dismiss

Out to Canaan (1997)

by Jan Karon

Series: Mitford Years (4)

Thousands of readers have come home to Mitford, the little town with the big heart, whose endearing and eccentric residents have become like family members. But now change is coming to the hamlet. Father Tim, the Episcopal rector, and his wife Cynthia are pondering retirement; a brash new mayoral candidate is calling for aggressive development; a suspicious realtor with plans for a health spa is eyeing the beloved house on the hill; and, worst of all, the Sweet Stuff Bakery may be closing. Meanwhile, ordinary people are leading the extraordinary lives that hundreds of thousands of readers have found so inviting and inspiring. Peopled with the lovable cast of characters familiar to so many, and peppered with plenty of new and colorful personalities, Out to Canaan is filled to the brim with the mysteries and miracles that make everyday life worth living, and that make Mitford one of the most memorable small towns in recent literature.… (more)

In this delightful story about the town of Mitford and the folks who live there, you will deal with Father Tim turning 64 and announcing his upcoming retirement. Then there will be a Mayoral election race that gives the long-term mayor a real run for her money. There are also a lot of interesting real estate deals going on around town. As someone said in the back of the book; "Readers new and old will be reassured that the uncommon delight of life in Mitford lives on".

Once again I enjoyed my visit to Mitford. The town really is starting to grow on me. This is a story that you feel good about reading, where people have their quirks, but you grow to love them as they are. And I never fail to laugh out loud at least once while reading each story. ( )
  judyg54 | May 1, 2020 |
Millions of readers have come home to Mitford, the little town with the big heart, whose endearing and eccentric residents have become like family members. But now change is coming to the hamlet. Father Tim, the Episcopal rector, and his wife, Cynthia, are pondering retirement; a brash new mayoral candidate is calling for aggressive development; a suspicious realtor with plans for a health spa is eyeing the beloved house on the hill; and, worst of all, the Sweet Stuff Bakery may be closing. Meanwhile, ordinary people are leading the extraordinary lives that hundreds of thousands of readers have found so inviting and inspiring.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 20, 2020 |
Book jacket synopsis: * Father Tim, the Episcopal rector, and his talented and vivacious wife, Cynthia, are pondering the murky uncertainties of retirement. They're also trying to locate the4 scattered siblings of Dooley Barlowe, the mountain boy they love as their own. A brash new mayoral candidate is calling for aggressive development, and a tough survivor must hunker down for the fight of her life. Worse, the Sweet Stuff Bakery may be closing, and a suspicious real estate agent is trying to turn the beloved house on the hill into a spa. Can change be coming to Mitford? The buzz on Main Street says yes. Change is certainly coming to the tenderest regions of several townspeople's lives. A woman struggles every day to stay on course after years of hard living. A man tries to forgive himself for a tragic mistake. And the town's most eligible bachelor leaves Mitford- and returns with a stunning surprise.*

This is the 4th book in the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I have found that I really enjoy these books. They are easy reads and the characters are slightly eccentric with everyday problems and I find them lovable. I also find myself wondering what will happen next in their lives. Father Tim always has a prayer and the complete faith that everything will work out the way it is supposed to, for good or ill. I love his blind faith and these books always leave me with higher spirits and a sense of faith and trust in life. ( )
  Tanya-D | Jun 12, 2019 |
This is the 4th in the Mitford Series. In hometown Mitford, change is coming. A new major, a retiring rector, a closing factory......can ordinary people keep body and soul together?
  Indiancreek | Dec 13, 2017 |
I continue to enjoy Karon’s wonderful slice of American life. Mitford continues to charm me, with the affable and sometimes bumbling Father Tim, his practical and supportive wife Cynthia and the memorable characters that comprise the town’s citizens as a whole. The story this time focuses on the scramble of Father Tim’s approaching retirement, a mayoralty race that has the town folk buzzing with opinions, and other changes and challenges that one would expect to encounter in a sleepy, close-knit community. Easy reading to escape the reality busy work weeks, demanding deadlines and the never-ending crush of errands. It is great to “experience” Father Kavanagh’s charge, young Dooley Barlowe, growing up. I found the scene where Father Tim tries to explain the “birds and the bees” to Dooley to be a hoot, second only to Father Tim’s experiences getting haircuts – and a facial! – at the hands of the non-stop talking Fancy.

As with any series, a reader will get the most enjoyment by reading the books in series order. What not to like? Well, the only thing that is starting to wear a bit thin with me is how Father Tim calls his wife Cynthia “Kavanagh” whenever he praises or cajoles her. I realize that Father Tim is in his early 60’s and all, but I find it odd that the “pet” name that Karon has ascribed to Cynthia in the stories is Father Tim’s last name and not something that would be unique or specific to her. Let just say this makes my nose twitch as not something I would consider endearing if my other half started to refer to me by his last name in the same way as Father Tim does with Cynthia. Otherwise, another good visit to with the fine folks of Mitford.

Overall, looking forward to continuing the series. ( )
1 vote lkernagh | May 1, 2017 |

Jan Karonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Just, HalIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

City and hometown life - Fiction 4th novel in Mitford series

The village is changing. Father Tim and his wife are pondering the mrky uncertainly of retirement.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,276,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible