Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (foggidawn)
    Mira, Mirror by Mette Harrison (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these richly imagined fantasies, a plain but musically talented servant (Fairest) and a witch transformed into a mirror (Mira, Mirror) offer unique perspectives on the fairy tale of Snow White. Both books feature strong characters faced with complicated choices.… (more)
    The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry (stephxsu)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (megan003)

English (108)  Spanish (1)  All (109)
This is very thinly connected to Ella Enchanted but it is clearly able to stand on its own and it does that very well.
It deals with things like body image and being different but within the realm of fantasy.
Gail Carson Levine just hits it out of the ball park with this book. ( )
  Alana_Platt | May 21, 2017 |
I bought this book because it was on clearance. I really enjoyed it. I want to read more of Gail Carson Levine's books now. I love fairy tales. Anything with that kind of setting I will most likely enjoy.

For juveniles it teaches the importance of self-confidence, beauty is only skin deep (and often false), wit and talent is more lasting. ( )
  lnuenke | Apr 21, 2017 |
Aza might have the most unusual and loveliest voice in all of Ayortha, a kingdom of singers. But because so many people--including Aza herself--consider her to be ugly, she'll go to foolish lengths in her attempts to magically become pretty in Fairest, a novel by Gail Carson Levine.

Oh, fairy tales aren't my go-to type of reading, and I don't reach for many middle grade books to read either. But I once saw and enjoyed the movie Ella Enchanted, based (loosely?) on the Newbery Honor book by the same author. As I used to read more fantasy as a child, it's been my plan for some time to dip back into fantasy fiction of the mythical and magical variety. So, when I happened to come across this novel, I figured, "Hey. Why not?"

This fantastical tale turned out to be quite engaging with excellent drops of genius along the way. There's blackmail, betrayal, and some violence, but also endearing kindness and romance in the story, along with Aza's down-to-earth lesson that young people (and, I daresay, grown folks as well) can learn from. The novel didn't leave me with a Chronicles-of-Narnia kind of "wooow," but still, every minute of it was worthwhile to me.

So, I'll say this book is my small, happy step back into the mythical and magical side of things. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Dec 21, 2016 |
Not me favorite by far. Boring, and drab! ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Lovely story. If at all possible, try to listen to the audio book, it really makes the songs come alive. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
To David, who has a chamber in my heart.
To Rosemary Brosnan, who sweetly wields the knife.
Many thanks to opera star Janet Hopkins for introducing me, with kindness and encouragement, to the mysteries of singing.
I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who wanted to be pretty . . .

Aza's singing is the fairest in all the land, and the most unusual. She can "throw" her voice so it seems to come from anywhere. But singing is only one of the two qualities prized in the Kingdom of Ayortha. Aza doesn't possess the other: beauty. Not even close. She's hidden in the shadows in her parents' inn, but when she becomes lady-in-waiting to the new queen, she has to step into the light—especially when the queen demands a dangerous favor. A magic mirror, a charming prince, a jealous queen, palace intrigue, and an injured king twine into a maze that Aza must penetrate to save herself and her beloved kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

In a land where beauty and singing are valued above all else, Aza eventually comes to reconcile her unconventional appearance and her magical voice, and learns to accept herself for who she truly is.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,206,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible