Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food…

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Barbara Kingsolver

5,747208738 (4.16)343
Member:theolojen
Title:Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:sociology, gardening, agriculture, sustainability, cooking

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (2007)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (SqueakyChu, heidialice, booklove2)
    SqueakyChu: Both books address a way of working with our current food culture.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich (sonyagreen)
    The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm by Terra Brockman (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both are delightful to read and tell the story of sustainable growing and eating throughout the year, with recipes and family contributions to the books. You might not want to read them both in the same month, but if you liked one, I bet you'll like the other.… (more)
    Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas (hipdeep)
    hipdeep: Not a book about slow food, but for my money a far more interesting memoir of an urbanite's move to a farm.
    An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (sturlington)
    The New English Kitchen: Changing the Way You Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince (hipdeep)
    Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese by Brad Kessler (Muriel743)
    Muriel743: Covers similar topics - i.e. mainly urban people pursuing food self-sufficiency, forming relationships with rural community and neighbours and learning the skills needed to feed themselves.

English (206)  French (1)  All languages (207)
copy

I know there are those that didn't like this book as the author came across smug, self-righteous, and preachy. Would I be able to do a year through fresh food? No, I don't have the land or help. I do raise Sun Gold tomatoes each year and hope to find some Juliets as well since the Romas didn't go over too well last year. When listing her garden exercises of "pitchfork free weights, weed-pull yoga, and Hoe Master" I did note that she left out shovel stepping, a favorite of mine. I did learn a lot from this book and chuckled at her setting the security so no one would break in and leave them zucchini, bringing pumpkin seeds back from Italy, and encouraging your turkeys to mate. When the Farmer's Market is open for the season I do shop there and was already more watchful of where grocery items were coming from in their smaller and smaller packaging before reading this book. There is a lot of information packed in this book along with some enticing recipes. Any self-righteousness I ignored as I was busy learning ( )
  lisa.schureman | Apr 18, 2015 |
The story of the family's quest to grow a garden, eat foods grown organically from the local farmer's markets and saving money by eating healthier. ( )
  berthacummins | Nov 30, 2014 |
Excellent story of her family's project of eating locally and sustainably for one year. Perfect for anyone interested in food, health, the food industry and the environment. ( )
  kelli413 | Nov 30, 2014 |
Many a nice review have been written about this book already, both positive and negative, so I'll just add my two cents.

This book definitely inspired me to grow some of the things that I eat. Whether it'll be a couple of herbs or an epic kitchen garden at my parents' summer house, I haven't decided yet.

And this book definitely reminded me that when I speak and write of my environmental concerns, I should watch my tone closely.

Also, I'm a vegetarian. There's no need to shun us, we're nice. As are chickens. I can't harvest things that, you know, run around and make noises.

Also, though widely adapted into Russian cuisine, borscht is Ukrainian. And neither of these two food cultures consist of borscht only. ( )
  cupocofe | Jul 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. Interesting look at living off the land. ( )
  readingfiend | Jul 16, 2014 |

Daniel, HankPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houser, Richard A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jiménez, NoeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picture a single imaginary plant, bearing throughout one season all the different vegetables we harvest...we'll call it a vegetannual.
In memory of Jo Ellen
This story about good food begins in a quick-stop convenience market.
If everything my heart desired was handed to me on a plate, I’d probably just want something else. (Camille Kingsolver)
We all cultivate illusions of safety that could fall away in the knife edge of one second.”
People who are grieving walk with death every waking moment. When the rest of us dread that we’ll somehow remind them of death’s existence, we are missing their reality.
Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There’s the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seeds: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time.

Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family abandoned the industrial-food pipeline to live a rural life—vowing that, for one year, they’d only buy food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an enthralling narrative that will open your eyes in a hundred new ways to an old truth: You are what you eat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Follows the author's family's efforts to live on locally- and home-grown foods, an endeavor through which they learned lighthearted truths about food production and the connection between health and diet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,903,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible