The Shadow List by Todd Moss

The Shadow List

by Todd Moss

'The Shadow List' was a bit of a disappointment. It has a somewhat interesting plot involving both CIA guy Judd Ryker and his wife Jessica, also a spy in a different unit. Although their respective assignments are continents apart, there ends up being a connection.

Todd Moss clearly knows the Africa milieu and does a nice job on the 'spy' stuff. His writing is fine in general but his dialogue, which I find often makes or breaks a book for me, is weak and stands in the way of an otherwise decent story.

I've read the 1st and 4th installments in the Ryker series and now think I need to backtrack to check out the other two. It's a good series in my favorite genre. ( )
  gmmartz | Aug 10, 2018 |
So this novel is really fast-paced. There are a lot of characters and there's a lot going on, so you really need to stay focused. It was quite easy to follow in spite of my complete lack of background on the series. However, I would recommend that interested readers start from the beginning so that they can have a better understanding of the story and characters. While the story was interesting, I found that it was a little too convoluted. There were too many angles and too many things going on that didn't tie up as well as I wish they would have. Even though the author chose a really interesting topic to base the story on, I felt my interest wane as too many things were thrown in and not enough was explored at times; it just felt like it was missing some depth. I had no problem with pacing or character development. But if I had to compare this to the Sigma Force series, then I would definitely prefer the Sigma Force series. For me, this novel was just okay and I would give it a 2.5/5 rounded to 3 stars.

Thank you to Penguin Random House and the First to Read program for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |

"A cutting-edge novel of international crime and its consequences, from Nigeria to Russia to Washington, from the former deputy assistant secretary of state. We laugh when it pops up in our inbox: the scam letter promising a windfall. We wonder: How does anybody fall for these things? But it is no laughing matter. It is one of the biggest organized crime rackets in the world, it is deadly - and State Department crisis manager Judd Ryker has fallen right into the middle of it. The disappearance of a young American in London sends Ryker into the heart of a corruption scandal in Nigeria, at the same time his CIA agent wife Jessica finds herself chasing a Russian master criminal known as the Bear. Unknown to either of them, they are pulling at two ends of the same lethal thread, a staggeringly vicious enterprise of piracy, extortion, and murder. The world is messy and dangerous, Jessica warns her husband. More dangerous than you know. But he is about to find out"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,945,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible