own mind. The Hazel Marie Puckett shows up with her son Little Lloyd whose father happens to be Julia's husband. Hazel Marie takes off for beauty school leaving Julia to deal with Little Lloyd and the sudden knowledge that her husband cheated on her. Meanwhile Pastor Ledbetter is trying to get Miss Julia to finance a family center at the church and isn't above using unusual means to get the task accomplished. When a strange preacher shows up and takes Little Llloyd things become more complicated. I enjoy Miss Julia and liked this first novel in the series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Considering that the author lives down the street and is a genuinely nice person, and the story is set in a thinly veiled version of the town in which I have lived since the late '80s, I wish I liked this book better. I found it contrived and silly. Sorry, Ann. ( )

Ann B. Rossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, Charles, and John Michael
I'd just caught my breath after the shock of my husband's sudden passing when his last legacy showed up on my front porch.

Miss Julia, a recently bereaved and newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow and unceremoniously announces that the child is the bastard son of Miss Julia's late husband. Suddenly, this longtime church member and pillar of her small Southern community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal-and the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence turns her life upside down.

With razor-sharp wit and perfect "Steel Magnolia" poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed-about a robbery, a kidnapping, and the other disgraceful events precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced and charming, with a sure sense of comic drama, a cast of crazy characters, and a strong Southern cadence, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind will delight readers from first page to last.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Shortly after the death of her husband, a wealthy Southern widow is visited by an impoverished young woman with a small boy. A mistress? A son? Julia Springer can't believe it, only to discover that the whole town has known for years. But she will rise to the occasion when the boy is kidnaped.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 11 books! | Top bar: Always visible