Mrs. Kimble (P.S.) by Jennifer Haigh

Mrs. Kimble (P.S.) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Jennifer Haigh

Member:Goldberrygal
Title:Mrs. Kimble (P.S.)
Authors:Jennifer Haigh
Info:
Rating:***

Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh (2003)

English (37)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
Readable but boring. Forgettable. ( )
  flippinpages | Oct 17, 2014 |
This is absoloutly one of my favorite books of all time and yes it was well worth the read ...I loved , loved , loved this book and yes a definately 5 star book . I did not want it to end .
  phonelady61 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Another 5 star read for Jennifer Haigh. I can't explain it. I have read three of her books and each although totally different, has been a five star read. I guess I enjoy her writing. A guy who seems to be a chameleon marries three very different women. He woos them and then loses interest. Each woman seems to have a flaw that makes them drawn to his charms. ( )
  dara85 | Dec 5, 2013 |
Easy and great read.
  niquetteb | Nov 22, 2013 |
These were the stories of the three successive Mrs Kimbles, married to the one inscrutable Mr Kimble.
Somehow Ken Kimble was able to charm and seduce and marry these women, but the marriages quickly revealed there was nothing beneath his thin veneer. Really nothing. The wives learned they never knew their husband, and we the readers will never know him either. We are just as mystified as they are as to who this man is, where he came from, and why he was like he was. It was a nice maneuver that enhanced our appreciation of the imbalance.
This is the first book I've read by Jennifer Haigh. I like her writing style. It flows smoothly and easily, without clumsy intrusions. This was her first novel yet it was amazingly polished and well crafted, a deserving winner of the PEN/Hemingway award for debut fiction. I will look for another of hers. ( )
  BCbookjunky | Oct 12, 2013 |
The author wishes to thank Claire Wachtel, Michael Morrison, Juliette Shapland, and Dorian Karchmar at Lowenstein Associates for the extraordinary support of this book. James Michener and the Copernicus Society of America, for their generous financial assistance; and Dan Pope, for everything else.
The man died alone, in a baby blue Eldorado on Route A1A, waiting for the drawbridge to be lowered.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060858788, Paperback)

Sometimes a book can be utterly full of holes and you still can't put it down. In Mrs. Kimble, first-time novelist Jennifer Haigh follows the marital career of Ken Kimble, opportunist, serial husband, and all around schmuck. The first section, set in Virginia in the 1960s, revolves around alcoholic first wife Birdie. As we enter the story, Kimble has already left her alone with two small children she is ill equipped to raise on her own. Kimble's absence in this section sets the tone for the book, which is not so much about Kimble himself as it is about the women he dupes over the years. Next up is Joan, a Newsweek reporter recovering from a mastectomy at her late father's home in Florida. A wealthy, confident woman left unsteady by breast cancer, she falls for Kimble, who now turns up in a hippie-ish incarnation. In the final section, Kimble weds Dinah, who had been his children's babysitter back in Virginia. Their marriage unravels as, at the end of the book, Kimble's secrets are revealed one by one. Unfortunately, the central secret of the book is never laid bare: how did the man get to be such a jerk? Other problems are never dealt with, either: we never believe a whip-smart woman like Joan could be so transparently snow-jobbed. We never understand why Dinah stays with an aging crook. Nevertheless, Mrs. Kimble is still engrossing. Haigh is so gifted at creating vivid scenes and strong characters, we find ourselves surrendering our disbelief despite our better judgment. This isn't the terrific book it might have been, but it's still a superior read. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:30 -0400)

Follows twenty-five years in the life of a charismatic opportunist as seen through the eyes of his three wives.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,400,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible