The Promise of a Letter (An Amish Letters…

The Promise of a Letter (An Amish Letters Novel) (edition 2017)

by Kathleen Fuller (Author)

1341,018,482 (4.6)None
Member:lanehillhouse
Title:The Promise of a Letter (An Amish Letters Novel)
Authors:Kathleen Fuller (Author)

The Promise of a Letter by Kathleen Fuller, © 2017
Amish Letters series, Book 2

~* in the heart of Ohio Amish country *~

Birch Creek ~
I like how mail for Leanna Chupp is left in the mailbox for her to discover for herself. The hidden art of self-expression! Leanna lives in the smaller dawdi haus behind the main house she and her brother, Jalon, had grown up in on the now expanded farm. She shares her Maine Coon cat, Blue, with her nephew's affection. The opening has her on her way home from work ~ upon her roller blades!

Leanna is content with her life the way it is. Her job, her home life, and her friend, Ivy Yoder, fill her days with expectation. Things are about to change to ruffle her space in Birch Creek. Roman Raber is returning home.

Roman never thought he would return, but on the bidding of a letter left for him at the passing of his dear grandmother, Roman must respond to her last wishes for him. How long can it take to complete her request?

Daniel Raber isn't the easiest person to be around; others might concur. Has hurt crept in so deep to foul his ways? The intent of a miserable heart misleads a promise of surrender. Could it really be possible to forgive and relinquish pain?

New hopes arise as families come together to polish each other by allowing a trust to enter.

I especially liked this story! Relinquished hearts turn from hiding. Excellent writing of heart desires exposed to self as well.

***Thank you to author Kathleen Fuller and to Fiction Guild for a copy of The Promise of a Letter. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Dec 29, 2017 |
The second installment of An Amish Letters Novel is one which does an excellent job on the subject of forgiveness and trust. I found the story to be emotional and well written. The author takes a subject that is hard for many and walks characters gently through the steps with compassion and understanding. One of the hardest things I've found is to forgive and trust. It has been a stumbling block in my walk with God. After reading this story, I find myself feeling at peace knowing what I must do to be free from the bondage that has held me back for so long.

I want to start with the character Roman because I can relate to him so well. Having grown up in a home where there was no love was very difficult for me. I resented my parents and it hurt to know I was never wanted. Roman has decided he should leave the Amish and start over somewhere else. . He didn't have a good childhood and I think the hurt of having parents that never showed any affection was very difficult for him and his brother. It was nice to know that their grandmother stepped in and showed them that they were loved and wanted. When Roman receives a letter from his grandmother, he finds his life changed forever. She had one last wish and wanted Roman to promise to fulfill it. Can you imagine how hard it was for Roman to go home and face his brother?

Leanna is a great character who is very smart , has a keen eye for working on mechanical things like engines and other things. It is not an ideal job for a woman among the Amish but I loved how the author showed how Leanna could do the work with no problem. She is happy at her job until gossip starts up about her. We hear it spoke of many times at church, but gossip seems to get hold of people and before you know it, it is spread like wildfire. What people forget is that gossip can be hurtful and can destroy a person. I thought the author did a wonderful job showing readers how gossip can change an innocent person's life.

There are some very heartbreaking moments in the story that will test Barbara and Daniel's faith. I loved the moments they shared as they grew closer during a tragedy. Can Roman find his way back to his brother and reconcile? Will the brothers be able to forgive each other and theirselves? Do Roman and Leanna find a way to start more than a friendship between them? Don't miss this beautiful story of redemption, trust , faith and forgiveness.

I received a copy of this book from The Fiction Guild. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 5, 2017 |
The Promise of a Letter by Kathleen Fuller is the second An Amish Letters Novel. It is August in Birch Creek, Ohio. Roman Raber left his Amish community of Draperville, but things have not gone as planned. He wishes to go to college to become an engineer, but he cannot get the funding he needs. Roman receives a missive telling him his beloved grandmother has passed away. She left him a letter suggesting that he reconcile with his brother, Daniel. Roman knows it will not be easy, but he does know it is the right decision. Roman knows that Daniel will not make the task easy, but Roman is hoping Daniel will forgive him in time.

Leanna Chupp is an unusual Amish woman. She is twenty-four, 6-foot-tall, unmarried and works at Daniel Raber’s small engine repair shop. Leanna enjoys her work (has a knack for it) and is happy with her independence. Shortly after Roman returns to the community and starts working at Raber’s Small Engine Repair, Leanna finds herself out of a job without a warning or a reason. An accident brings Roman and Leanna together to work towards a mutual goal. They slowly get to know each other, and Leann begins to envision a different future for herself. But is Roman ready to commit to the Amish community? Will Daniel be able to forgive his brother?

The Promise of a Letter is a well-written, has a steady pace and beautiful setting. I liked the characters especially Leanna Chupp. I found her to be a refreshing change. I appreciated that she had an unusual occupation and that she was not afraid to be herself. It was nice that the pair become friends and get to know each other before the romance develops. The story had good life lessons (giving and accepting forgiveness, power of prayer, holding on to your faith, gossip). My favorite was the harmful effects of rumors/gossip. The Christian element is noticeable, but it was light (handled very well). My rating for The Promise of a Letter is 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). I did feel that the ending was rushed. The Promise of a Letter is a sweet, heartwarming story with good messages. I am looking forward to reading the next book in An Amish Letters series that will contain Ivy’s story. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Aug 30, 2017 |
This is the second book in The Amish Novels Series, and just as good as the first, in fact the people we learned to love are right here.
I adore it when a book continues with the folks we lived with in the first book, and this one will warm your heart. Phoebe and Jalon are now married and expecting a baby, and Leanna is working for Daniel, fixing motors, she is not a girly girl.
We catch up with Daniel and Barbara, and your heart will break for them. A very sad happening is a catalyst for bringing Roman back to Birch Creek, Ohio, and a reunion with Leanna, and if you are familiar, they were like oil and water.
Be ready to be absorbed into the Amish life in this community, whether you are sitting down for dinner, or playing in the yard with the children, and living their faith. The community has their share of gossips and like everywhere; they spread their damage by words, and we see how all are affected.
We are all called on by our faith to offer forgiveness, and as shown here it is not always easy, but satisfying when offered. Will Leanna and Daniel and Barbara be able to live their faith and forgive Roman?
Once you turn the first page you will be compelled to keep reading, and now I can’t wait for the next book in this series, Ivy’s!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Thomas Nelson, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Aug 15, 2017 |

"Bestselling Amish author Kathleen Fuller returns to beloved Birch Creek and explores the power of letters and the joy of true love"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,576,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible