The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright

The Four-Story Mistake (1942)

by Elizabeth Enright

Series: Melendy Quartet (Book 2)

The Melendy family has moved to the country. In the previous story, The Saturdays their brownstone in New York was damaged by fire. Father Melendy has moved his four kids (Rush, Miranda, Oliver and Mona), dog (Isaac), handyman (Willy), and housekeeper (Cuffy) to "the Four-Story mistake", a house that was supposed to have four stories, but was somehow left off during construction. It's an odd looking house since the fourth story was added after the fact. Father is often away (hence the live-in housekeeper) so the four children are left to explore their new surroundings, the countryside and the house. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 26, 2016 |
Is it weird to say that I read this book when I was in the first grade and I still remember it? (First grade was a really long time ago for me.) ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
My kids put this audiobook on during lunchtimes and car trips around town, and while I listened carefully to some parts, others got lost in the background of other things that caught my attention, like hemming my son's pants (which takes all of my brain power). Usually I don't bother hemming my son's pants. I just cuff them or let him walk on them until his legs grow into them, but these are the pants for the little suit he's wearing to my brother's wedding. If I had been willing to cut them off, it would have been easier, but I wanted to retain the length so he could wear them again if either of the two remaining unmarried siblings decided to enter into matrimony before he outgrows his size 7 trousers.

So you see, I was a bit distracted from the adventures of the Melendy children, especially during the last chapter of the book.

But what I heard and actually listened to, I quite liked. I loved the ice skating excursion and the menagerie in the police officer's house and Rush's unexpected breakfast in the woods. The descriptions of the landscape and the seasons drew me in, especially the description of the unfolding spring, although that might just be because Enright mentions spring peepers; I love spring peepers.

Even though we're heading to the library this afternoon and could take it back, this audiobook isn't due for a couple of weeks, so we're going to hold onto it and listen through it again, I think. Maybe I can pay attention better this time, or at least pay attention at different parts than I did this time so that I get the whole story. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Feb 3, 2016 |
The Four-Story Mistake is probably my favorite book in the Melendy Family quartet. I've loved and reread the books for decades, but this is my first listening to an audio version. Ms. Dillman is great at getting in all the nuances of Ms. Enright's humor, as I noticed when I anticipated favorite lines. I didn't miss the author's own illustrations because my memory supplied them.

The Melendy family is a nice one. I don't mean they're angelic -- the children have their faults and get into trouble, but they're a loving family. Their mother may be dead, but their father genuinely cares about them. Cuffy the housekeeper is a grandmotherly sort who knows when to scold and when to spoil. The house is the sort I'd have loved to have lived in when I was a child and wouldn't mind living in now (with a stair lift). Join Rush, Randy, Oliver, and even Mona as they explore the wonderful old place! You'll be glad you did.

My thanks to this audio version for correcting my error. I thought the family's last name was pronounced the same as 'melody' with an 'n' stuck in. Now I know it's pronounced 'Mell-lend-dee'. Good to know. ( )
1 vote JalenV | Apr 4, 2014 |
I read this series when young and lately reread this second book and still enjoyed it. In this volume the family moves from New York City to a large house in the country. I find the suggestion that a girl who used to live there ran away to be a famous ballerina incredible, but otherwise it gives a good feel for life on the home front during WW2. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 30, 2013 |

Su, EdDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tusa, TriciaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weberman, AlisaDirector & producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother
"Well thank goodness there aren't going to be any more children here anyway!" said Randy crossly.

The Melendy family moves to a house in the country where a secret room, a cupola, a stable, and a brook provide Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver with adventures far different from the city life to which they are accustomed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:58 -0400)

The Melendy family moves to a house in the country where a secret room, a cupola, a stable, and a book provide Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver with adventures far different from the city life to which they are accustomed.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible