Tangerine by Christine Mangan

Tangerine (2018)

by Christine Mangan

The Italian Party by Christina Lynch (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both are about Americans abroad in the 1950s, with plots that depend on secrets and plots.
    The Comfort of Strangers by Ian McEwan (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both are atmospheric novels set along the Mediterranean that involve psychological manipulation of foreign travelers by locals.

What a read! Alice Shipley returns to England following a traumatic event at her Vermont college. She impulsively marries and follows her husband to Tangier. She is visited by her college roommate Lucy and that’s when the gun starts. Slowly but surely things begin to happen that make Alice question her sanity. When Alice’s aunt Maude falls under Lucy’s spell, Alice realizes all hope is lost.this is deliciously creepy and creepily delicious ( )
  cdyankeefan | Jul 4, 2019 |
The back story and build up felt laborious, but when I got to the end it felt like it was needed to build up the tension. However, it made the book feel slow moving me to me. I also felt like certain parts needed more information - they weren't "fleshed" out enough. I found the book heartbreaking. ( )
  carolfoisset | Jun 25, 2019 |
Could have been a great story, but found it very repetitive and characters flimsy. I struggled to the end, but found it disappointing - perhaps it will make a better film. ( )
  bluelagoon | Jun 1, 2019 |
I listened to the audio version of this book narrated by Barrie Kreinik and Erin Mallon. The funny thing is that I thought it was the same person voicing both Alice and Lucy. But, I noticed when the audiobook has started only Barrie Kreinik is listed as a narrator. So, no wonder I thought that it was one person. It didn't help that they voiced was very similar, only with Alice voice being softer. Anyway, that's beside the point, the narrators did a good job with this book. Part of the charm of this book was how easy the book was to listen to.

Nevertheless, I found myself having trouble connecting with the characters. I didn't think they were fleshed out enough to make me care for them. Sure, we get background events on both Alice and Lucy, but I found myself thinking after I finished the book that I couldn't see them before my eyes while I listened to the book. Frankly, all the characters felt a bit flat to me. The same thing could I say about Tangier. Because of the lack of connection with the characters and not feeling the atmosphere of Tangier couldn't I completely be engrossed in the story.

However, there was something about the story that made me continue listening, a need to know what really happened when Alice and Lucy went to school and what would happen next. I may not be totally engrossed in the story, but I was curious to know more all the way through the book. I can't say that the book surprised me, but the last part, when you realize where everything is going is quite good.

Tangerine is a so-so so book. I kind of liked the book, but I never really found myself completely enjoying the book. Perhaps if the characters had been more fleshed out and if the city had been better described in a way that I have felt transported to it had the book worked better. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Got a very strong Daphne DuMaurier vibe from this one! The discomfort and tension build slowly throughout, with some fascinating and creepy instances of gaslighting. I enjoyed the narration switching back and forth between villain and victim, with the same scene sometimes being told from different perspectives. I was disappointed though that the ending was given away at the beginning of the book, and even without that it would have been very predictable. ( )
  Erratic_Charmer | Mar 24, 2019 |
For my parents, who always believed this was possible.
And for R. K., always.
It takes three men to pull the body from the water. (Prologue)
"You cry when you arrive, and you cry when you leave."

Arriving in Tangier with her new husband only to encounter the estranged best friend she has not seen in more than a year, Alice allows her friend to introduce her to the rhythms and culture of Morocco, only to be quickly stifled by the woman's controlling nature.--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,450,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible