Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food…

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp

Member:laurenpressley
Title:Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.)
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Other authors:Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:@audible

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (2007)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (SqueakyChu, heidialice, booklove2)
    SqueakyChu: Both books address a way of working with our current food culture.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich (sonyagreen)
    The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm by Terra Brockman (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both are delightful to read and tell the story of sustainable growing and eating throughout the year, with recipes and family contributions to the books. You might not want to read them both in the same month, but if you liked one, I bet you'll like the other.… (more)
    Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas (hipdeep)
    hipdeep: Not a book about slow food, but for my money a far more interesting memoir of an urbanite's move to a farm.
    An Economist Gets Lunch: New Rules for Everyday Foodies by Tyler Cowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (sturlington)
    The New English Kitchen: Changing the Way You Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince (hipdeep)
    Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese by Brad Kessler (Muriel743)
    Muriel743: Covers similar topics - i.e. mainly urban people pursuing food self-sufficiency, forming relationships with rural community and neighbours and learning the skills needed to feed themselves.

English (227)  French (1)  All (228)
I loved this book. It's based on a year when the Kingsolvers returned to live on a family farm and vowed to only eat what they could grow themselves or buy locally. They had a large vegetable garden, raised chicken and turkeys, and gathered from the farm's fruit trees and wild mushrooms on the hillsides. The author's family members made contributions both in the book's writing and in providing for the family table (her husband baked bread, her daughter raised the chickens). There is a lot of focus on eating foods in season and supporting local, renewable and organic agriculture, and information on why processed foods and large corporate farming methods are bad news.This book really inspired me to do more with my garden.... I learned a lot from Kingsolver: how to know what produce is in season (duh!), how asparagus and peanuts grow, why organic and heirloom produce (and livestock) are healthier, the mysteries of natural turkey reproduction, and much more. Least you feel overwhelmed at how much her family did to be self-sustaining, remember a few things: before beginning the experiment, they spent a whole year learning about their community, finding where to buy local produce and meats, and researching what was on the supermarket shelves. Even Kingsolver had her limits. Yes, her family made their own soft cheese, sausages, yogurt, bread and pesto, and took the poultry from yard to freezer. But other items possible to make at home they continued to buy: pasta, vinegar, hard cheese, apple cider, mayonnaise. They avoided exotic imports like bananas, but still bought some spices and seafood that was shipped from far away. And if you don't have space or time to garden, there's lots of tips on little things to do for eating better and supporting local growers. Fabulous!

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Mar 2, 2017 |
Read Michael Pollan's book, In Defense of Food for a much better book on this subject. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
For the gardening part, I would give this a 5 but for the holier-than-thou preaching part, it would get a 1. I would have given it a 3 or 4 until the last 10 pages where Kingsolver goes in for the kill and compares the everyday activities or normal life that allegedly generate 'climate change' to serial killing. Really? We can't all be college professors with enormous amounts of time on our hands, two homes, and an acre to plant whatever we want. Get over yourself, Kingsolver. Thus my overall 2. ( )
  TimDel | Feb 2, 2017 |
I am not a fan of Kingsolver's. I don't care for her writing style and find her coy and self-righteous, even though I agree with her politics much of the time. But this book - which records her family's experience of eating locally and raising or growing their own food is timely and important. Even if everyone who read this just began purchasing their produce at a farmer's market or a through a csa, it would change America's eating habits and local farm support.

This book will stay with me for a long time and I hope, change my family's eating and buying habits for the better. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This was initially a brilliant, entertaining and informative read but it became a little repetitious, albeit within different/new aspects of the theme, so I ended up skimming and only reading about Lily and turkeys properly! ( )
  BridgitDavis | Sep 27, 2016 |

Daniel, HankPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houser, Richard A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jiménez, NoeliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picture a single imaginary plant, bearing throughout one season all the different vegetables we harvest...we'll call it a vegetannual.
In memory of Jo Ellen
This story about good food begins in a quick-stop convenience market.
If everything my heart desired was handed to me on a plate, I’d probably just want something else. (Camille Kingsolver)
We all cultivate illusions of safety that could fall away in the knife edge of one second.”
People who are grieving walk with death every waking moment. When the rest of us dread that we’ll somehow remind them of death’s existence, we are missing their reality.
Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There’s the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seeds: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time.

Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family abandoned the industrial-food pipeline to live a rural life—vowing that, for one year, they’d only buy food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an enthralling narrative that will open your eyes in a hundred new ways to an old truth: You are what you eat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Follows the author's family's efforts to live on locally- and home-grown foods, an endeavor through which they learned lighthearted truths about food production and the connection between health and diet.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,314,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible