The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright

The Four-Story Mistake (1942)

by Elizabeth Enright

Series: Melendy Quartet (Book 2)

Recently added byhrelias, mbookshelf, private library, aili_kate, possumus1, Jess-Goh, Chaudhary, amyem58

The Four-Story Mistake is probably my favorite book in the Melendy Family quartet. I've loved and reread the books for decades, but this is my first listening to an audio version. Ms. Dillman is great at getting in all the nuances of Ms. Enright's humor, as I noticed when I anticipated favorite lines. I didn't miss the author's own illustrations because my memory supplied them.

The Melendy family is a nice one. I don't mean they're angelic -- the children have their faults and get into trouble, but they're a loving family. Their mother may be dead, but their father genuinely cares about them. Cuffy the housekeeper is a grandmotherly sort who knows when to scold and when to spoil. The house is the sort I'd have loved to have lived in when I was a child and wouldn't mind living in now (with a stair lift). Join Rush, Randy, Oliver, and even Mona as they explore the wonderful old place! You'll be glad you did.

My thanks to this audio version for correcting my error. I thought the family's last name was pronounced the same as 'melody' with an 'n' stuck in. Now I know it's pronounced 'Mell-lend-dee'. Good to know. ( )
1 vote JalenV | Apr 4, 2014 |
I read this series when young and lately reread this second book and still enjoyed it. In this volume the family moves from New York City to a large house in the country. I find the suggestion that a girl who used to live there ran away to be a famous ballerina incredible, but otherwise it gives a good feel for life on the home front during WW2. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 30, 2013 |
07/11
This time through, I was struck anew by the brilliance of Enright's writing. She's subtle, she's hilarious, she's... well, brilliant. I suspect she's a large part of the reason I'm such a harsh Goodreads rater.

This book is one of my favorites. Each of the characters is so distinct, so singular, so real (even the dogs, for heaven's sake) that the inclusion of "Mona said" and "Rush said" is practically superfluous.

The storyline is lovely. There's just enough, never too much. It's not the least bit dated, though it is quite firmly rooted in WWII. I'm still trying to decide what I feel dates a book, as I've had some disagreements regarding this with other Goodreads people (Wendy, I'm looking at you).

I do so love the Melendys.

01/10
I love this one more than The Saturdays. I love the wartime flavor, the feeling of what it was like to be a kid during WWII, how it permeated everything in ways I'd never thought of. I love the move to the country, and the barefoot joy that comes along with that. I love the wild night with the fever and the storm. I love the way Enright allows her lyrical style to run rampant. I love Clarinda and the caddis houses and the dam. And the illustrations, of course, oh how I love the illustrations.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Stellar narration of one of my favorite books. I'm so glad that the Enright books are so available, still. I love all the characters in this book, and I especially love Enright's ability to turn a phrase. Her firefly-spangled nights ring gloriously true. One feels just how cold the brook water is, when Rush plunges in. Highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
07/11

I do so love the Melendys.

01/10

Su, EdDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tusa, TriciaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weberman, AlisaDirector & producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"Well thank goodness there aren't going to be any more children here anyway!" said Randy crossly.

The Melendy family moves to a house in the country where a secret room, a cupola, a stable, and a brook provide Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver with adventures far different from the city life to which they are accustomed.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:33 -0400)

The Melendy family moves to a house in the country where a secret room, a cupola, a stable, and a book provide Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver with adventures far different from the city life to which they are accustomed.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible