Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel by Ann…

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Ann B. Ross

Member:mommie769
Title:Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel
Authors:Ann B. Ross
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2000), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Ann B. Ross, Read but unowned

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross (1999)

I loved this story...I loved the characters...most of them anyway! You have the "villains" in here like any other story....And their villains were that....Made you love to hate them! No, this isn't fantasy, sci-fi or anything like that...It's just regular fiction. Little bit of a suspense and having you wondering what's going to happen but knowing that things could work out.

Now, Miss Julia, sometimes got on my last nerve...but I adored her! But I could understand why she did some of the things she did and thought the way she did...but it was annoying still mostly because, at the age she is, she should know better...but...even that has a flip side because for so long...things went one way all of her life, and after she got out from under those things, they were still deeply instilled in her.

When I saw these books at my local bookstore, I grabbed one of each title that I saw and had to order this one online because it wasn't with the books I bought and this is the first in the series. But I do have the first eight (8) books in what I believe has at least fifteen (15) books total. I'm not quite sure if it has to be read in order, but I do suggest you read this first so that you can understand what's going on in the other books and how things ended up being how they are.

There is very little cussing in this book and Miss Julia and her people are spiritual people but you're not bombarded with it. I really can't say too much more than that without giving spoilers, which I try not to do often.

This was an easy, light read that I will gladly go on to the next one soon. I will read them between other books I am trying to catch up on and/or when I just need a light, cute, make you smile and/or laugh kind of read.

MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |

OBridget1 | May 4, 2014 |

BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
Finally read this book and it was an enjoyable, quick read. I'd chosen it for Mom to read. I plan to read the next in the series. ( )
  EllenH | Nov 24, 2013 |
This is a mystery that doesn't have any dead bodies but a puzzle that is complicated confusing and all tied up in things like inheritances, religion, illegtimate children and a plot to get that inheritance at all costs. The main character is Miss Julia and she is something else. A woman married 44 years, widowed and struggling to find her own being after living the life her husband dictated for so long. It is a roller coaster ride and as much fun to read.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this marvelous series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Ann B. Rossprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice, Charles, and John Michael
I'd just caught my breath after the shock of my husband's sudden passing when his last legacy showed up on my front porch.

Miss Julia, a recently bereaved and newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow and unceremoniously announces that the child is the bastard son of Miss Julia's late husband. Suddenly, this longtime church member and pillar of her small Southern community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal-and the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence turns her life upside down.

With razor-sharp wit and perfect "Steel Magnolia" poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed-about a robbery, a kidnapping, and the other disgraceful events precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced and charming, with a sure sense of comic drama, a cast of crazy characters, and a strong Southern cadence, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind will delight readers from first page to last.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:23 -0400)

Shortly after the death of her husband, a wealthy Southern widow is visited by an impoverished young woman with a small boy. A mistress? A son? Julia Springer can't believe it, only to discover that the whole town has known for years. But she will rise to the occasion when the boy is kidnaped.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible