Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food…

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (2007)

by Barbara Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp (Author), Camille Kingsolver (Author)

When Kingsolver and her family move from suburban Arizona to rural Appalachia, they take on a new challenge: to spend a year on a locally produced diet, paying close attention to the provenance of all they consume. "Our highest shopping goal was to get our food from so close to home, we'd know the person who grew it. Often that turned out to be ourselves as we learned to produce what we needed, starting with dirt, seeds, and enough knowledge to muddle through. Or starting with baby animals, and enough sense to refrain from naming them."--From publisher description.… (more)
    The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (SqueakyChu, heidialice, booklove2)
    SqueakyChu: Both books address a way of working with our current food culture.
    The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm by Terra Brockman (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both are delightful to read and tell the story of sustainable growing and eating throughout the year, with recipes and family contributions to the books. You might not want to read them both in the same month, but if you liked one, I bet you'll like the other.… (more)
    Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich (sonyagreen)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas (hipdeep)
    hipdeep: Not a book about slow food, but for my money a far more interesting memoir of an urbanite's move to a farm.
    The New English Kitchen: Changing the Way You Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince (hipdeep)
    Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese by Brad Kessler (Muriel743)
    Muriel743: Covers similar topics - i.e. mainly urban people pursuing food self-sufficiency, forming relationships with rural community and neighbours and learning the skills needed to feed themselves.
    An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (sturlington)

English (233)  French (1)  All languages (234)
Overall interesting, educational and usually (though sometimes not) motivating. I liked most of it and even loved parts - the turkeys! - but, yeah, okay, I skimmed a tiny bit on the more philosophical musings. The ending (which can really weight my overall rating of a book) left me with a big, happy smile and a warm, fuzzy feeling of celebration. So yeah, I'm going to keep this one around, at the very least because I want to try the cheese recipe. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Nov 12, 2019 |
I learned that apparently, it's easy to make your own cheese. And lots of other good stuff. ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
Though some of the facts presented in this story are covered by The Omnivore's Dilemma, it has a charm of its own. Kingsolver and her family challenge themselves to live on locally produced food for a year. It helps that they live on a small farm and are often able to work from home. The audiobook is read by the authors, which can sometimes be a mistake, but she, and they do a fine job injecting warmth and humor into the narrative. You will probably learn things about turkeys that you have never heard before... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Thoroughly enjoying, as well as eye opening. Kingsolver's experiment of a year of living locally was a joy to read, has made me more aware of the choices I make when shopping, and the recipes are quite good too! ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Great book about eating organic food, running your farm, & family. Probably won't convert you but if you are on the fence about food choices, check it out. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Jiménez, NoeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kingsolver, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kingsolver, CamilleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picture a single imaginary plant, bearing throughout one season all the different vegetables we harvest...we'll call it a vegetannual.
In memory of Jo Ellen
This story about good food begins in a quick-stop convenience market.
If everything my heart desired was handed to me on a plate, I’d probably just want something else. (Camille Kingsolver)
We all cultivate illusions of safety that could fall away in the knife edge of one second.”
People who are grieving walk with death every waking moment. When the rest of us dread that we’ll somehow remind them of death’s existence, we are missing their reality.
Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There’s the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seeds: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,354,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible