The Devil's Song by Lauren Stahl

The Devil's Song

by Lauren Stahl

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have fallen so far from my reviewing on the books I have received, soo sorry...I've several books on hold from the library come in and it was just pushed to the side. I did finally was able to pick this book up,,,and was not able to put it down...this may have been my first Lauren Stahl but it will not be my last. Was hooked from the first page to the last....should come with a warning ... BEWARE ,,, CAN NOT PUT DOWN ... ( )
  JJKING | Apr 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As the daughter of a judge, Kate has found it difficult to land the challenging cases as a new prosecutor. When Kate is unexpectedly handed a case involving the serial murders of local women with red hair, she can't help but wonder if the cases are related to her in some way. As Kate and her ex-boyfriend, Nick, investigate the crimes, Kate puts her job on the line to finally get the answers she has sought since she was abducted and almost murdered as a young child.

This was an enjoyable but disturbing thriller with some twists that weren't predictable. As the first of a planned series, I would enjoy reading more from this new author, who is also a district attorney. ( )
  voracious | Apr 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Devil's Song from Lauren Stahl is a wonderfully twisty suspense novel. There are plenty of possible explanations for the crimes and at any given moment you will feel certain you know who is responsible. This is one of those novels where you were likely right several times but only partly so with no one quite playing the role you expected.

The ending leaves a nice lead-in for another Kate Magda story but it is not a cliffhanger in the sometimes annoying sense. It is simply some new developments, aside from the killings in this novel, that will, hopefully, be played out in the next volume.

I do have one thing that bothered me even though the small amount that it detracted from the novel was minuscule. That said, it was only so small because it was only brought up once. Had it been used as part of the story any further I would have been disappointed in both the novel and in Stahl. Many mysteries and suspense novels take place, to some degree, in DA offices and around other positions that are elected. If an upcoming election is mentioned, and even when it plays a significant role in the story, most writers have the sense to avoid playing partisan politics and just stick to general terms that can be easily defended from either major party. Terms like "hard [or soft] on crime" when presenting the so-called good or bad character. Neither party has a stronger argument for being hard on crime and both parties also have plenty to be ashamed of when they have been soft on crime. To mention a party affiliation, especially when it is a strong partisan view, begs for readers to then also take a partisan political stand where it is unnecessary for the story. As an example, in Alabama recently, a child predator was hailed as strong on crime mainly for his party affiliation while his opponent was labeled weak on crime even though he had successfully prosecuted a high profile KKK case, which is no small feat in Alabama. Of course, those in the other party consider him weak because he was going after the "wrong" criminals, which is another completely different social issue than simple partisan politics. Basically what I am saying is that unless an author wants to appeal only to people who are strong partisans politically they, like the vast majority of good ones do, avoid mentioning party names when implying good vs bad.

That said, the story itself was wonderful and I would highly recommend this to any reader of suspense crime thrillers. As long as future novels don't turn into partisan political nonsense I see this as the start of a strong series and other standalone books as well.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  pomo58 | Mar 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I snagged a copy of this read from LibraryThing as part of their early reviewers program in exchange for an honest review.

Prosecutor Kate Magda has landed a career defining case at the DAs office. A series of brutal murders have claimed the lives of two young women in Mission County, Pennslyvania and the circumstances surrounding their deaths niggle at Kates senses that this case is more personal than she originally thought. It seems an old childhood traumatic event has been unearthed and each new clue brings her deeper into a past she would much rather forget, but one step closer to catching the killer. Can Kate piece together clues from her past to the current murders before the killer catches up to her?

This was a pretty strong debut novel for Stahl. The story jumps off pretty much right away with Kate diving into the case headlong. She is immediately caught up in the similarities to her own childhood trauma which begins a downward spiral and unwinding of the always polished and put together attorney. I wish there had been a little more of a buildup to Kate realizing the connections to her past, more of a slow and sickening realization versus the immediate recognition. Despite that, it was still an immensely enjoyable read, in fact I finished it in two settings. The plot line was engaging and exciting, all the characters were well defined and concrete. The ending took a different turn than I was expecting, and everything fit nicely into place. It looks like Stahl is setting us up for book two with that ending, which is exciting! I think the characters have great potential to make for a good running series, and Stahl certainly has the writing chops to do it! If you are a fan of thrillers or legal fiction, this is most definitely your next read. ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Feb 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was lucky enough to receive a ARC copy of The Devil's Song via LibraryThing and from Akashic Books, Thank you!!!

My first impression of this book is that it is a simple mystery/suspense. I really liked that about this story because I have found that a lot of suspense/thriller type books, I have read, tend to go into so much detail throughout the story, regarding the characters and tend to repeat these details throughout book. Stahl keeps this one simple with Kate and Tess and therefore it is hard to put down once you start.
I ended up guessing the 'who done it' part early on but it was still an enjoyable read. The ending REALLY got me! Surprised me and know I want to know if Stahl will have a second book to this one out soon. ( )
  Nevarezboss | Jan 29, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lauren Stahl's book The Devil's Song is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible