Home Safe: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg

Home Safe: A Novel (original 1998; edition 2009)

by Elizabeth Berg

Member:hangen
Title:Home Safe: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth Berg
Info:Ballantine Books (2009), Paperback, 288 pages

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg (1998)

The Victory Club by Robin Lee Hatcher (wrz2)
    wrz2: A wonderful story of hope and faith of the women at home during WWII
    The Beach House by Jane Green (whimsicalkitten)
    whimsicalkitten: If you like Elizabeth Berg, you'll love the Beach House.
    Tender Grace by Jackina Stark (infiniteletters)
    Promise the Moon by Elizabeth Joy Arnold (Anonymous user)
    The Richest Season by Maryann Mcfadden (kitkeller)
    kitkeller: I didn't expect to finish this book -- I had convinced myself it was trite, maybe Christian-fiction. So I tried a couple of times to just put it down and move on to another book. But I *kept coming back* until I finally acknowledged, I like this book, and I really want to know what happens to these people. I recommend it -- you will care what happens. It's well-written and NOT trite and NOT Christian-fiction.… (more)
    Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher (chlibmaria)

I love this author, and parts of the story were great, but other parts really dragged for me. ( )
  booksniff | Aug 20, 2014 |
One of my favorite authors, but not one of my favorite books. A woman struggles to come to terms with her life after her husband's death! Even though it's not one of my faves, i love books about writers and Elizabeth Berg's writing always leaves one feeling uplifted and inspired. She always has such insight into life and what it's all about! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Mar 13, 2014 |
I continue to love Elizabeth Berg. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 22, 2014 |
If we look at the path, we do not
see the sky. We are earth people
on a spiritual journey to the stars.
Our quest, our earth walk, is to look
within, to know who we are, to see that
we are connected to all things,
that there is no separation,
only in the mind.
--Native American, source unknown
You get the hovering gray of early morning, or late afternoon-- the hours of yearning.
There's the wind and the rain

And the mercy of the fallen. . .

There's the weak and the strong

And the many stars that guide us

We have some of them inside us

--Dar Williams

"The Mercy of the Fallen"
Again the pyrocanthus berries redden in the rain, as if return were return. It is not. The familiar is not the thing it reminds of.
Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer.
For Jean-Isabel NcNutt
For those who have gone before us.
For Pat Raming and Marianne Raming Burke
For women with cancer
who have found their fire,
and for those who are
still searching.
For Jennifer Sarene Berg and Julie Marin Krintzman
Dear Martin, I know you think I keep that green rock by my bed because I like its color.
I had been right to want to drive to the midwest, taking only the back roads.
Oftentimes on summer evenings, I would sit outside with my mother and look at the constellations.
This morning, before I came to Ruth's house, I made yet another casserole for my husband and my daughter.
You know before you know, of course. You are bending over the dryer, pulling out the still-warm sheets, and the knowledge walks up your backbone. You stare at the man you love and you are staring at nothing; he is gone before he is gone
Sex is so shaky and mysterious. I will never unravel it.
…it had put them on the fast track for being comfortable with each other. As they were, ever after. Always comfortable in a way that Dan described as home safe.
I do not believe the army is a good idea for people with regular human hearts.
Without her husband or the practice of laying out words on a page, she feels that she spends her days rattling around inside herself; that, whereas she used to be a whole and happy woman, now she is many pieces of battered self, slung together in a sack of skin.
What she feels, suddenly, is that she has come to see Dan. He is not here, but here he is.

Contains: The day I ate whatever I wanted -- Returns and exchanges -- The party -- Over the hill and into the woods -- Full count -- Rain -- The day I ate nothing I even remotely wanted -- Mrs. Ethel Menafee and Mrs. Birdie Stoltz -- Double diet -- The only one of millions just like him -- Truth or dare -- How to make an apple pie -- Sin City.

In this stunning novel, beloved bestselling author Elizabeth Berg weaves a beautifully written and richly resonant story of a mother and daughter in emotional transit. Helen Ames–recently widowed, coping with grief, unable to do the work that has always sustained her–is beginning to depend too much on her twenty-seven-year-old daughter, Tessa, meddling in her life and offering unsolicited advice. Then Helen is shocked to discover that her mild-mannered and seemingly loyal husband was apparently leading a double life. When a phone call from a stranger sets Helen on a surprising path of discovery, both mother and daughter reassess what they thought they knew about each other, themselves, and what really makes a home and a family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:59 -0400)

Recently widowed Helen Ames and her twenty-seven-year-old daughter Tessa discover that money has disappeared in several big withdrawals from the Ames' retirement savings. What Helen's husband did with all their money turns out to be provocative, revelatory--and leads Helen and her daughter to embark on new adventures, and change.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted by Elizabeth Berg was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,304,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible