Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food…

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Member:theolojen
Title:Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Info:HarperCollins (2007), Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:sociology, gardening, agriculture, sustainability, cooking

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (2007)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (SqueakyChu, heidialice, booklove2)
    SqueakyChu: Both books address a way of working with our current food culture.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich (sonyagreen)
    The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm by Terra Brockman (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both are delightful to read and tell the story of sustainable growing and eating throughout the year, with recipes and family contributions to the books. You might not want to read them both in the same month, but if you liked one, I bet you'll like the other.… (more)
    Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas (hipdeep)
    hipdeep: Not a book about slow food, but for my money a far more interesting memoir of an urbanite's move to a farm.
    An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (sturlington)
    The New English Kitchen: Changing the Way You Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince (hipdeep)
    Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese by Brad Kessler (Muriel743)
    Muriel743: Covers similar topics - i.e. mainly urban people pursuing food self-sufficiency, forming relationships with rural community and neighbours and learning the skills needed to feed themselves.

English (224)  French (1)  All languages (225)
Well, this book has thoroughly annoyed me.
I couldn't make it through the snooze-inducing first chapters without putting the book down a number of times, so I decided to borrow the audio version from the library.
Currently on CD 10, I'm finding Kingsolver and her family more and more self-righteous and irritating. (It doesn't help that aside from Kingsolver herself, the other family members have less-than-thrilling reading voices)

I eat organic and local; I try to eat in season; I am an avid environmentalist. Heck, I even compost in my small apartment. But am I good enough? Not for Kingsolver, I'm not.
And in a surprising (at least to me) turn of events, she takes a few digs at vegans and vegetarians, even including rather detailed accounts of turkey killing. She even claims to know an innkeeper who has persuaded 75% of her veggie patrons to eat meat or dairy.

Good for you, Barbara. Now if you'll kindly move along and share your holier-than-though attitude with someone else, I'll be on to my next book. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
It's pretty easy to tell from my shelf that I like reading about food, and this book was no exception. It inspired me to plant some broccoli and lettuce last weekend and sign up for a "subscription" to a local farming co-op sort of thing. ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
Victory gardens are in! If you want to know how to grow yours, this is a good book to start reading - one month at a time. If you are already doing it, this is a well written refresher course. If you just want to know what all the fuss is about, read this book. My one criticism is that it does get too preachy, but just when you think you can't take it anymore, Kingsolver takes you to Italy! Or to Dia de Los Muertos.

The book is about her family's journey through one year during their vow to eat only home grown or locally grown food. Is that even possible in this day and age? Here is a quote from Alice in Wonderland that Kingsolver came across during her journey:

"There is no use trying,' Alice said, 'One can't believe impossible things.'

"I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen, 'when I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."'

- A farmer's daughter myself, I long for fresh garden food and thought I had a pretty good handle on it, but this book helped expand my imagination and my garden. Give it a try! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Anna Bentinck
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Loved the premise, agree completely with the idea / goal of eating local & supporting your local economy, but this was an underwhelming, preachy book, with little regard for many people's economic & neighborhood realities - and I just don't buy that her kids went along with all of it so happily... My household would absolutely fight total compliance, and you know there'd be M&M's hidden in the back of my cabinets. ( )
  AmyCahillane | Feb 24, 2016 |

Daniel, HankPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houser, Richard A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jiménez, NoeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picture a single imaginary plant, bearing throughout one season all the different vegetables we harvest...we'll call it a vegetannual.
In memory of Jo Ellen
This story about good food begins in a quick-stop convenience market.
If everything my heart desired was handed to me on a plate, I’d probably just want something else. (Camille Kingsolver)
We all cultivate illusions of safety that could fall away in the knife edge of one second.”
People who are grieving walk with death every waking moment. When the rest of us dread that we’ll somehow remind them of death’s existence, we are missing their reality.
Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There’s the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seeds: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time.

Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family abandoned the industrial-food pipeline to live a rural life—vowing that, for one year, they’d only buy food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an enthralling narrative that will open your eyes in a hundred new ways to an old truth: You are what you eat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Follows the author's family's efforts to live on locally- and home-grown foods, an endeavor through which they learned lighthearted truths about food production and the connection between health and diet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible