The Final Reflection by John M. Ford

The Final Reflection

by John M. Ford

The Klingon Way: A Warrior's Guide (Star Trek: The Klingon Book of Virtues) by Marc Okrand (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Okrand and Ford revealed the true Klingon, not the stupid Federation stereotype shown in the original series.

As Captain Kirk said at the end, "I am . . . fascinated, as Spock would say." John Ford took the Klingons and gave them a depth of background that I loved. I wish more of it had ended up in the "canon". This is one of my favorite Star Trek books. ( )
  barbgarcia1987 | Feb 11, 2012 |
One of my half-dozen favorite Star Trek books. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Apr 26, 2008 |
A fine and unusual Star Trek novel, in which the major figures only play a minor role as they read a popular new historical novel, "The Final Reflection", which tells the tale of a Klingon captain who finds he must decide whether to fight against his superiors' plan to shatter the Federation in a galactic war. This story about a principled Klingon's unfamiliar quest for peace is avidly read by the crew, and with good reason. It's a page-turner which reveals more about Klingon culture than had been previously known. It also includes a chess encounter with a seven-year-old Spock (a nicely done bit), and an infant McCoy. A good one. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 18, 2007 |
The Final Reflection is a Star Trek novel written by John M. Ford. Its the first Star Trek novel I've ever read, and from my understanding its pretty atypical. Ford, like the Enterprise liked to go where no man has gone before. Even himself. He actually wrote a second Star Trek novel, How Much for Just the Planet, which is a musical if you can believe it.

The main twist in this book, is it doesn't follow the adventures of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, but rather it has a Klingon as the main protagonist. Vrenn, is a houseless orphan who was trained to play the live version of the game klin zha, a much more complicated form of chess. During a match he gains the notice of a prominent Klingon admiral, and ends up being adopted into his line. Vrenn is now able to fulfill his dreams of becoming a naval officer. Vrenn eventually is forced to take the name of Krenn, as a political expediency, and is made captain of his own ship. Part of the price of this is he must travel to Earth to bring back a delegate from the Federation. Kreen becomes a key figure in a plot to bring about a war between the Klingon Empire and the Federation. He must determine who he can trust in order to prevent a needless, honorless war.

Ford does masterful work in representing the Klingons as noble , honorable characters, not the hated barbarians they had always been portrayed as. Keep in mind this was written in 1984, well before The Next Generation introduced us to Worf, and the concept that Klingons were anything other than "the enemy". Ford takes a universe all of us are familiar with, and makes it his own. The trouble with so many tie-in novels is that the authors have little room for original creation, but Ford never seems constrained by those limits.

I really enjoyed this book. Any fan of either Star Trek books, or Ford's work should definitely pick this up. I will be moving his other Star Trek book up in my to be read pile.

8.5 out of 10 ( )
2 vote RaceBannon42 | Jan 1, 2007 |

John M. Fordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vallejo, BorisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For J.B. after fifteen years, the genuine article.
Enterprise, dormant for nearly a week now, was waking up.

Klingon Captain Krenn is a ruthless war strategist. But on a mission to Earth, Krenn learns a lesson in peace. Suddenly he must fight a secret battle of his own. His empire has a covert plan to shatter the Federation. Only Krenn can prevent a war -- at the risk of his own life!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:47 -0400)

Krenn, a Klingon captain, is changed by contact with human civilization, and faces a test of conscience, when he learns of a Klingon plan to destroy the Federation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,380,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible