Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food…

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp

5,640205756 (4.17)333
Member:laurenpressley
Title:Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.)
Authors:Barbara Kingsolver
Other authors:Camille Kingsolver, Steven L. Hopp
Info:Harper Perennial (2008), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:@audible

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (2007)

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (SqueakyChu, heidialice, booklove2)
    SqueakyChu: Both books address a way of working with our current food culture.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm by Terra Brockman (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both are delightful to read and tell the story of sustainable growing and eating throughout the year, with recipes and family contributions to the books. You might not want to read them both in the same month, but if you liked one, I bet you'll like the other.… (more)
    Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich (sonyagreen)
    Fifty Acres and a Poodle: A Story of Love, Livestock, and Finding Myself on a Farm by Jeanne Marie Laskas (hipdeep)
    hipdeep: Not a book about slow food, but for my money a far more interesting memoir of an urbanite's move to a farm.
    Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (sturlington)
    The New English Kitchen: Changing the Way You Shop, Cook and Eat by Rose Prince (hipdeep)
    Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese by Brad Kessler (Muriel743)
    Muriel743: Covers similar topics - i.e. mainly urban people pursuing food self-sufficiency, forming relationships with rural community and neighbours and learning the skills needed to feed themselves.

English (203)  French (1)  All languages (204)
Many a nice review have been written about this book already, both positive and negative, so I'll just add my two cents.

This book definitely inspired me to grow some of the things that I eat. Whether it'll be a couple of herbs or an epic kitchen garden at my parents' summer house, I haven't decided yet.

And this book definitely reminded me that when I speak and write of my environmental concerns, I should watch my tone closely.

Also, I'm a vegetarian. There's no need to shun us, we're nice. As are chickens. I can't harvest things that, you know, run around and make noises.

Also, though widely adapted into Russian cuisine, borscht is Ukrainian. And neither of these two food cultures consist of borscht only. ( )
  cupocofe | Jul 25, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. Interesting look at living off the land. ( )
  readingfiend | Jul 16, 2014 |
Reading this as a gardener, and at the end of a 10 day attempt to find real food to eat while travelling in the US (I live in Europe) I really enjoyed it.

I must say that I think those who accuse Kingsolver of being preachy are either in denial about the state of US food, or already feel guilty about their diets. She makes it clear that she understands the various limits people have, and that each of us has to decide what is practicle for us. I'm really glad I live where I have a garden and local growers I can buy from directly. (But I'm not giving up bananas. I buy fairtrade, but I do eat them much of the year.) ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | May 21, 2014 |
This was a life changing read. Parts of this book will remain with me for a very long time. I will not look at food the same way again. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Insightful and interesting read about the author and her family's 1 year experiment to try and only eat food they've grown or raised or buy food within a 100 mile radius of their home. The passion with which the author writes about food, both the growing and preparation, inspired me to try and eat more seasonably and locally. There's a lot of great information about gardening, canning, freezing, preparation and heirloom varieties of produce and animals. I highly recommend this book to everyone. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |

Barbara Kingsolverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hopp, Steven L.Authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kingsolver, CamilleAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Houser, Richard A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Metsch, FritzDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picture a single imaginary plant, bearing throughout one season all the different vegetables we harvest...we'll call it a vegetannual.
In memory of Jo Ellen
This story about good food begins in a quick-stop convenience market.
If everything my heart desired was handed to me on a plate, I’d probably just want something else. (Camille Kingsolver)
We all cultivate illusions of safety that could fall away in the knife edge of one second.”
People who are grieving walk with death every waking moment. When the rest of us dread that we’ll somehow remind them of death’s existence, we are missing their reality.
Wake up now, look alive, for here is a day off work just to praise Creation: the turkey, the squash, and the corn, these things that ate and drank sunshine, grass, mud, and rain, and then in the shortening days laid down their lives for our welfare and onward resolve. There’s the miracle for you, the absolute sacrifice that still holds back seeds: a germ of promise to do the whole thing again, another time.

Author Barbara Kingsolver and her family abandoned the industrial-food pipeline to live a rural life—vowing that, for one year, they’d only buy food raised in their own neighborhood, grow it themselves, or learn to live without it. Part memoir, part journalistic investigation, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an enthralling narrative that will open your eyes in a hundred new ways to an old truth: You are what you eat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:18 -0400)

Follows the author's family's efforts to live on locally- and home-grown foods, an endeavor through which they learned lighthearted truths about food production and the connection between health and diet.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible