Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

Fairest (edition 2006)

by Gail Carson Levine (Author)

Member:the1butterfly
Title:Fairest
Authors:Gail Carson Levine (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2006), 326 pages
Tags:Fairy Tale, Fiction, Snow White

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (foggidawn)
    Mira, Mirror by Mette Harrison (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these richly imagined fantasies, a plain but musically talented servant (Fairest) and a witch transformed into a mirror (Mira, Mirror) offer unique perspectives on the fairy tale of Snow White. Both books feature strong characters faced with complicated choices.… (more)
    The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry (stephxsu)
    Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock (megan003)

English (112)  Spanish (1)  All languages (113)
My daughter (who is 9 yrs old) read this book from her school library and absolutely loved it. At her prompting, I also read it. I found it completely enthralling.

I loved the writing and the storytelling (I read this in one day - could not put it down). I loved the suspense and action. I loved the characters and the twist on the fairytale genre. But most of all, I loved the message it's leaving the girls who read it.

For once, we have a kind, good, strong heroine who doesn't just imagine she's not pretty - she actually isn't - at least, according to the world's standards. But unlike other stories with a less attractive lead female, the answer isn't ultimately to "fix" her, nor to see she's "pretty on the inside". (Hate that concept - what is pretty on the inside, anyway??). Instead, it deals with this issue - knowing you don't measure up to society's standard of beauty - with an authentic voice and beautiful truths (without giving too much away, things like your looks don't have to define you, and that there are worse things to be than unpretty and that people love all sorts of looks).

I adore the way this story ended, and it's no wonder it is now one of my daughter's favourites. I'd highly recommend it to girls and women alike. An entirely delightful read. ( )
  AlyssaThiessen | Apr 29, 2018 |
So how much does beauty matter? How much does it matter to sing beautifully in a land in which singing is a major part of the culture and almost as important as talking? Can anyone really fit in when they're markedly different and what would they do to fit in? In this retelling of Snow White we have a girl who isn't especially beautiful and who doesn't like apples, but who catches the eye of a queen who wants to fit in as much as she does and is being mislead by a magic mirror. ( )
  the1butterfly | Apr 17, 2018 |
Good. ( )
  EdenSteffey | Mar 14, 2018 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 18, 2017 |
This is very thinly connected to Ella Enchanted but it is clearly able to stand on its own and it does that very well.
It deals with things like body image and being different but within the realm of fantasy.
Gail Carson Levine just hits it out of the ball park with this book. ( )
  Alana_Platt | May 21, 2017 |
To David, who has a chamber in my heart.
To Rosemary Brosnan, who sweetly wields the knife.
Many thanks to opera star Janet Hopkins for introducing me, with kindness and encouragement, to the mysteries of singing.
I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who wanted to be pretty . . .

Aza's singing is the fairest in all the land, and the most unusual. She can "throw" her voice so it seems to come from anywhere. But singing is only one of the two qualities prized in the Kingdom of Ayortha. Aza doesn't possess the other: beauty. Not even close. She's hidden in the shadows in her parents' inn, but when she becomes lady-in-waiting to the new queen, she has to step into the light—especially when the queen demands a dangerous favor. A magic mirror, a charming prince, a jealous queen, palace intrigue, and an injured king twine into a maze that Aza must penetrate to save herself and her beloved kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

In a land where beauty and singing are valued above all else, Aza eventually comes to reconcile her unconventional appearance and her magical voice, and learns to accept herself for who she truly is.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,947,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible